What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Colk

First Grade
RL in Perth has always been stronger than in Melbourne. No reason a well run Perth club over the next 20 years cant be as big or bigger than the Storm have become. But yeh its just a niche of 2.2 million and growing with no value add lol.

You do realise that he is advocating for a Perth side?

He’s also right. It would be a niche within Perth i.e they won’t be as popular as the fumbleball sides at least most probably That in turn doesn’t mean it isn’t viable or the best choice but it is important to be realistic.

Iamback

Coach

He’s also right. It would be a niche within Perth i.e they won’t be as popular as the fumbleball sides at least most probably That in turn doesn’t mean it isn’t viable or the best choice but it is important to be realistic.

It is a niche sport in Melbourne too, That is realistic

Pneuma

First Grade

I’ve always advocated for a Perth side. Comments here otherwise are just fun at the Perth grumblers expense. His endless gripes about Sydney teams have worn thin. His endless whinge about pokies has worn thin. His endless complaints about V’landys have worn thin. That is the point. And now the season starts he’ll endlessly whinge about Sydney crowds. That wore thin ten years ago. Somebody give him a team and shut him up!

Perth Red

Post Whore

Just because something isnt as big as something else doesn't make it niche lol
Wildcats are hugely popular and succesful but tiny compared to the afl clubs, I wouldnt call them niche in the perth sporting landscape. If an NRl club can become the cities third biggest sports club then it will be anything but niche.

ps I was more responding to WB's negative use of the word niche in his comment: 'Perth will only ever be a nieche market and a Perth club will do very little overall to make the game bigger'

No one in their right mind would say adding melbourne to the NRL has achieved what little he is predicting Perth will achieve in terms of value and growth of the game.

Iamback

Coach
Just because something isnt as big as something else doesn't make it niche lol
Wildcats are hugely popular and succesful but tiny compared to the afl clubs, I wouldnt call them niche in the perth sporting landscape. If an NRl club can become the cities third biggest sports club then it will be anything but niche.

ps I was more responding to WB's negative use of the word niche in his comment: 'Perth will only ever be a nieche market and a Perth club will do very little overall to make the game bigger'

No one in their right mind would say adding melbourne to the NRL has achieved what little he is predicting Perth will achieve in terms of value and growth of the game.

How aren't Melbourne a team with Niche support?

Souths were a f**king basketcase until there Private sale,what makes them popular is on field success coupled with excellent branding and marketing.

With the Dolphins location, How is Fremantle any different? Or Port Adelaide for that matter?

It's really bizarre that you (and others) have developed a strict criteria about where any new expansion club can be geographically located and named.

It's got to be with 25km of the city centre or otherwise it's a failure. Do you think that the only people that attend and support Broncos matches are confined to this area??

The Dolphins have been a juggernaut in the BRL for decades, and have had far more support and success then Easts.

They are instantly my 2nd team because of the shit takes LU consistently has about them.
Have you purchased any of their merchandise?

I have.

Seriously I get it, some people don't like Perth Red's point of view. However, the expansion section of this forum has been completely ruined, not by him, but the 10 other blokes piling on with crap comments like this destroying any reasonable discussion on the threads. You have to wade through pages of crap to get any reasonable link or commentary.
Just put the trolls on your ignore lost. It makes these threads a lot easier to read.

Wb1234

Referee
None of this is logic.

It's either trolling or insular thinking.

Expanding our game into the largest city in Australia that we currently don't have a team is a niche to be pursued.

The Storm gets crowds and members as good as most of the NRL, so I'll take niche for a chance to expose the game to a larger market.
We’ve been in the biggest afl market since 98

news ltd took one hundred millions dollars as a dividend from the arl and used it to set the club up

25 years later channel nine has zero interest in showing them in Melbourne. They’ve had to raid Queensland players to prosper meaning the broncos have struggled

so being in Melbourne hasn’t had this massive boost to the nrl, why is the much smaller Perth …. Or even tinier Adelaide going to suddenly change things

we’ve already got the biggest afl market covered

Adding Perth or Adelaide on top is going to have a minimal impact on the games future and way less than every other potential spot for a team

png or nz2 > Perth

Iamback

Coach
Its all relative, Id call water polo, ice hockey, baseball etc niche sports in Melbourne. Not a club that has 40k members,18k avg attendances and is one of the most viewed nationally on tv.

you realise they had a potential fan base of 5m people?
Thrown in with a very good successful roster

The new stadium opened mid 2010,

They have averaged:

2011 - 14,246
2012 - 12,684
2013 - 16,302
2014 - 14,894
2015 - 13, 453
2016- 18,079
2017 - 18,375
2018 - 17,295
2019 - 18,230
2022 - 18,390

Seems pretty consistent but a niche following in the city, They have a 30k seater too so it isn't even they are too popular for the ground

Wb1234

Referee

They have averaged:

2011 - 14,246
2012 - 12,684
2013 - 16,302
2014 - 14,894
2015 - 13, 453
2016- 18,079
2017 - 18,375
2018 - 17,295
2019 - 18,230
2022 - 18,390

Seems pretty consistent but a niche following in the city, They have a 30k seater too so it isn't even they are too popular for the ground
For the cost of 100 million the results aren’t that impressive

what happens if they struggle to make the finals for a few years or god forbid go 35 years to win a comp like parra

just like the afl clubs in qld and nsw once the success tapers off the fans start to lose Interest

you can’t rely upon a team being always successful to make it viable

Iamback

Coach
For the cost of 100 million the results aren’t that impressive

what happens if they struggle to make the finals for a few years or god forbid go 35 years to win a comp like parra

just like the afl clubs in qld and nsw once the success tapers off the fans start to lose Interest

you can’t rely upon a team being always successful to make it viable

They are niche fan bases too

Wb1234

Referee
They are niche fan bases too
The only saving grace is the fumblers have spent billions extra on those lemons whilst the the storm only got 100 million extra

Take away the extra funding the afl gives the lions gws and the suns they die and nobody cares

Iamback

Coach
The only saving grace is the fumblers have spent billions extra on those lemons whilst we only have the storm 100 million extra

Take away the extra funding the afl gives the lions gws and the suns

they die and nobody cares

Which is why the clubs need to stand on their own, You can't have the comp prop them up long term

Wb1234

Referee
Which is why the clubs need to stand on their own, You can't have the comp prop them up long term
Imagine png had a 100 million invested in them like the storm did

they would be a way better club than the storm are today and they would be producing nrl players in record numbers and would have sell outs every week

it’s not like the arl had a choice to spend 100 million on the storm but I’m not sure it was worth the money invested

but I suppose it’s better than if news ltd had just banked it themselves

Iamback

Coach
Imagine png had a 100 million invested in them like the storm did

they would be a way better club than the storm are today and they would be producing nrl players in record numbers and would have sell outs every week

it’s not like the arl had a choice to spend 100 million on the storm but I’m not sure it was worth the money invested

but I suppose it’s better than if news ltd had just banked it themselves

They do develop QLD talent but yeah nothing from down there

MugaB

Coach
Melbourne storm is important, that 5mil of population that can be both AFL supporters and go and watch storm too, you can be both, need to learn that, so when folk talk about WA and SA its a must

Wb1234

Referee
Melbourne storm is important, that 5mil of population that can be both AFL supporters and go and watch storm too, you can be both, need to learn that, so when folk talk about WA and SA its a must
How many watch the storm on tv in Melbourne ?
If they aren’t now after 25 years and loads of success when will they ?

Canard

Immortal

They have averaged:

2011 - 14,246
2012 - 12,684
2013 - 16,302
2014 - 14,894
2015 - 13, 453
2016- 18,079
2017 - 18,375
2018 - 17,295
2019 - 18,230
2022 - 18,390

A "niche' that's bigger then all the NRL clubs bar the Broncos. C9 have shown the NRL and the Storm live for over a Decade now, before there existence the game had Zero presence here.

The Storm don't have any special device that gives them access to QLD juniors that every other club doesn't.

The Storm aren't owned by News anymore and without them we are an insular competition with only Auckland outside NSW and QLD.

WTF is your obsession with "sell outs" in a 3rd world shithole? Why would that be great for the game? Oh look we generated $12 today through ticket sales!

Latest posts