What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well-oiled Green Machine looking for passengers

LUKEY

Juniors
Well-oiled Green Machine all paid up and looking for passengers
By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby league
Monday, 21 February 2005

A comfortable trial victory, no salary cap issues and the prospect of signing one of the best players in the National Rugby League.

Things are looking healthy for the Canberra Raiders.

A day after defeating the Bulldogs 30-4 in a trial match in Gosford, Raiders general manager Don Furner yesterday confirmed Canberra was not one of up to a third of NRL clubs expected to admit to salary cap breaches this week and that Braith Anasta was a player the club would "definitely be interested in" should he not re-sign with the Bulldogs.

Anasta, Willie Mason and Sonny-Bill Williams all come off contract at Belmore at the end of the season and the Bulldogs are deep into negotiations to try and retain their kennel of stars.

It is expected teenage sensation Williams will re-sign in coming weeks for a record five- year deal but it appears the Dogs will struggle to keep both Mason and Anasta and still remain under the $3.25million salary cap.

And that's when the Raiders, like most clubs in the competition, plan to pounce.

"We'd definitely be keen on Anasta," Furner said.

"Everyone's interested in players of that quality but realistically, it may not even get to the stage where offers are possible.

"But would we be interested? Absolutely.

"[The prospect of fielding an offer] has been discussed among coaching staff [at the Raiders] but we are realistic enough to know that until May or June, we probably won't know what we can do with who." The Bulldogs have not given its trio permission to negotiate with other clubs before the NRL's June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

It is believed Anasta's current contract with the Bulldogs is worth around $400,000.

He has already been told by the club should he remain, that he will have to take a pay cut of some description but it is the extent of that cut which will determine whether or not Anasta tests his value on the open market from July.

Should he leave the high-flying club, the Bulldogs have a ready made replacement in Reni Maitua, a 22-year-old held in high regard at Belmore.

Anasta would also fit in perfectly at the Raiders next season.

New recruit Jason Smith is expected to fill the five-eighth position this year but the 32-year-old is only contracted to the club for one season.

While youngster Terry Campese impressed in Gosford on Saturday night, there is little doubt a player of Anasta's reputation would slip straight into the permanent No6 jersey.

The Raiders immediate priority is retaining its own stars Simon Woolford, Clinton Schifcofske, Ryan O'Hara and Ian Hindmarsh for next year.

Should one or more of those players not re- sign, further money would become available for a player such as Anasta.

NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert is in the process of reviewing each club's stance for season 2005.

The Panthers admitted on Saturday to being $30,000 over their $3.25million limit and up to one third of other clubs are expected to be charged for exceeding that amount in the near future.

Furner confirmed yesterday, however, that the Raiders would not be one of those sides.

"We are comfortably under. We were very tight before the Jason Bulgarelli saga and Mark McLinden left us but there are no worries at all for us now."

The Raiders paid an undisclosed sum to Lincoln Withers with some of the money made available when Bulgarelli and McLinden left. Withers' three-year deal with the club was to originally be highly back paid due to tightness in this season's cap but that has "all- but been squared up", according to Furner.

:shock: INTERESTING

sydraider

First Grade
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo not Anasta, I would gladly take mason but not Anasta please, I beg you raiders management #-o

If it is more likely that schif and germ are heading off to da UK after this season then i would use that money to target two front rowers, I fel we dont have enough depth in his department, Luke Bailey is also off contract this year, Adding mason and Bailey to our pack (although highly unrealistic in happening, but not impossible) we would be set to dominate over the next couple of years!

brenno

Juniors
please not Anasta. Management are deadset so stupid. Mason should persued but no Braith "The Cat" Anasta. Let him piss-off to rugby for all i care.

woodgers

Bench
If the young kids who were outstanding in the trial fire this year and we do well then I would presume that come June we won't be in a position for a big name buy and instead be scrambling to retain our current crop.

If we had $400,000 spare I would opt for Fielden before Anasta or Mason. If we can get the forwards to lay the platform players like Frawley, Graham, Carney and Chalk will steer us towards the top in the coming years.

Raider_69

Post Whore
A dominating forward is needed for 06
be him Feildem, SBW, Mason etc
someone like that is essential

thickos

First Grade
woodgers said:
If the young kids who were outstanding in the trial fire this year and we do well then I would presume that come June we won't be in a position for a big name buy and instead be scrambling to retain our current crop.

If we had $400,000 spare I would opt for Fielden before Anasta or Mason. If we can get the forwards to lay the platform players like Frawley, Graham, Carney and Chalk will steer us towards the top in the coming years.

Mate we'll have plenty more than $400k free... mark my words.

Despite the glut of youngsters who will require upgraded contracts, it would be almost impossible for us not to hit the player market hard come June.

That said, they have plenty to deal with with Schif, Woolford and Rhino.

brenno

Juniors
Anyone else get the feeling that this could be the last year that we see Schif and Woolford in the Lime Green?

Paullyboy

Coach
Ive never heard anything about Shif and Wooly heading elsewhere in 06 apart from this thread, is just assumptions and rumours or is there some fact behind it?

jed

First Grade
It's all assumption. It's been in about 20 other threads in here, but it's purely speculation.

aussies1st

Staff member
Can't see Mason coming here if he gtes his way as he will be in the other code. If our 5/8s step up definitely no point in buying Ansta. If Germ does leave we probably need to look for a hooker as i don't see many coming through our ranks.

Raider Azz

Bench
aussies1st said:
Can't see Mason coming here if he gtes his way as he will be in the other code. If our 5/8s step up definitely no point in buying Ansta. If Germ does leave we probably need to look for a hooker as i don't see many coming through our ranks.
:lol:

Who did we just sign to a four year contract? :p

Timbo

Staff member
Mason? Please no.

Anasta....Why the hell not? He can play lock or 5/8 and has excellent on field vision. I wouldn't say no.

Although I reckon Souths will get him.

Yes to Mason.

No to Anasta. He may have a big boot on him and bring the Raiders much needed 40-20s but he wouldnt go any better than J.Smith. I think we should be targeting J.Cayless and P.Robinson for 2006.

Brimmer

Juniors
Honestly, I can see why we do lose some of our young talent when we are looking at getting a what? 24-25 YO to join the ranks to fill a spot that we have a glut of junior talent in. Campese, Carney (although he's locked in), Zillman.... I could see why they might choose to shop elsewhere.

Timbo

Staff member
I think Mason would carry too much off field baggage with him. To be blunt I dont want to cheer for someone with his history.

Yes to Anasta or SBW, but no to Mason.

Boing Boing

Juniors
People always talk about Woolford leaving on this forum. Enough that sometimes it becomes fact, for some unknown reason. The man lives and breathes Raiders. What reason does he have to leave? Is there anyone in the game with more passion than him? I don't think so.

Timbo

Staff member
Lives and breathes Raiders? He was an inch from going to Parra a few years back...

legend

Coach
I think he is quoted as saying he wants to play out his career in the U.K to set himself up financially.

Latest posts