What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington NZ Rugby League Grand Final - On Now

playdaball

Bench
WELLINGTON RL must look back at the old days of Randwick, Wainuiomata,Upper Hutt and Petone .... a golden era. What’s gone wrong since?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Would be interesting to know how many young players are drained from Wellington to the Warriors and Australia chasing the opportunities for an NRL club.

Back in the day players would stay and play seniors and be selected for the Kiwis from the Wellington club comp.

Coastbloke

Bench
Would be interesting to know how many young players are drained from Wellington to the Warriors and Australia chasing the opportunities for an NRL club.

Back in the day players would stay and play seniors and be selected for the Kiwis from the Wellington club comp.

Which is why NZ need a professional comp perhaps 6-8 teams at least at ESL level. Would also be a great comp to blood up and coming PI players..

Goes with out saying re France.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Matua

Bench
I think this is what is happening in Auckland, and over time teams will enter from other areas similar to how the NRL evolved from the old Sydney comp.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...rugby-league-believes-new-comp-a-game-changer
It would be great if they could get this off the ground and not collapse, but as the article notes the previous iterations all came and went.

I used to follow the HB Unicorns in the Lion Red Cup, it was great back in those days.Mike Doreen played for them and there were a bunch of players who looked like they should have gone on to bigger things but it just didn't pan out.

I hope the new competition is a success, but I'm not confident, and if the standard is too low it's not going to address the loss of players to leagues below NRL in Oz.