What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welsh eligible players in the NRL?

paulmac

Juniors
I know there is a list in the resources section but its a bit out of date.But are there any NRL players eligible for Wales for this years 4 nations?With the WC so close and Wales co-hosting a pummelling like the Kumuls took last year would be disastrous.The taffys have fairly strong base already with just a couple of NRL hard heads I beleive they would be more than competitive.

Gary Warburton, David Stagg, Josh Gill (NYC) - Bulldogs
Sam Williams (NYC) - Raiders
Ben Jones, Michael Morgan (NYC) - Cowboys
Ryan James - Titans
Karl Davies (NYC) - Storm
Ryan Morgan, Toby Key (NYC) - Eels
Ben Pomeroy, John Williams - Sharks
Matt Evans (NYC) - Wests Tigers
Derrick Watkins - Redcliffe Dolphins (QLD Cup)
Luke Dyer - Central Comets (QLD Cup)

deluded pom?

Coach
I just hope the ARL don't tell these guys it's OK to represent Wales at this year's 4N and the WC because it won't jeopardise their chances of one day playing Origin or for Australia.

JasonE

Bench
I believe Gareth Carvell and Keith Mason are keen to turn out for Wales, they should have a solid forward pack.

Mason switched to England as well. Though he may have never made the side, but I think he played for England A. Harris has to decide if he wants blokes like that, blokes like Mark Bryant and others who will qualify under residency or whether to stick to the players who played in the qualifiers. I can't really see any other NRL players putting their hand up.

jim_57

Staff member
David Stagg might be worth talking too, he's well out of Origin calculations IMO.

Also wouldn't be too suprised to see one or two players come from Union once the RUWC is over.

CQ Italia

Juniors
Ian Webster - Central Comets (QCup)
Chris Beasley - Central Comets - out until mid season due to "Fire Fighter training"

shiznit

Coach
Just grab all the Jones', Evans', Davies' & Williams' who can play RL... they should all trace back to Wales.

I cant think of many to be honest... maybe the wolfman... young sam williams from the raiders...

maybe even this bloke...
sonny_bill_williams-420x0.jpg

The Observer

Staff member
Gary Warburton, David Stagg, Josh Gill (NYC) - Bulldogs
Sam Williams (NYC) - Raiders
Ben Jones, Michael Morgan (NYC) - Cowboys
Ryan James - Titans
Karl Davies (NYC) - Storm
Ryan Morgan, Toby Key (NYC) - Eels
Ben Pomeroy, John Williams - Sharks
Matt Evans (NYC) - Wests Tigers
Derrick Watkins - Redcliffe Dolphins (QLD Cup)
Luke Dyer - Central Comets (QLD Cup)

I know Dyer played for Wales, and I have seen Watkins mentioned as Welsh eligible, but how did you hear about the other players? If John Williams is eligible, wouldn't his brother David also be eligible?

roughyedspud

Coach
they should go for david stagg... quality player

its for players like david stagg why the origin laws should be changed....good enough to gain the occasional state of origin jumper but falls short of being good enough to be a kangaroo....

its effectively barring dozens and dozens of players from international RL on the off chance they might get a chance at a NSW/QLD jumper once in a while...

hutch

First Grade
they should go for david stagg... quality player

its for players like david stagg why the origin laws should be changed....good enough to gain the occasional state of origin jumper but falls short of being good enough to be a kangaroo....

its effectively barring dozens and dozens of players from international RL on the off chance they might get a chance at a NSW/QLD jumper once in a while...

And hence put origin further above the international game!

roughyedspud

Coach
in a way it does....

yes we would all love internationals to happen whilethe "aussies" play origin...but as we all know the ARL would never allow it to happen...

so look at it this way...surely it would be a huge boost to the game world wide of the likes of samoa,tonga,fiji,wales,ireland,scotland etc could boast to have a couple of actual origin players amongst their ranks...

akuila uate is a superb case in point...he is without doubt a product of NSWRL up their in newcastle, he is also without doubt proud of his fijian background...if he could have played for NSW & FIJI he would 200%...he could have been a poster child for the game in fiji...but now it looks like when your good enough you just graduate to a better international side....

funny thing is i've asked a few players on twitter like robbie farah & lote turquiri that if they could play origin & for lebabnon/fiji would they?.............and they refused to answer......surely a proud australian would pick origin & Australia every time would'nt they?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
No to David Stagg.

The best news I've heard in recent times is 'change the origin rules to let Benji Marshall play origin'.

I.e, Origin is in a lower light if the best player in the world ain't in it.

Well that showcases Australia vs NZ even more doesn't it?

Market the GC test as where you'll see Benji play, and you'll see some momentum.

England can market Paul Wellens.