What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welsh want Joey

DE LIONCOURT

Juniors
Welsh want Joey

January 17, 2004

THE Australian Rugby Union may deny a desire to recruit more rugby league stars, but the code's tentacles are still reaching to secure Andrew Johns with Wales joining the chase for his services.

A formal expression of Welsh interest in Johns' services has been made to the champion Newcastle Knights rugby league halfback's management.

The approach came directly from Welsh Rugby Union chief executive and former NRL boss David Moffett this week to Johns' manager John Fordham on Thursday.

But Fordham said there was no discussion of specific details relating to a proposed deal in the out-of-the blue approach. Johns, 29, would qualify for Wales because of links going back to his grandfather who was a miner in the Rhondda Valley and emigrated to the steel city of Newcastle in Australia.

"David said: 'We would love to have him here in Wales.' He then said as former NRL chief executive he knew first-hand what value he would be to union," said Fordham.

After the telephone call Fordham emailed Johns to inform him of the development.

Fordham and Johns, currently off contract with the Newcastle Knights, are scheduled to meet with team management next week during the rugby league World Sevens to negotiate a new contract.

The Welsh offer, while preliminary, confirms Johns is still seen as a commodity by the 15-a-side game. He has given no indication, however, that he is prepared to switch codes.

This week before contacting Fordham, Moffett told the Welsh media: "It seems logical that we should explore the possibility of getting him to play for and in Wales."

THE Australian Rugby Union has formally begun its search for two assistant Wallaby coaches to work under head coach Eddie Jones.

The advertised positions have been vacated by Ewen McKenzie and Glen Ella who worked with Jones up to an including the World Cup.

McKenzie, who was the Wallabies' coaching co-ordinator, is now head coach of the NSW Waratahs. Ella, who was assistant Wallaby coach, has accepted an offer to be Italian coach John Kirwan's assistant.

Ella agreed to terms this week on a deal that will take him up to the end of the Six Nations.

He will leave for Italy, where he will be based in Treviso, on January 31.

Italy's first game is on February 15 against World Cup champions England at Stadio Flaminio in Rome.

"It's a new challenge and something different after the Wallabies. Hopefully I will be able to have some impact," said Ella.

"They are very passionate about their rugby. It will also just be great to be involved in the Six Nations tournament which is huge over there."

Ella said Italy's goal would be to "win a couple of games".

ozbash

Referee
See joey was mixing it with the Waikato Chiefs S12 team up at Newcastle thuis weekend. Was very interested in the role of first 5/8 by all accounts.

think its just a matter of when, not if.

disco1

Juniors
During the RWC last year Joey was training with the Welsh Squad and helping with advice. I think he does feel strongly about his roots, he even has a Welsh girlfriend who is just down the road from me in Porthcawl. I wouldn't want him to leave TGG but if he did I would welcome him to South Wales.