What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"We're playing St George..."

Anonymous

Juniors
On Sports Tonight, Sharks coach Stuart Raper twice referred to his opponents as "St George."
Along with Trent Barrett, Graeme Langlands, Mark Coyne, loads of current and former players, supporters and host of referees and commentators.... I just thought we should add Stu to the list.

Who else is on the list?

Anonymous

Juniors
I've heard Channel 9 and Fox commentators call us "St George", even though I know there is a directive to say 'Dragons'. They just slip up, its too hard a name to forget.

The constant use of our mascots name to identify our football club does my head in but I guess most clubs went down that root awhile ago.

What I've never understood it why commentators and club officials hardly ever refer to us as 'Saints'. Are they worried that the Stanleys might find it offensive? I don't see it…

chileman

Coach
Willow said:
I hear 'Saints' a lot. Say it myself all the time.
I'll add it to the list if you like.
That's what my dad still calls them after supporting them for nearly 50 years, poor misguided soul :p :lol:

drake

First Grade
I don't really think it's that strange that people would call us St George, for brevity's sake.
Who really has ever said Manly-Warringah, Cronulla-Sutherland, Canterbury-Bankstown?
Always just Manly, Canterbury and the Scum...I mean Wonulla, err...Cronulla.

We're aussies, the people that invented "owyagoin?" and "avagoodwn." It's no surprise or conspiricy that people want to spit the extra four syllables.

Anonymous

Juniors
Thats right drake.
Although I don't know what my old uncle was going on about in the 1960s. He was about 70 or 80 years old and he yelled out stuff like "Go you Dragon Slayers" even though the team nickname had been shortened well before.
btw, Avagoodweegend.

Latest posts