What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes to re-sign

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wes a Dragon for two more years
By PAUL SUTTOR
July 15, 2005

ROOKIE winger Wes Naiqama yesterday followed his heart and agreed to remain a Dragon until the end of 2007.

The 22-year-old utility back has agreed to terms on a two-year contract in a welcome boost for eighth-placed St George Illawarra in the countdown to Sunday's crucial clash with Manly at Brookvale Oval.

A former Arncliffe Scots junior who had been earmarked as a first grader for many years before making his debut this season, Naiqama said he was thrilled to stay in the red and white.

"I've pretty much agreed to a two-year contract, I've just got to sign it some time in the next week," he said.

"I'm happy, really stoked to stay with the club, it's what I wanted. I told my manager from the start that I didn't want to go anywhere else."

Naiqama admitted his own form had been a touch down over the past few weeks but said contract negotiations had not played a part in his on-field performances.

"I've been happy with my form this year, but probably not the last two or three weeks. I don't know if it's just the week-to-week grind.

"I've just got to do what I normally do - all the little things that I've been doing before to the best of my ability."

Naiqama, who has scored five tries and booted 11 goals as a back-up kicker, has set his sights on a taste of finals football in his first NRL season.

"Hopefully we can make the finals and hopefully I can make a contribution," he said.

The Dragons hope to resolve prop Luke Bailey's one-year contract extension today, leaving Aaron Gorrell, Clint Greenshields, Michael Henderson, Shane Marteene, Bryan Norrie, Chris Sheppard, Aaron Wheatley and Nick Youngquest as their remaining free agents with first grade experience.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Correction: He hasn't actually signed. Just a done deal according to the article.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Wes Naiqama walks on water - na na na na na, na na na na…

Mark Riddell is someone's daughter - na na na na na, na na na na…

Ahhhh, memories!!

Dragons2005

Juniors
Him and Best are going well this season. i must say i was a bit worried with Colin Best after the Broncos Match but since then he hasnt looked back. as for Wes like lenny said he has alot of potential.
Lets got Weeees!!! Lets go!
Lets got Weeees!!! Lets go!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Dragons hope to resolve prop Luke Bailey's one-year contract extension today, leaving Aaron Gorrell, Clint Greenshields, Michael Henderson, Shane Marteene, Bryan Norrie, Chris Sheppard, Aaron Wheatley and Nick Youngquest as their remaining free agents with first grade experience.
Is Albert Torrens signed for another year?

SHD

Juniors
The Dragons hope to resolve prop Luke Bailey's one-year contract extension today, leaving Aaron Gorrell (expendable but useful), Clint Greenshields (Ditto.), Michael Henderson (Should look to keep), Shane Marteene (superflous), Bryan Norrie (ditto), Chris Sheppard (ditto), Aaron Wheatley (ditto) and Nick Youngquest (ditto) as their remaining free agents with first grade experience."

Sun_Down

Juniors
Ah, Wes has been very good all year. Great news for the Dragons that he is staying for another 2.

Sun_Down

Juniors
True to both of the last points, the more Fiji players going pro the better and Iagree long-term would be far more beneficial, say a 4 year deal.