What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Marlins

Juniors
Unfortunately for the Western Reds bid is the Queensland reds exist, wouldn’t sit right with Union fans over there I’d think. Also I’d like if they used a different location name, Western, Perth and West Coast are already being used, so maybe something like West OZ (add WA thing).
or even better option get rid of the west coast vfl team thing or the Q Reds.

The Great Dane

First Grade
IF it ever came to it then I suppose we would go with black and yellow with a bit of red. The nod of the current colours to the old reds colours will remain I suspect. No idea what colours we’d use if Sage wins the bid and the Western Quokkas got in!
Yellow and black is one of the most iconic sports colour schemes of all time, it's not being used in the NRL, and it's WA's state colours.

Adding red into the scheme just complicates it and takes away from the power and contrast of yellow and black.

flippikat

Bench
Yellow and black is one of the most iconic sports colour schemes of all time, it's not being used in the NRL, and it's WA's state colours.

Adding red into the scheme just complicates it and takes away from the power and contrast of yellow and black.
The Warriors wore this beauty during a game they took to Wellington a few years ago, inspired by Wellington's traditional black & yellow sports teams.

It'd be great to see something like this in the NRL, regardless of the location the team is based in.

Attachments

• 2013 Wellington players jersey #23 front (1).jpg
    2013 Wellington players jersey #23 front (1).jpg
    396 KB · Views: 3

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its interesting Puddy is so married to the Reds brand. It looks like we could have three potential bidders:
Western Reds - Puddy and consortium
WC Pirates - Cummins and NRLWA
Western Quokkas - Sage

Be interesting to get them all in a room and see if they can play nice together!
Going by what Puddy has said in the past I reckon he'd be willing to partner with pretty much anybody as long as they were reasonable and shared the goal of getting a WA team back in the NRL, so I can see his group and the Pirates merging. The only areas you might see significant conflict is the branding and the share of control over the club.

Who knows about Sage on the other hand. He doesn't seem to be in it for the right reasons anyway.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Warriors wore this beauty during a game they took to Wellington a few years ago, inspired by Wellington's traditional black & yellow sports teams.

It'd be great to see something like this in the NRL, regardless of the location the team is based in.
Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates, Boston Bruins, Borussia Dortmund, Richmond Tigers, Wasps, the list of yellow and black teams is endless and prestigious.

Colk

First Grade

BIg fan of using Black and yellow for a WA side. You would have to get rid of the Reds brand though.

I’m liking the press that WA is starting to get. Hopefully it forces Abdo and V’landys to listen as it’s quite easily the best option

MugaB

Coach
Its interesting Puddy is so married to the Reds brand. It looks like we could have three potential bidders:
Western Reds - Puddy and consortium
WC Pirates - Cummins and NRLWA
Western Quokkas - Sage

Be interesting to get them all in a room and see if they can play nice together!
Bidding war and news clickbait.... keep them all seperate ....thats what PVL would want...
Personally the Reds brand is so unique that its worthy to keep, but the whole been gone a while and revival might not sit well, the colors are amazing though...
As for the pirates, Black and Yellow with a red trim, ticks all boxes, and West Coast Pirates has the ability to gain a new outlook on expansion... only issue is it will ever be a transplanted team of mercs, basically another titans... until they get more of a junior presence playing competitively

ReddFelon

Juniors
If the WA team goes with gold and black then I'd be on board with West Coast Pirates and just combining the white pirate skull with gold and black.

Hartwood

Juniors
If the reds/pirates are able to somewhat emulate the way that the swans have been able to gain popularity and juniors through a strong school competition as puddy is suggesting then that would be excellent. Could have a free 3 game membership for kids like the swans do as well. Maybe have a six game membership for registered juniors

Colk

First Grade
If the WA team goes with gold and black then I'd be on board with West Coast Pirates and just combining the white pirate skull with gold and black.
I have never really liked the Pirates moniker particularly compared to the Reds as I think that the Reds has a good synergy with West Australia.
A logo is only a logo though

ReddFelon

Juniors
Funnily enough the WA bid would actually do well to link up with the Force. While the East Coast has the whole League vs Union hatred, from 1990 to 2018 when I lived in Perth there's not that huge issue. Clubs like the Rockingham Sharks share a ground with the Rockingham RUFC. Given both teams would make use of HBF Park, I know quite a number of people who would support both teams. It'd be the rectangle codes vs the AFL.

jim_57

Staff member
I prefer the Reds brand but Pirates is a good neutral one. Queensland Reds existed at the same time last time too from memory so I’d just use it if possible. Alternatively Perth/WA/Western/West Coast Red Kangaroos could still work, a bit long winded but that could make it stand out too.

Plenty of teams already with 3-4 word names.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
IF it ever came to it then I suppose we would go with black and yellow with a bit of red. The nod of the current colours to the old reds colours will remain I suspect. No idea what colours we’d use if Sage wins the bid and the Western Quokkas got in!

The right shade of Brown & white would look great!

Colk

First Grade
I prefer the Reds brand but Pirates is a good neutral one. Queensland Reds existed at the same time last time too from memory so I’d just use it if possible. Alternatively Perth/WA/Western/West Coast Red Kangaroos could still work, a bit long winded but that could make it stand out too.

Plenty of teams already with 3-4 word names.
They could call themselves the WC/Western/Perth Roos like the Wyong Roos of the Newcastle and NSW Cup fame. They also wear black and yellow

Perth Red

Post Whore
BIg fan of using Black and yellow for a WA side. You would have to get rid of the Reds brand though.

I’m liking the press that WA is starting to get. Hopefully it forces Abdo and V’landys to listen as it’s quite easily the best option
8D4AF922-8B81-4F48-BB83-DC6112AA4F30.jpeg

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Coast Pirates has the ability to gain a new outlook on expansion... only issue is it will ever be a transplanted team of mercs, basically another titans... until they get more of a junior presence playing competitively
if we were kicking off soon we could have five or six WA born or raised nrl first teamers in the squad in theory from day one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A simpler version of logo I mocked up for supporters flags

Attachments

• 73CB9CC3-0776-4D93-990C-1E790475142B.jpeg
    73CB9CC3-0776-4D93-990C-1E790475142B.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts