What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

docbrown

Coach
Cant use "swans"... sydney have that in AFL, not sure if people noticed but for the last idk 20 years there have been lawsuits on sporting mascots at a constant, which means everytime someone has a great club name/logo/mascot it gets challenged by the NFL version of it, or other codes etc
The classic was one regarding the titans getting both miami dolphins and redcliffe upset that they were looking to go with gold coast dolphins, before titans ended up being it..
So i don't think swans will cut it, but i do like it
Of course you can. Companies threaten lawsuits all the time and 99% of the time nothing eventuates. In regards to the NFL specifically, we literally have the Brisbane Broncos which was taken from the Denver Broncos. The Cowboys still ’borrow’ the Dallas Lone star. Dolphins got in and Miami did nothing. I mean you’re talking about American franchises suing when there’s two pirate themed major clubs in the US. By that logic the West Coast Pirates are out too. But then ask yourself, how did two pirates themed teams arise in the USA? It shows that it’s actually hard to stop than you think.

Of course the Sydney Swans will have a cry. But then they have to present a legal argument that basically suggests that 1) people will confuse Perth and Sydney 2) people will confuse yellow and black with red and white 3) people will confuse a black swan with a white swan 4) people will confuse rugby league with fumbleball 5) that a team imported to Sydney in 1982 has more right to use a Swan than a state that has used the Black Swan as a symbol since the 1830s. It would get thrown out of court.

Even Wests Tigers couldn’t stop the GWS Ants from stealing their colours in their own city.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Cant use "swans"... sydney have that in AFL, not sure if people noticed but for the last idk 20 years there have been lawsuits on sporting mascots at a constant, which means everytime someone has a great club name/logo/mascot it gets challenged by the NFL version of it, or other codes etc
The classic was one regarding the titans getting both miami dolphins and redcliffe upset that they were looking to go with gold coast dolphins, before titans ended up being it..
So i don't think swans will cut it, but i do like it
Yeah, I remember the Titans debacle. They actually had cleared the use of the Dolphins name with Miami but forgot to check their own backyard. Redcliffe basically blocked them from using the name Dolphins because of their own ambitions to join the NRL (which obviously became reality).

"Emblem and colours[edit]​

Although they were accepted into the National Rugby League, they were without a name after dropping "Dolphins" in order to avoid legal action from the Redcliffe Dolphins. The consortium aligned themselves with Gold Coast Radio Station 90.9 Sea FM, and set up a competition in which listeners could submit possible names for the new team. This was shortlisted into ten names, which through online voting was shortened to three: Titans, Stingers and Pirates. Online voting continued, with team being branded as the Gold Coast Titans on 21 September 2005. After the team name was chosen, fans were given six jerseys to vote for on the club's website, with option 6 ultimately being successful."

Not sure how they would have gone with Stingers because the GC Gridiron team is the Stingrays....

Bukowski

Juniors
As a potential fan I really like both the pirates and reds. The only other option seems to the bears but I see that as a broke Sydney team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As a potential fan I really like both the pirates and reds. The only other option seems to the bears but I see that as a broke Sydney team.
Most in perth will be happy with reds or pirates based on social media. There’s going to be a number of ‘bring back the reds’ banners at optus in august!

Nuke

Staff member
In all honesty, if it wasn't my Newcastle Knights playing in the double-header this year, I'd be going in my WC Pirates 'Western Reds heritage' jersey and joining in on the action. I'll still join in, but in a shit-tonne of red and blue gear!

Pippen94

First Grade
It’s pretty sad that you think a blow to rl in a growth market is funny. You sound more of an afl troll every time you post.

NRL gets everything it needs from Perth through origin & double header. Unless twiggy wants to fund team it'll just be a black hole

xe_kilroy

Juniors
If they dont have to pay for opposition teams' travel costs, which is what caused the Reds to be in $10m debt, then a Perth RL club would be as workable as the Melbourne Storm....given they have no real junior structure etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane 3 will grow TV rights, ratings, sponsorship, juniors. Perth will grow money NRL needs to sink into new club
Your desire to see the game remaining confined to it’s traditional heartlands is somewhat perturbing and we can only question your motivations for thinking this way.