What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
I heard some real positive feedback from someone in the know today about Perth's bid team & discussions have commenced with both the NRL and TV networks.
Good to hear, I figured the state govt wouldn’t just be chucking a $1/2mill on a wing and a prayer.

flippikat

Bench
Afl got paid for 9th game. Location was irrelevant. Stupidly. Afl has sunk that money into pits in GC & gws. A survey showed less than 1% of surrounding district are engaged with gws as fans or participants. This is not approach NRL should follow.
You miss one HUGE difference between a Perth NRL team & GC and GWS in AFL.

For that AFL expansion phase, they chose to manufacture a derby in the Sydney & SE-Qld markets.. whereas a Perth team being added to the NRL doesn't risk splitting an existing Perth team's base (or not splitting, if the new team totally flops).

The guts of the matter is that the NRL just needs ONE team there right now, and you can't compare blazing the trail with doubling-down on an alien market.

Totally different propositions.

Pneuma

First Grade
No mention of Brand, it is the bid team involving the state government and NRLWA. Details are confidential so I wasn't given much other than the dialogue has been happening and more importantly the TV networks prefer the Sunday night slot that Perth offers.
Shit man. I’m genuinely excited about this. That Sunday night time slot is gold Jerry gold!.

ash the bash

Juniors
No mention of Brand, it is the bid team involving the state government and NRLWA. Details are confidential so I wasn't given much other than the dialogue has been happening and more importantly the TV networks prefer the Sunday night slot that Perth offers.
Encouraging to hear.

Smart working with networks, half the battle will be getting FOX/News onboard. I can see value for Sat & Sunday for FOX with live late games. A potential Super Sunday (3 games b2b) and 4 game super Saturday. Having FOX/News onboard would play a big part in swaying the NRL.

Bukowski

Juniors
Encouraging to hear.

Smart working with networks, half the battle will be getting FOX/News onboard. I can see value for Sat & Sunday for FOX with live late games. A potential Super Sunday (3 games b2b) and 4 game super Saturday. Having FOX/News onboard would play a big part in swaying the NRL.
I love when we get three on a Sunday. I'm a good chance of catching all three which I find difficult on Saturdays.

westerntiger

Juniors
The giants is the one of the worst expansions in the history of world sport. Put a team somewhere just because there’s a lot of people living there. Beyond ridiculous. Next thing the AFL will play games in China…

Pneuma

First Grade
Encouraging to hear.

I love when we get three on a Sunday. I'm a good chance of catching all three which I find difficult on Saturdays.
Sundays better coz by then the missus has had enough of me and happy for me to go away and watch footy to give her a break

Perth Red

Post Whore
Encouraging to hear.

Hopefully what they think will be irrelevant when the they are outbid for the rights by Paramount/Ch10 next time! You can but hope!

Perth Red

Post Whore
About 8 people in Australia watch 10.
Not when they get NRL they wont! Its literally the best way of Ch10 and Paramount getting ratings up instantly and relevance in Australia again. From that they can rebuild their programming. If Ch10 put 4 games on FTA (inc Saturday night) they are back with the big boys. Other 5 games on Paramount with the 6th to come and a $600mill bid. That'd be a great outcome for NRL!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m not calling for a PNG team but you can’t deny they’re league mad. Hardly anyone in western Sydney would know anything at all about tanktopball
True, merely referencing the 'youre mad to put a sports club somewhere because there is a large population'. There is a lot more to it than that. And yes interest in the sport usually helps! As does commercial viability and disposable income of said population.