What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Indies tour of New Zealand 2020/21 (3 T20's, 2 Tests)

Meth

Staff member
Here we are. Hard to believe cricket is resuming in this part of the world, but it is.

In a year that has been marred by COVID, it's probably fitting that our resumption begins with the COVID of cricket. T20. We're scheduled for 3 of the bastards- 1 in Auckland and then 2 down the road in Mt Maunganui.

NZ has rested Kane Williamson and selected Devon Conway.

Squad for first and second T20 games-

Tim Southee (c)
Hamish Bennett
Devon Conway
Lockie Ferguson
Martin Guptill
Kyle Jamieson
Daryl Mitchell
James Neesham
Glenn Phillips †
Mitchell Santner
Tim Seifert †
Ish Sodhi
Ross Taylor

Of considerably more excitement are the two Tests, scheduled for early December, in Hamilton and Wellington respectively.

Squad

Kane Williamson (c)
Tom Blundell †
Trent Boult
Colin de Grandhomme
Kyle Jamieson
Tom Latham †
Henry Nicholls
Ajaz Patel
Tim Southee
Ross Taylor
Neil Wagner
BJ Watling †
Will Young

WI T20 squad- https://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/squad/1236223.html
WI Test squad- https://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/squad/1236224.html

JJ

Immortal
Excited for tests

Disappointed Conway's not in the test squad tbh, and Jimmy Nessham... but like that Young has been named...

With Conway around, some pressure on Nicholls to perform I'd imagne, and whether they continue with Dutchie at 7 and BJ at 6 will be interesting - having the extra bowler is good but I'd like Conway in my top 6

Should be a move towards Latham, Young, Williamson, Taylor, Conway, Nicholls/CDG/maybe Neesh, BJ... and lwhen Luteru says he's done, maybe Kane moving to 4 and Conway to 3? Hard to see Blundell sustainable as a test opener, but it's his for a while

Meth

Staff member
Excited for tests

Disappointed Conway's not in the test squad tbh, and Jimmy Nessham... but like that Young has been named...

With Conway around, some pressure on Nicholls to perform I'd imagne, and whether they continue with Dutchie at 7 and BJ at 6 will be interesting - having the extra bowler is good but I'd like Conway in my top 6

Should be a move towards Latham, Young, Williamson, Taylor, Conway, Nicholls/CDG/maybe Neesh, BJ... and lwhen Luteru says he's done, maybe Kane moving to 4 and Conway to 3? Hard to see Blundell sustainable as a test opener, but it's his for a while

yeah I am keen to see Conway and Young in the side with an eye to the future. Incidentally, both Conway and Young are putting big scores on in First Class

Meth

Staff member
A bit of a form watch from the Plunket Shield-

Henry Nicholls put together a nice 87 v Otago
Conway 157 with the bat v Auckland. Jamieson 5-85 and a half century with the bat.
Waitling 77 and 62*
Southee and Sodhi both batting and bowling well.
Young put on an unbeaten 110 batting at 3 (in on over 4)

JJ

Immortal
Really looking forward to seeing how big Kyle goes, if Colin isn’t ready he could get that spot or he could keep Southee or Wagner out... I think he’s the real deal, which adds a real point of difference with 4 quality pace bowlers

JJ

Immortal
Henry got 70 odd against the Windies today... Young failed with 20 odd, young Ravindra got 100. Conway 25*

Meth

Staff member
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-indians-tour-match-west-indies-in-nz-2020-21

NZ A draw with the Windies.

NZ A posted 308/3d in the 1st innings. Ravindra scored 112, Nicholls 76 and Conway 46* batting at 4. West Indies replied with 366, led by Darren Bravo's 135. Duffy was the pick of the bowlers with 3-49, but there isn't really any fringe Test bowlers in the NZ A side. Young and Conway (again) were unbeaten at the close of play (64* and 41*)

Meth

Staff member
ok, so what does out top 6 look like for these Tests.

From the 2nd Test v India-

Latham
Blundell
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Waitling

Is Nicholl's spot the most up for grabs? I feel like that's where we left off.

JJ

Immortal
ok, so what does out top 6 look like for these Tests.

From the 2nd Test v India-

Latham
Blundell
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Waitling

Is Nicholl's spot the most up for grabs? I feel like that's where we left off.
Henry's test form had dipped, so he's vulnerable..

Latham, Williams, and Taylor are obviously locks until Taylor says he's had enough. I'd like to see

Latham
Young
Williamson
Taylor
Conway
Nicholls/CDG (at 7)
Watling with Blundell pushing him

Blundell IMO isn't going to be a test opener, but isn't far behind BJ who isn't vulnerable yet, but I'm not sure he's quite as good as he was

Meth

Staff member
Yeah I would love Conway at 5. Weird that he isn’t in the squad. I could get excited about Young and Conway with the 3 you mentioned

JJ

Immortal
Seems we're the only two interested, lol... can't wait for a test...

Meth

Staff member
Remember how Patel was barely used v India (our last series). 6 overs in 1 Test and then dropped.

CDG is a loss. Mitchell was ok v England, but he's really a batting allrounder. CDG (I think) is a bowling allrounder. In any event, as much as I'm over Santner in the Test side generally, he probably offers some variation and he goes better in NZ than he seems to elsewhere. So I'd have him for game 1 and then Patel for game 2.

1st Test, based on the squad, I think I'd go-

Latham
Blundell
Williamson
Taylor
Young
Waitling
Santner
Jamieson
Southee
Wagner
Boult

JJ

Immortal
I just don’t see a scenario where Santner is useful enough with the ball to play a test

No spinner for me

Meth

Staff member
I just don’t see a scenario where Santner is useful enough with the ball to play a test

No spinner for me

Fair enough. tbh, I am off two minds and would be happy enough with Mitchell. I really see Santner with the ball as I guy that occupy an end and give the other bowlers a break (which I suppose Mitchell and maybe even Williamson can do as well)

Nice double century from Braithwaite

JJ

Immortal
Fair enough. tbh, I am off two minds and would be happy enough with Mitchell. I really see Santner with the ball as I guy that occupy an end and give the other bowlers a break (which I suppose Mitchell and maybe even Williamson can do as well)

Nice double century from Braithwaite
Guess I think Mitchell can do that, and essentially Wagner will bowl all day anyway... and Neesham will bleed runs, but also get people out...

With Wags I'm not sure there is a desperate need for a 5th bowler, Santner is only useful if it's really flat - which as you say is the only time Patel gets a bowl at home anyway