What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Loose Cannon

Bench
Why is it that the Western Corridor bid have not adopted an actual identity? There is nothing identity wise to get behind. A bid should be trying to build its brand already.

It has settled strongly on a grassroots element but at present feels too closely identified with Ipswich Jets (which alienates anyone outside of Ipswich)

Agreed.

It's been three or four years since they announced their intentions. Circulating material with the title "Western Corridor NRL Bid" is hardly as inspiring as a defined brand with marketing in mind. They informally announced the name of the team (although no mascot branding), but haven't used it since in any of their promotions, limited as they seem to be.

West corridor doesn't work well

West Brisbane or SW Queensland?

West Brisbane Braves and use the Apache helicopter as a logo?

or West Brisbane Browns (with Brown snake as logo)?

As above, they informally announced a team name in the media years back. I went searching for it in this thread, which is where I was first notified, but couldn't be bothered looking any longer.

They won't be West or Western anything. The name "JAGERA" was identified, relating to the Aboriginal tribe that inhabited the region. I think it's a great idea, although I don't think they should overdo the Indiginous links heavily in their marketing. It creates a unique branding apart from the names BRISBANE or QUEENSLAND, and is wholly representative of the area the bid encompasses. I also have seen a headline, where the elders of said tribe were apparently cautious of the branding, but couldn't get access to the article.

Check out GAZF's page for his proposed team for the area. Love the colours and strips he has created, although the bid team have apparently rejected (at least years back) the use of the "Jets" moniker as too Ipswich-centric.

On the subject, I have only seen the name JAGERA in print, and have no knowledge of the people it pertains. It is a difficult task, but can anyone provide an accurate pronunciation for the word. My guess would be Jah-Gear-Ah, but I am not familiar.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
How about west brisbane united rlfc? Forget about animals or machines as monikers thats just stuck in the 80's and 90's

alien

Referee
The second Brisbane team could be called "River City Rhinos".

rhinos2.gif

Last edited:

paulmac

Juniors
I like Ipswich Jets aswell.Please nothing gimmicky like Jagera.I also don't mind South-West Stockmen.

ash the bash

Juniors
I have family that live in Brisbane and honestly calling it Ipswich would alienate a lot of people. Does not have the best rep the old switch as they call it. I think they need to aim for a broader name than Ipswich, for example if you were to start from scratch hypothetically and have a West Sydney team you won't call it Penrith. It might not appeal to people in Parra, Blacktown etc.. Also being based in Suncorp you would want the team to attract as many punters from Brisbane and areas like Logan, Springfield etc I just personally feel calling it Ipswich will not attract these people as much.

Last edited:

DlEHARD

Juniors
Cant be called Logan or Ipswich or itd destroy the fanbase and corporate support.

Call them South Queensland if needs be.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.qt.com.au/news/mayors-focus-on-league-team/2599518/

NRL bid is a primary focus for Pisasale in 2015
Joel Gould | 8th Apr 2015 5:00 AM

ENSURING the Western Corridor NRL bid is given the green light will be a primary focus of Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale in the next 12 months.

The NRL is expected to make a decision on expansion at the end of the 2015 season with the view to aligning a move to an 18 team-competition with the next broadcast deal in 2018.

With key broadcaster Channel Nine pushing for an extra side to play out of Suncorp Stadium, the Western Corridor bid is in prime position to make a compelling case.

Rugby League Week magazine recently compared all seven current NRL bid teams and came to the conclusion that the Western Corridor and Perth bids were the two that should be given the green light.

Cr Pisasale, the Western Corridor bid patron, said he had this message for NRL CEO David Smith:

"The Ipswich, Logan and Toowoomba corridor is the strongest area for rugby league talent in the country," he said.

"Yamanto is the strongest membership base for the Brisbane Broncos.

"You need to go where the rugby league fish are biting, and they are biting in Ipswich.

"We have the best bid in the country. We have a bid that will utilise Suncorp Stadium on alternate weeks.

"We have a bid that will strengthen and not dilute the game."

With the Brisbane Lions deciding not to move their training and administration base to Ipswich City Council-owned land at Springfield, council's optimum choice would be to locate the Western Corridor NRL bid team there.

The bid must first be granted a licence for that to occur.

Council is set to work with state and federal government and the Western Corridor NRL bid to base an elite team in the city.

Ipswich City Council's sports boss David Morrison said there was an opportunity to re-badge their funding applications for an NRL side that were already before government.

Council had applied for $10 million through the Queensland Government's Royalties to Regions Program and $10 million from the Australian Government's National Stronger Regions Fund.

The parcel of land at Springfield is big enough to cater to the major sporting franchises

Cr Morrison said A-League and Super Rugby also could be located there.

"The main parcel of land had the capacity to have a stadium and AFL size field the size of the MCG," he said.

"With all the fields we design in the city we use the AFL size field as the measure because they use the biggest fields of any sporting code in Australia."

Perth Red

Post Whore

I'm not sure this is a good thing to raise, could suggest that it would dilute the Broncos support to have a club in the region?

gyallop

Juniors

I'm not sure this is a good thing to raise, could suggest that it would dilute the Broncos support to have a club in the region?

Not at all they will go to both a lot of Ipswich people still go to the Titans, they just love their footy.

Who cares if Broncos support is diluted? Would Be be fantastic for people to jump ship from the Broncos to prop up a new team. The Broncos will manage just fine

beave

Coach
Living in Springfield currently, I would get season tickets if they got a new team in Brissy just to spite all the dickhead broncos fans in this joint. Will always be a cowboy but I would try and support anything that is a direct rugby league competitor to the Broncos. I even got a name picked out for them......

fc,220x200,white_red.jpg

Last edited: