What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers make 4 key signings

azsportza

Live Update Team
Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the re-signing of three of the game’s brightest young prospects and the return of a favourite son.

The Club has secured the services for the next four years of talented 18-year-old halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses from 2014 and NSW Cup hooker Joel Luani on a two-year deal. Wests Tigers welcome ‘home’ experienced utility Dene Halatau for the next two years.

gronkathon

First Grade
Halatau is actually a vital cog in terms of rebuilding culture.

I was happy to see him go when he left but his time away from Sheens has seen him grow as a player and his directness and ability to provide an extra DH runner can prove invaluable. His experience is also an asset.

Luani is a great signing as he will take that Halatau role after Denes contract is finished.

Should also see the end of Masada which is also a highlight

tiger102

Juniors
Halatau why ??? If the club want someone with experience,why not scott bolton, joe picker,tom symonds or tim browne exerienced and they all add some punch to the forwards.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Halatau is a decent signing. I imagine they will have front loaded his salary in 2014 so that our 2015 war chest remains full.

Brooks and Moses are the key signings here. We are really putting all our eggs in one basket with these guys but I really hope to see them playing 6,7 for NSW cup all year in 2014 (coming in to cover NRL injuries if needed) and then hopefully we can spend the war chest on a huge pack for 2015 and bring Brooks and Moses in as permanent combo

Tiger05

First Grade
Its good news. I'm not sold on Halatau but if he retains his great dummy half runs he can take some pressure of Robbie.

4 years for Moses and Brooks is pretty huge. I really hope they step up and prove to be as good as they are being talked about.

return of a favourite son
I initially thought the favourite son may have been Beau Ryan, Bronson Harrison, or Heighno.

Then thought, too many young outside backs now so no need for Ryan youngsters in Sue and Sironen would offer more in the lock position so we don't need Heighno.

But Halatau !! Then I looked at the player stats for the year and he has played 18 games, OK they were from the bench for the majority. Even played centre on Friday night when Barba went off - whilst Hasler/Dogs may not need him going forward, Hasler certainly has used him this year and he has played well for them in the games that I have seen.

We have to remember here that this is a buy under the watch of the Mayer/Potter show and that makes it OK for me. Good backup player and no doubt will see more NSW Cup time.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said on Twitter earlier this morning that I saw Halatau as a depth signing, and a capable enough replacement for Farah if required (Better than Fulton or Iosefa in my view)

moller

Juniors
I hope that the signing of Halatau means Anasta is gone.

I'd rather Anasta than Halatau tbh - at least he's a viable option in the halves (an area in which we're going to have kids playing in 2014).
Strange one, and the club already bigging up his intangibles doesn't exactly bode well.

Great news on Brooks/Moses. Fingers crossed their development continues without any major setbacks.

Good news re: Luani too, especially as it means Iosefa is gone.

Packy

Bench
You will not find a Dogs fan that is glad to see Dene go. He's been great for us for as long as he has been with us. Just make sure he is played in the backrow. He can help at dummy and fill in at centre but I think his versatility dents his reputation as a good back rower.

He runs direct even when the rest of your team isn't. He tackles well even on bigger guys. He's just a good player.

He won't let you down imo. Don't let the Sheens years tarnish his worth to you over the next couple.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I am happy with all the signings, so long as Dene is on a reasonable salary to reflect his role as a back up DH and fringe back rower

Tiger05

First Grade
You will not find a Dogs fan that is glad to see Dene go. He's been great for us for as long as he has been with us. Just make sure he is played in the backrow. He can help at dummy and fill in at centre but I think his versatility dents his reputation as a good back rower.

He runs direct even when the rest of your team isn't. He tackles well even on bigger guys. He's just a good player.

He won't let you down imo. Don't let the Sheens years tarnish his worth to you over the next couple.

He was a good player for us as well and this is good to hear.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He did have a tendancy to bang out the occasional game where everything he touched turned to shit.

I won't forget 2004 vs Cowboys at Campbelltown. He had hands like soup that day.

Halatau? who will be our next signing? Whatuira? Elford? Prince? Laffranchi? I get that the guy was a big part of our 2005 triumph but there are better players out there. I can't see him being any more than a depth player, we have several backrowers who are better.

gronkathon

First Grade
He will be worth signing if for no other reasons then depth, experience and the ability to teach BMM about consistent and effective running lines

super_coach

First Grade
Deano, has been great for the dogs off the bench, the only trouble,will our forwards set the platform for the bench players to build on??I see him as a good buy,play direct and tackles well.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Will be great to have him back at dummy half. Pinging passes at players' heads and shoulders and knocking on 4 times a game

Latest posts