What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers take over bid

wazdog

Juniors
I have nothing against the club but it appears over the years they haven't been able to get rid of the factions within the club.

An option could be a demerger and relocation where:

Easts Tigers join with Balmain and take the on the original logo and club colours and share home games between Suncorp and Leichardt

Western Suburbs to join the Perth expansion bid and be named the Western Magpies taking on the original logo and club colours sharing games between HBF Park and Campbelltown.

Both clubs could then maintain a large part of their original identity.

The model has worked for the Sydney Swans who still have a heap of support from South Melbourne.

Tiger5150

Bench
I have nothing against the club but it appears over the years they haven't been able to get rid of the factions within the club.

An option could be a demerger and relocation where:

Easts Tigers join with Balmain and take the on the original logo and club colours and share home games between Suncorp and Leichardt

Western Suburbs to join the Perth expansion bid and be named the Western Magpies taking on the original logo and club colours sharing games between HBF Park and Campbelltown.

Both clubs could then maintain a large part of their original identity.

The model has worked for the Sydney Swans who still have a heap of support from South Melbourne.

The factions exist in the media and the minds of opposition fans. Wests Ashfield control the board, Balmain has ( I think) 2 board seats and there are more independent board seats than Balmain seats. I genuinely dont see any evidence of factional problems within the club.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Home Jersey
3e681907e2034cd243abcfac20e300ab

Special one off commemorative Jersey for Tommy

E0wCmeSWQAAgO6W

I know its subtle, but can you spot the difference?
Do magpies have orange on them?

Mr Spock!

Referee
I still think it would be a good decision for the following though which would enable new teams to be admitted.

• Souffs/Sharks and Dragons to merge and be renamed Southern Sydney Illawarra.
  • Wests Tigers and Canterbury merge - Macarthur South Western Sydney
  • Parramatta and Penrith merge - Western Sydney
  • Roosters same - Eastern Sydney
  • Manly - Northern Sydney

5 Sydney Teams as above
Canberra
Newcastle
Storm
Brisbane x 2
Gold Coast
North Queensland
New Zealand

that will be 13 teams - with opportunities for 3 new teams for 16 teams comp then expansion possibilities for 17th and 18th team

PNG
Perth
Second NZ Team
Central Coast
Another QLD bid team
Combined Pacific Islands ( Fiji/Samoa/Tonga)
Yeah nah.

See just because you sold your club's history down the drain doesn't mean others will.

Where'd the Bears supporters end up?

wazdog

Juniors
The factions exist in the media and the minds of opposition fans. Wests Ashfield control the board, Balmain has ( I think) 2 board seats and there are more independent board seats than Balmain seats. I genuinely dont see any evidence of factional problems within the club.

5 Wests Magpies, 2 Balmain Tigers and 1 Independent so stacked on the Wests Ashfield Leagues side.

And most changed bank when they realised they were losing their identity and there was no flood of sponsors for the 4th generic version of Sydney.

Biggest brands in Sydney now are us, Dragons, Eels. All clubs that still make note of their georgraphic heritage. The only club that stayed "Sydney" was the Roosters and despite all their premierships they still can't grow to a A grade fanbase.

And still, as bad as having a thousand "Sydneys" what is an even more amateurish brand is "Wests" nobody who is not intimately aware of rugby league knows where the hell Wests Tigers come from.

NFL, EPL, even the AFL, big clubs all over do not need to throw away their place name to grow.The biggest AFL clubs still have their suburban names, the only one that took your route is the Western Bulldogs and they are Melbourne's most irrelevant team.

From Collingwood to Richmond in the AFL, South Sydney to St George in the NRL, Chelsea to Manchester United in the EPL, clubs build brands around their heartland. They don't throw it away to become more generic. It would be like Nike and Adidas changing their name to "shoes".
Sydney RL clubs aren't world famous like English soccer clubs or Nike ans Adidas. The lost popular soccer club in the world would be Manchester Utd, which is named after a city.

Manly is a suburb of the Northern Beaches Council, population of 15k. Older folk resonate with the name, but kids growing up today and tomorrow's generation won't give a stuff about it. North Sydney has a massive business district, so it would make sense to tap into it by rebranding as the North Sydney Sea Eagles.

Cronulla is a suburb of Sutherland Shire. At least call the club Sutherland Sharks so it can represent 220k people, as opposed to the 18k from Cronulla. Aliteration is good for branding.

Latest posts