What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers Under-20s squad for 2009

Pumba

First Grade
U20S SQUAD ATTRACTS LARGE NUMBERS

More than 40 talented young players are apart of the Wests Tigers pre-season training squad for the 2009 Toyota Cup U20s competition.

The squad is into their third week of training under new coach Grant Jones and assistant coach, Michael Howell.

Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell said the club was confident of a successful Toyota Cup campaign in 2009.

“The club is running with a very big squad at present, considering we had to use 38 players in 2008,’’ McDonnell said.

“We want to give all the kids a grounding leading up to Christmas. We will then send some back to their local junior league.

“Our coaching staff have been impressed with the ability in the squad and the attitude towards training has been great.

“Most of the recruitment and retention for Wests Tigers has been concentrated on the Toyota Cup team for next season as we lost 17 players from our squad this year because of their age.’’

Returning from the U20s squad of 2008 are (age in 2009 listed and where they come from):

Matt Hyland, 19, lock (Balmain SG Ball);
Aaron Woods, 18, prop (Balmain SG Ball);
Junior Roqica 18, full-back/centre (Balmain SG Ball)
Todd Bridge, 20, utility;
Simon Dwyer, 20, second-row
Chad Grant, 20, front row
Robert Lui, 19, five-eighth
Sioeli Makaui, 20, hooker
Darren Nicholls, 20, half/five-eighth
Leo Vaiga, 20, front row

Wests Tigers have also signed a number of promising juniors from Balmain and Western Suburbs (age in 2009 listed)

Jake Mullaney, 19, full-back, half/five-eighth (Wests SG Ball);
Pele Leulaui, 20, winger (Campbelltown Eagles Jim Beam)
Lance Siataga , 18, centre (Wests SG Ball)
Limoni Kamuta, 18, five-eighth, centre, full-back (Wests SG Ball);
Sama Sauvao, 19, centre (Balmain SG Ball)
Joel Wisbey, 18, back-row (Wests SG Ball)
James Leulaui, 19, back-row (Wests SG Ball)
Matt Groat, 17, front row (Wests Harold Matthews);
Brett Peacock, 19, winger (Balmain SG Ball)
Chris Corby, 20, utility (Wests)

New players signed by Wests Tigers from outside Balmain and Western Suburbs areas are (age in 2009 listed):

Bodie Clarke, 19, centre, full-back (Keebra Park)
Joel Jackson, 19, centre (Glenn Innes);
Dan Randall, 20, centre/back-row (Roosters)
Brendan Adams, 18, back-row, front-row (Caloundra)
Vaha Pulu, 19, back-row (Keebra)
Neil Begovich, 18, front-row (Illawarra)
Neccrom Areaiiti, 19, front-row (Keebra)
Sam Stanford, 19, hooker (NSW CCC)
Jay Florimo, 19, half-back, Wyong
Jake Clarke, 19, five-eighth, centre, Batemans Bay
Liam Roach, 20, front row (Bulldogs)
Monikura Tikinau, 19, (Auckland NZ competition).
Ellery Wilson, 19, hooker, (Wellington NZ)
Andrew Fifita, 20, front row (Griffith)
David Fifita, 20, second-row/centre (Griffith)
Jason Schirnack, 20, back-row (Newcastle U20s)
Jordan Walker, 19, full-back/centre (Junee)
Ricardo Parata, 19, utility (Keebra)

Wests Tigers also have six players training with the squad to Christmas.
They are:

Beau Ryan, 20, full-back (Souths Newcastle)
Dan O’Neill, 20, centre/full-back (Dubbo)
Rhys Curran, 20, back-row (Erina)
James Tutuila, 19, back-row (Brisbane Easts)
Brent Munro, 20, front-row (Erina)
Adam Deburger, 20, back-row/front row (Currumbin).

Link

Last edited by a moderator:

rambo1

Juniors
Jay Florimo is the son of North's legend Greg Florimo. He has played junior reps for the Bears. I don't think Matt Groat is ready for 20's. He should be blooded in SG Ball. A very good player who played NSW U/16's this season.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Monikura Tikinau, played here in the Auckland Fox Memorial side for the Mighty Otahuhu Leopoards. Had an amazing try scoring rate this season, somethig like 30+ tries for the season.

rambo1

Juniors
Monikura Tikinau, played here in the Auckland Fox Memorial side for the Mighty Otahuhu Leopoards. Had an amazing try scoring rate this season, somethig like 30+ tries for the season.

What position does he play? Tell us more about him, size, weight, speed etc

Lox

Juniors
ellery wilson played njc 18s for wellington and ricardo parata is the younger brother of matt parata.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

Yeah I remember that fulla.

Also Neecrum Aliitia played for Manurewa Marlins a few years ago when they won Auckland Fox comp in '07.

Played Backrow back then went to Keebra. Not sure if he has improved at keebra but was a good talent when at the marlins as a school boy against some massive units.

roopy

Referee
Jason Schirnack is a kiwi kid who was at the Knights for two years.
He is a very hardworking second rower or lock who tops the tackle count half his games and does plenty of work in attack.
I'd be surprized if he isn't training with your firstgrade squad.
I can't see why you would have signed him as a 20 year old if you didn't have firstgrade in mind, and he has the game for it if he has a good off season and builds up a bit.

brook

First Grade
Jason Schirnack is a kiwi kid who was at the Knights for two years.
He is a very hardworking second rower or lock who tops the tackle count half his games and does plenty of work in attack.
I'd be surprized if he isn't training with your firstgrade squad.
I can't see why you would have signed him as a 20 year old if you didn't have firstgrade in mind, and he has the game for it if he has a good off season and builds up a bit.

Do you know if he is related to Alan?

roopy

Referee
One teenage talent who won't be there is 18-year-old Wainuiomata hooker Ellery Wilson, who signed with the Wests Tigers last week on a two-year deal.
Wilson, who dug into his own pocket to fly to Sydney for trials, is training with the Tigers' under-20s squad after impressing in a trial against a Tongan selection.
Wilson, who played first XV rugby at halfback for St Patrick's Silverstream, is living with two other Wellington prospects at the Tigers, brothers Alan and Jason Schirnack. Alan is in the NRL squad and Jason the under-20s.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4780250a6033.html

brook

First Grade
I don't.
He was the forward i was tipping to be our best in NYC and i gave him a chance to crack firstgrade.
He is a big loss for us.

Well I just hope he doesn't join the growing list of promising young forwards we've ruined...

Latest posts