What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wettest Rugby Leagues

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont know what everyone thought but the conditions on Friday night was one of the worst Ive seen. Not sure if thats the wettest game, but theres been some interesting ones over the years.

1991 State of Origin Game 2, at SFS. Still a great game.
1992 World Sevens, it just rained the whole tournament,
1997, Manly Vs Gold Coast, Brookvale, I think the crowd was only 3,000 people and the other game on that day was called off.
1998, Balmain Vs Newcastle, Leichhardt, not sure if this was the one where they toed it in the in goal and fullback from Balmain lost it and Craigie couldnt pick it up.
2003, Parramatta Vs Melbourne, Parramatta Stad.

Ausguy

Coach
there was a game in the 90's sharks v knights at shark park, the kick off went backwards due to wind, was pi$$ing down to.

I dont know what everyone thought but the conditions on Friday night was one of the worst Ive seen. Not sure if thats the wettest game, but theres been some interesting ones over the years.

1991 State of Origin Game 2, at SFS. Still a great game.
1992 World Sevens, it just rained the whole tournament,
1997, Manly Vs Gold Coast, Brookvale, I think the crowd was only 3,000 people and the other game on that day was called off.
1998, Balmain Vs Newcastle, Leichhardt, not sure if this was the one where they toed it in the in goal and fullback from Balmain lost it and Craigie couldnt pick it up.
2003, Parramatta Vs Melbourne, Parramatta Stad.
That 1997 game wasn't at Brookvale because it was too wet so they played it at South Curl Curl Oval or something. The other game that was called off was Newcastle v Souths at Newcastle and they had to play it at a later date.

There was a game a couple of years back in France where one corner of the field in particular was flooded but they still played and when there was a try scored in that corner it was pretty much like a bloke diving into a swimming pool.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah I recall the game but Im pretty sure they still played at Brookvale.

Alexander mentioned on the League Lounge a couple of games in 1989 were some shockers.

One at North Sydney Oval against Canterbury.

Loudstrat

Coach
Not much respect for history. Every wet few days produced a game like that in Sydney. The most famous of course is the 63 GF

images

There was a game at Campbelltown , late 80"s between Wests and Gold Coast , you could not tell the teams apart , they were covered in Mud head to toe

TheDalek079

Bench
a game a few years ago tigs v warriors. probably the heaviest rain that i've encountered. tigs were taking a kick and that got delayed a couple of minutes. the heavy heavy rain only lasted a couple of minutes though

anjado

Juniors
a game a few years ago tigs v warriors. probably the heaviest rain that i've encountered. tigs were taking a kick and that got delayed a couple of minutes. the heavy heavy rain only lasted a couple of minutes though

Yeah i was going to nominate this game. It fell down for 5 minutes like a monsoon you could barely see anything.

Parramatta vs Brisbane 1989 was pretty bad the worst seasons for wet weather were 1989,1997 and 1998.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
christ, i was at that one. it was sunny before kickoff, and during the first half it absolutely shat down. i had an umbrella and still got drenched.

finished 21-4 to the warriors after they scored two really, really late tries once it started to dry up.

Mr Saab

Referee
There was a pre season game ( i think) between the eels and knight at newcastle....was back in 1992 or 93 (stu galbraith). Massive thunderstorm and lightening Was on boots and all.
Also the game where Blocker patted Eddie Ward on the head at Brookvale oval....there was a massive hail storm...was back in 1990

PARRA_FAN

Coach
There was a pre season game ( i think) between the eels and knight at newcastle....was back in 1992 or 93 (stu galbraith). Massive thunderstorm and lightening Was on boots and all.
Also the game where Blocker patted Eddie Ward on the head at Brookvale oval....there was a massive hail storm...was back in 1990

Yeah 1994, terrible conditions. Players came on to the field after half time and the massive storm hit. Yeah see footage of Stu Gailbraith trying to take cover and an umbrella was blown across the ground.

Pretty similar to a trial game in 2002, Parramatta vs the Northern Eagles, lightning hit the ground at Gosford and the lights went out. Game was stopped for 45 minutes.

That Manly/Balmain game wasnt the same game where Blocker was sent off. Im pretty sure that game was at Leichhardt earlier in the year, (if I find it Youtube again, Ill post the link).

Benji Magic

Juniors
I remember the world sevens in '92. I was there with my Dad and brother no undercover & we got drenched.
There was a city country game played at Wollongong around early/mid 90's that was like a swamp.