What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beergardener

Juniors
Firstly this is my first post here, so go easy on me.

Secondly, a disclaimer that I am a Broncos fan, but I am passionate about RL in general and I think it would be best for the Broncos if we had a local rival to play derbies against, and I also think that Suncorp is an underutilised world class stadium.

I think there is the talent in Australian/South Pacific RL for 2 more teams, and I am not here to debate that, so if you disagree please take your comments somewhere else, or create your own post on this.

I think for sponsorship reasons another team in Brisbane, playing out of Suncorp makes a lot of sense, as from many reports there are companies not affiliated with the Broncos lining up to sponsor another local team. I think the main problem is gaining support from enough fans for another team, and generating a reason for new fans, or existing fans of both local and non-local clubs to come on board.

Much has said about the need for a new team to capitalize on an existing rivalry within Brisbane, such as between the Northern and Southern suburbs or between Brisbane and Western suburbs/Ipswich. I think my idea of calling a new team “Moreton” or “Moreton Bay” could instead capitalise on a growing, new rivalry between Inner City Brisbane and Regional Brisbane. Moreton Bay Regional council is a new council area located North of Brisbane, formed in 2008, comprising the previous regions of Redcliffe, Pine Rivers and Caboolture, with a population of 425,000 in 2015 (according to Wikipedia). In addition, many local residents would consider the Redlands council areas South of Brisbane, including the “Southern Moreton Bay Islands” like Russell and Macleay, and even parts of Brisbane ‘on the Bay’ like Wynnum and Manly to the South and Sandgate and Shorncliffe to the North, to be part of Moreton Bay. Even Ipswich, which is in the health district “West Moreton”, and having a school called West Moreton Anglican College, despite being some 40km from the Bay, seems to consider itself part of the Moreton region.

My plan for a new team would capitalise on this rivalry by making use of the existing regional facilities, attempting to bring together Rugby League fans from North and South and potentially West of Brisbane to cheer for a team that represents their regions, rather than the inner city. I would have this new club make arrangements to base itself at both Redcliffe Dolphins and Wynnum-Manly Seagulls Leagues clubs, with players coming from both teams, and fans and members being able to gain entry and cheer for their team at both clubhouses. Training grounds for the new side would probably have to be chosen from between the above clubs, with my choice being Redcliffe as its facilities have recently been upgraded, and I think there is probably greater chance of the State or Regional governments granting further money if a professional League team was located there. There may also be some potential for Ipswich Jets to get on board also, with it becoming a member-Leagues club to this new organization also, and supplying some players to the new team. I realise though that this link between Moreton and Ipswich is more tenuous and so may only work if one of the above two clubs was not amenable to this idea (and the Broncos may not be too keen on losing 3 of their 5 feeder teams).

As for the team’s name, I would choose to call it the Moreton Muddies. Mudcrabs are a famous South East Queensland produce and are fairly representative of the region. I think keeping a fairly coastal/aquatic mascot and logo is best given the team represents a Bay region. Club colours could be maroon and white, maroon with thin black stripes or maroon with pale blue (like Central Queensland or striped like North Brisbane Rugby Club). Other suggestions are Moreton Mudcrabs, Moreton Bay Manta Rays (for those who like both rhyming and alliteration!) or the Moreton Dolphins, if we want to strengthen the ties to the existing Dolphins club (this would probably be best if the team was not able to or looking to utilize facilities from the existing Seagulls or Jets clubs). Lastly Moreton Coast Crushers could make links with a previous club which had good support in the region (crowds in first year averaging 21 000, and I still saw Crushers jerseys around town some 15 years after they folded), however this does not capitalize on the coastal nickname/mascot.

With the club having support across both sides of the river and potentially to the West also, and with all of these areas having existing rail links to the inner city, I think playing out of Suncorp Stadium makes best sense. Trials and preseason games could take place at Dolphin oval, North Ipswich Reserve and BMD Kougari Oval, and even regional grounds like Stradbroke Island (which hosts a QCup game annually).

Lastly, I think that this new club would have immediate success as instead of trying to convert casual fans or existing Broncos fans like the Brisbane Bombers or Ipswich/Jagera Jets (many Broncos fans out Ipswich way!) bid proposals arguably do, they make use of supporters of existing, local clubs. There are still many local supporters of Queensland Rugby League who do not support the Broncos, support only local RL clubs, or (casually or passionately) support out of town teams like the Storm, Cowboys or Bulldogs due to perceived lack of representation, or issues with the Broncos structure. I think that this new club, if handled correctly would easily gain attendances from these types of fans who are looking for a new club, looking for more games in their region to go and view, or (most significantly) are looking for a club that better represents them.