What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are we???

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Its really only dawned on me (after explaining it to my son)....
St George SLAYED the dragon, yet we’re called the Dragons. Shouldn’t we be called the SAINTS. ?????

Frank Facer

First Grade
St George SLAYED the dragon, yet we’re called the Dragons. Shouldn’t we be called the SAINTS. ?????
I agree that we should be called the Saints. I have called us Saints for 39 years and still do. Our original name was the St George Slayers. It makes more sense to be called the Slayers than Dragons, but now that we have been called the Dragons for so long, we have created a holy trinity of sorts, with St George, The Dragon and Red and White.

When I was in about 4th class, I had a St George sloppy joe. On the top of the sleeve of the jumper it had a slogan saying Slay'em Saints. At the time I had no idea why it said that.

I feel the whole Dragons vs Saints thing has become a little generational and a result of the JV.
St.George Illawarra really pushed the Dragons branding from '99 onwards as a unified banner for the new team and I reckon that anyone who was born 1995 onwards will know them as The Dragons and anyone before that is Saints.

As a kid of the 80's and 90's I grew up knowing them simply as St.George or Saints for short. We chanted Saints or St.George on the hill, all the merch had just St.George or Saints on it, even our emblem (and still to this day) is the only one that doesn't have the name of the mascot plastered across it, ours simply said St.George and post JV St.George Illawarra. And personally, I hope it stays that way.

I do remember Dragons being around as a secondary name and the St.George bank dragon was always at the grounds, but I don't remember a mascot being as prominent a thing as it has become in the post Super League and professional era of Rugby League where branding and franchise have become more important, or at least more recognised, than the teams location.

I really prided myself on calling the team St.George or later on St.George Illawarra.
I grew up in Bondi and supported Saints and grew up in a St.George family so for me it was a real pride thing that I really related too. More so than a Dragon.

No matter what the tradition haters do or say, we were and
No matter what the tradition haters say or do, we will always be the Mighty Saints.
There is no "Dragon" in our verbal identity and never has been.
The grass roots catchment area is called St. George and the Club has always been called St. George.
Blocker Roach is not much of a commentator but I love it when he insists on calling us the "Saints" when he calls our games.

BLM01

First Grade
What about in the 2000's? when at Kogarah or Wollongong as they would play the song as the 1st grade run on "The Saints are Comin". That was gold.
That came after the many years at Kogarah trumpeting and sound of "When The Saints Go Marchin In"
and "Newmans of Kogarah down Rocky Point Road".

Sorry Muzby all you heard at Wollongong in the 90's...were Steelers...Steelers..Steelers with a bit of clapping in between. Not real exciting stuff! :p

Old Timer

Coach
“Puff the magic saint”
I dint think so somehow
Being a child of the 50’s I can assure you both Dragons and Saints were used to describe our team
During the great run in grand final week butcher shops would have dragons in the window roasting whatever poor bird or animal that was unlucky enough to be the mascot of the other team.
Can’t ever remember a shop with a saint in the window blessing anything.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Actually don't mind that! Worst team song has to be the the Sharks.

"Up up Cronulla" etc. What eight year old wrote that?
It’s a derivative of an older song “up yours, Cronulla”

Up yours, Cronulla

A team who get belted black and blue

Up yours, Cronulla

It’s off to Perth with you

Perth Sharks forever

Go out and play without sponsors

Cause fans won’t see good football

We don’t want the sharks here

Up yours, Sharks.

grouch

First Grade
In the early decades St George were known as the Dragon Slayers ( and Saints). The nickame was shortened at some point there but i can't recall when

Jersey No 14

Juniors
We are.... "IN LEAGUE"
Saint George and the Dragon
We are in league with one another to bring down all those who choose to suppress our reign.
WE are in League to rise above the tierny of man to conqueor the normal for the continuial quest for greatness - united with power.
We are In League for - SUCCESS
Where to many premierships are barely enough
We are in League for tomorrow - and the day after that - For Eternity!!!!