What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What concerns me most

Avenger

Immortal
How many players have maintained or improved their form of last year? At best I can think of 5.
Hayne is still our best player, probably not as brilliant as last year but still our best player. Ben Smith has improved as has Tim Mannah. Hindmarsh and Cayless have maintained their form. Horo has been a revelation but cannot be included.

However this is where it stops. Every other player has dropped off. Especially Mortimer, Reddy, Burt, Inu, Matt Keating, Mateo and Moimoi. Tahu has been a massive disappointment especially when you consider how good he was before switching to Union.

Uncle Leo

Juniors
How many players have maintained or improved their form of last year? At best I can think of 5.
Hayne is still our best player, probably not as brilliant as last year but still our best player. Ben Smith has improved as has Tim Mannah. Hindmarsh and Cayless have maintained their form. Horo has been a revelation but cannot be included.

However this is where it stops. Every other player has dropped off. Especially Mortimer, Reddy, Burt, Inu, Matt Keating, Mateo and Moimoi. Tahu has been a massive disappointment especially when you consider how good he was before switching to Union.

Tahu was not DA's signing. Tahu wanted out of Rugby. Ozzie could boost his profile by announcing a high profile signing and help his mate out at the same time. After the rollercoaster ride of excitement in 2009, I suspect most Eels fans accepted the news of Tahu back, with "open arms" with the expectations of him being the player he was prior to Rugby.

Avenger

Immortal
Tahu was not DA's signing. Tahu wanted out of Rugby. Ozzie could boost his profile by announcing a high profile signing and help his mate out at the same time. After the rollercoaster ride of excitement in 2009, I suspect most Eels fans accepted the news of Tahu back, with "open arms" with the expectations of him being the player he was prior to Rugby.

This is not a DA dig. I was excited about Tahu however he has been disappointing.

Gronk

Staff member
TBH if Tahu hung up his boots now it would not cause me much grief.

(ducks for cover)

Djay

Juniors
I reckon Tahu will have a really good season next year. It's probably taken him a while to get back in the swing of things plus all the dramas with Joey Johns wouldn't have helped.

mrpwnd

Bench

(ducks for cover)
Me too. Given his Wright's massive improvement during his last few games I don't think Tahu deserves to be anywhere near his jersey atm, it doesn't help that he had that cry + injuries.

fish eel

Immortal
Mannah, Hayne, Horo, Lasalo and Wright seem to have responded.

Yeah, though the dropping off of some of the other players is a it of a concern. Funnily enough, they're all established whereas the ones you name as responding (which they have) werent really established when DA came (Hayne excepted)

Bazal

Post Whore
Tahu, to be fair, has been pretty much sitting on his arse for his entire Tahs tenure...I expect (or should that be hope? lol) him to improve next year

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
What do you think of DA's player development?

If the builders materials have been tampered with
If the builders tools are tampered with
If a hierarchy exists to meddle, intercede and interfere with the builder
If restrictions and other limitations are placed on the builder
The builders building will be compromised

How the f**k can we really know what Daniel Andersons player development really IS
if there are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians??????

caylo

Bench
I reckon Tahu will have a really good season next year. It's probably taken him a while to get back in the swing of things plus all the dramas with Joey Johns wouldn't have helped.

After Tahu came back from suspension he played the best I had seen him in a long time. Next year I expect the following backline

Hayne
Burt
Tahu
Wright
Reddy

That IMO is just good as our backline this year which is more than adequate. In our forwads I think Lasalo can be just as good a hole runner as Mateo, his defence and attack was very strong. He man handled Thiday a few times and reads defence very well. ATM we need to pick up a half (which is obvious) and if we can snare any quality whether that be Quade Cooper or Bret Kimmorley we will be a force. I watched Thorman at some games last year and his kicking game was very good, as an organising halfback I think we could do worse.

If the builders materials have been tampered with
If the builders tools are tampered with
If a hierarchy exists to meddle, intercede and interfere with the builder
If restrictions and other limitations are placed on the builder
The builders building will be compromised

How the f**k can we really know what Daniel Andersons player development really IS
if there are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians??????
well said casper at the start of the year i thought the problem was our players were lazy but now i think their minds aren't on the game because of the boardroom infighting

(ducks for cover)
Funny, i was thinking the same thing.
In fairness he he gets fit which has always been a problem for him and get back to 80% of what he was before he went to union he will be worth it.

Djay

Juniors
After Tahu came back from suspension he played the best I had seen him in a long time. Next year I expect the following backline

Hayne
Burt
Tahu
Wright
Reddy

That IMO is just good as our backline this year which is more than adequate. In our forwads I think Lasalo can be just as good a hole runner as Mateo, his defence and attack was very strong. He man handled Thiday a few times and reads defence very well. ATM we need to pick up a half (which is obvious) and if we can snare any quality whether that be Quade Cooper or Bret Kimmorley we will be a force. I watched Thorman at some games last year and his kicking game was very good, as an organising halfback I think we could do worse.
Looks pretty solid, only thing I disagree with is having Wright and Reddy. Not a big fan of either but I'd rather have Wright as IMO Reddy is useless in attack.

yy_cheng

Coach
Let's see how long it takes Gasnier to hit his pre-union straps.

Then we can judge how Tahu is going.

Imagine when Izzy comes back to league. He'll be trying to kick the ball every touch.

caylo

Bench
Looks pretty solid, only thing I disagree with is having Wright and Reddy. Not a big fan of either but I'd rather have Wright as IMO Reddy is useless in attack.

I think Reddy is one of the best finisher in our team, he isnt a creator thou and thats why i never understood him in the centres. I can imagine him on the end of the alot of Hayne and Cooper passes and doing a Ferguson or Dugan to finish off a try.
IMO Lasalo, Wright, Filinga or even Loko are possible centre replacments that could do the same defencive job as Reddy and we can use his aerial andn finishing skills better on the Wing.

mrpwnd

Bench
Exactly how good is this Loko kid? Don't watch too many Wenty games. Reckon he could hit first grade with a bang? Is he old enough to go through the physical demand of first grade as well.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Reddy is one of the best finisher in our team, he isnt a creator thou and thats why i never understood him in the centres. I can imagine him on the end of the alot of Hayne and Cooper passes and doing a Ferguson or Dugan to finish off a try.
IMO Lasalo, Wright, Filinga or even Loko are possible centre replacments that could do the same defencive job as Reddy and we can use his aerial andn finishing skills better on the Wing.

Totally agree and I like the fact Reddy as a ex fullback is good with the high ball. Lately our biggesdt problem is our wingers have not been able to catch the high bombs, reddy dwould not have this problem. I woulod give Loko the centre spot if he has a good offseason. But Wright is definitely improving after each game, and from my early opinion of him being crap is changing by the week.

Latest posts