What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do the Gold Coast bring?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You said bog average entertainment that’s why I asked.

Yeah, love it. I don’t follow any of the other football codes really
I meant it in terms of the fact they’ve lost the last 5 games at home. Paying that much to watch your team lose is not great way to spend your money And soon gets tired.

Colk

First Grade
6 million people, ten clubs. Do the maths.

Sydney’s population is 5 million and they have 9 clubs. Unless you are talking about the population of NSW and referring to ten clubs in the state? The state population is about 8.25 million

This Year?

Immortal
ahh Burleigh Bears, Tweed Heads Seagulls - both have been around for 80+ years lol
God I feel so dumb. I know pretty much nothing of RL in that area, so it's nice to get a history lesson. How can a catchment with such a long history of rugby league in the area have 0 dna in it's current 1st grade club? I get that the pathways would have been probably to the Broncos leading up to before the 1st inception of a NRL side and I read somewhere that the Storm have few juniors from the GC. As far as I know the only one currently there who is a local junior is Sexton.
Maybe they need find a way to make the Titans more attractive to local juniors.

Nearly 6 million people, nine clubs. Do the maths.
Cronulla are sitting in third and can’t get more fans than titans when they’re playing another sydney club!
You would know perfectly well that Cronulla's crowds are capped at that 11 odd thousand at the moment. I know it burns you and that get rid of the donkeys imbecile that the club is here to stay forever 😘

Last time i made the trek up to gold coast to watch the sharks play there was 2015 and our fans outnumbered their fans quite easily, interested to know if that's still the case with away fans being the majority.

mongoose

Coach
God I feel so dumb. I know pretty much nothing of RL in that area, so it's nice to get a history lesson. How can a catchment with such a long history of rugby league in the area have 0 dna in it's current 1st grade club? I get that the pathways would have been probably to the Broncos leading up to before the 1st inception of a NRL side and I read somewhere that the Storm have few juniors from the GC. As far as I know the only one currently there who is a local junior is Sexton.
Maybe they need find a way to make the Titans more attractive to local juniors.
Brimson, Fafita are Keebra Park juniors. Pretty sure Jayden Campbell is a local junior - there is probably more...

They're on the right track in that respect. Something gone wrong with the coaching and recruitment though...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
This talk about people from the Gold Coast only supporting other teams is horse hockey.

I had family that were dyed in the wool St George fans. They then moved to the Mt Druitt area. The parents remained dragons fans but their kids supported Penrith.

Same with myself. Old man is a dragons fan and from that area. As kids we moved south where the raiders were prominent and I chose to support them*.

Same will happen in the Gold Coast.

* And thus began my descent into insanity.

This talk about people from the Gold Coast only supporting other teams is horse hockey.

I had family that were dyed in the wool St George fans. They then moved to the Mt Druitt area. The parents remained dragons fans but their kids supported Penrith.

Same with myself. Old man is a dragons fan and from that area. As kids we moved south where the raiders were prominent and I chose to support them*.

Same will happen in the Gold Coast.

* And thus began my descent into insanity.
I agree with this but getting regular, good size crowds took a while to establish in Penrith, didn’t it? Regular bottom of the ladder seasons in the early years didn’t help of course. GC are going through similar growing pains maybe.

Wb1234

Referee
Also played in 2 grand finals in the last 10 years. You like ignoring that I realise.

16 seasons, 1 finals win, gunning for their third wooden spoon. If a Sydney team was that shit I'd be questioning their existence as well. If the Gold Coast had even a sniff of success in that time I probably wouldn't make this thread
Better juniors
Better stadium
Average crowds generally bigger than the dogs

don’t share their area with 8 other teams so can be easily replaced and won’t be missed lol

Not only does the Gold Coast not offer anything to the NRL, the shithole offers nothing the Australia as a whole.

We should look at sawing it off and towing it over and formally making it NZ's 3 Island

We already have a 3rd island (Stewart Island). Actually we have many other islands such as:
Waiheke
Great Barrier
Chathams
Matakana
And various others.

We probably do need the theme parks and women in bikinis though, so we'll take it.

Colk

First Grade
I agree with this but getting regular, good size crowds took a while to establish in Penrith, didn’t it? Regular bottom of the ladder seasons in the early years didn’t help of course. GC are going through similar growing pains maybe.

It’s the same with a lot of clubs. The Dolphins will take time to build a base as well. It will also be the same with the 18th club most likely Perth or NZ 2.

It takes a generation of two to build a solid base of a couple hundred thousand; as well as some success.

I’m comfortable with the Gold Coast being in the competition. We need at least three clubs in South East Queensland, considering it is outside of Perth, the fastest growing region in Australia. If we’re looking at where to have or put sides, we need to think about metrics like this. Also, if and when they achieve success, the support will follow

Frailty

First Grade
It’s the same with a lot of clubs. The Dolphins will take time to build a base as well. It will also be the same with the 18th club most likely Perth or NZ 2.

It takes a generation of two to build a solid base of a couple hundred thousand; as well as some success.

I’m comfortable with the Gold Coast being in the competition. We need at least three clubs in South East Queensland, considering it is outside of Perth, the fastest growing region in Australia. If we’re looking at where to have or put sides, we need to think about metrics like this. Also, if and when they achieve success, the support will follow
The Dolphins, as much as they really try to move away from it, do have a strong base from Redcliffe. As long as they don't completely alienate this base, they should have a solid base to build from (even if the team is going to be pretty meh in the first season).

Perth have been doing A LOT of grass roots work over the last 10-15 years that I think will help create a solid base. They have community support, they already have development pathways that have started, etc. The Perth Reds were still fairly well supported when they were folded.

Both of these teams will still need to make the right decisions in coaching and recruitment. Dolphins went with the name coach, but we will see if he can build this team effectively. Team isn't looking great yet, but I'd be giving them more than one season.

Gold Coast's problem is really around the coaching and recruitment itself. They're the Wests Tigers in South East Queensland. They are throwing money it any free agent hoping they will come without much plan for the team itself. It's great having Tino and Fifita, but it's not great when you have no decent spine players and your game plan revolves around involving Fifita as little as possible. They really need to put together a strategy that is evidence-based to fix up their roster.

Colk

First Grade
The Dolphins, as much as they really try to move away from it, do have a strong base from Redcliffe. As long as they don't completely alienate this base, they should have a solid base to build from (even if the team is going to be pretty meh in the first season).

Perth have been doing A LOT of grass roots work over the last 10-15 years that I think will help create a solid base. They have community support, they already have development pathways that have started, etc. The Perth Reds were still fairly well supported when they were folded.

Both of these teams will still need to make the right decisions in coaching and recruitment. Dolphins went with the name coach, but we will see if he can build this team effectively. Team isn't looking great yet, but I'd be giving them more than one season.

Gold Coast's problem is really around the coaching and recruitment itself. They're the Wests Tigers in South East Queensland. They are throwing money it any free agent hoping they will come without much plan for the team itself. It's great having Tino and Fifita, but it's not great when you have no decent spine players and your game plan revolves around involving Fifita as little as possible. They really need to put together a strategy that is evidence-based to fix up their roster.

Agree with a lot of that.

It will be interesting with the Dolphins and this is the thing about whether or not they should have been chosen. Are they going to get their support from the outer suburbs and perhaps Sunshine Coast or are they getting from Brisbane. If they can get both that would be amazing. If it’s the former, then perhaps another Brisbane side is on the cards.

I think Perth is less of a risk than people think. Yes, AFL is very popular but you’re talking about a city of over 2 million and growing fast with a large expat population. It’s a no brainer really.

It will be interesting if and when they go with 20 teams (it won’t be within 20 years I would think). I think Perth and another Kiwi side are next in line but the 20th side would be interesting.

Anyway going off topic. GC have some hurdles but if they get the front office right they will be fine. Booming area

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Agree with a lot of that.

It will be interesting with the Dolphins and this is the thing about whether or not they should have been chosen. Are they going to get their support from the outer suburbs and perhaps Sunshine Coast or are they getting from Brisbane. If they can get both that would be amazing. If it’s the former, then perhaps another Brisbane side is on the cards.

I think Perth is less of a risk than people think. Yes, AFL is very popular but you’re talking about a city of over 2 million and growing fast with a large expat population. It’s a no brainer really.

It will be interesting if and when they go with 20 teams (it won’t be within 20 years I would think). I think Perth and another Kiwi side are next in line but the 20th side would be interesting.

Anyway going off topic. GC have some hurdles but if they get the front office right they will be fine. Booming area

GC just need a 5 year run as a contender. That should be enough to build a bigger bandwagon for a while.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stated this elsewhere but the reality is nearly every NRL club has a solid 11-13k fanbase for attendances, then another 3k-5k band waggoners who jump on board when team doing well. Penrith latest to prove this.

Gold coast are where you would expect a team that generally finishes around 11th to be, 12-13k crowd avg. If they were top half of table it would go up to 14-15k, if they were challenging 17-18k. As it is with nearly every club because they are sht at attracting and retaining fans regardless of form. The GC attendance argument is a myth as they are on par with the rest of NRL.

Knights the exception as their fans are amazing, and Sharks at the other end who didn't pick up many when they were successful as they just dont have many fans active or latent.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You would know perfectly well that Cronulla's crowds are capped at that 11 odd thousand at the moment. I know it burns you and that get rid of the donkeys imbecile that the club is here to stay forever 😘
I'm not just talking this year, and its 12k, and they cant even sell that out lol

Brimson, Fafita are Keebra Park juniors. Pretty sure Jayden Campbell is a local junior - there is probably more...

They're on the right track in that respect. Something gone wrong with the coaching and recruitment though...
They lost a lot of experience in their spine with Fogarty and Rein leaving the club. They replaced them with youth who aren't ready for the NRL.

Latest posts