What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we need to win a premiership?

Basil Brush

Juniors
I know there are some ordinary threads started on this forum (and this may be one), but most of us are true Parra fans and want to see us succeed.

Hence, what is the biggest ingredient to us winning our first comp since that magic day in 1986.

I want to ask fans:

1) is it the coach? If so, is Arthur the right man?

2) Is it our dysfunctional front office? Have we finally got the right people in Max and Bernie?

3) is it our players? If so, what do we need? I think most fans think we need a good dummy half and a decent prop/go forward player.

4) Lastly, (and this hurts me to say) is it our supporters? Do we just not care enough? I really doubt this last point as I feel Parra fans are supremely passionate.

I post thread because I support all codes of footy (league, AFL, soccer/football and even union).

However, one of my biggest passions is our mighty club.

I am a bit annoyed that while we are a strong club in a lot of ways, we are also a bit of a joke.

All thoughts are welcome, while i understand this thread could also go the way of a lot of other threads on this forum

Bandwagon

Staff member
First up we just need to show enough consistency to make the finals over the next few years, and at least look like a team that could take it out.

From there, throw in a bit of luck a few things go our way and we're there.

There aren't any guarantees no matter how good a squad we have, and how sorted our football department and back office are, these things only increase the chance of success, to win the premiership all these things need to be in place, and then a bunch of random shit has to fall our way.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
More experience in the spine. Outside of that we have a good structure of a premiership winning team and a good succession plan for players retiring/leaving.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I know there are some ordinary threads started on this forum (and this may be one), but most of us are true Parra fans and want to see us succeed.

Hence, what is the biggest ingredient to us winning our first comp since that magic day in 1986.

I want to ask fans:

1) is it the coach? If so, is Arthur the right man?

2) Is it our dysfunctional front office? Have we finally got the right people in Max and Bernie?

3) is it our players? If so, what do we need? I think most fans think we need a good dummy half and a decent prop/go forward player.

4) Lastly, (and this hurts me to say) is it our supporters? Do we just not care enough? I really doubt this last point as I feel Parra fans are supremely passionate.

I post thread because I support all codes of footy (league, AFL, soccer/football and even union).

However, one of my biggest passions is our mighty club.

I am a bit annoyed that while we are a strong club in a lot of ways, we are also a bit of a joke.

All thoughts are welcome, while i understand this thread could also go the way of a lot of other threads on this forum

All will be revealed evening of October 1st this year...

Our back 5 are fine. We have the likes of Hoffman and Auva'a outside the Top 17 so we've got some good depth there, as well as some real strike in Jennings, French and Guth.

Our halves have serious potential, so no problems there. A bit worried about backups but how easy is it to have a Premiership quality half sitting in reserves? Is Will Smith good enough as a backup?

I actually question our backrow. Ma'u seems to have lost his evasiveness and offloading and Edwards is just as likely to hand over the ball or territory as anything else. I think we need a hard running backrower.

Our front row is acceptable but short of a real metre eater and line bender. Will Evans fill that role? Or will we still be a bit short?

We need a hooker. A real one.

Bench depth is good but we'll be losing the likes of Pritchard and Gower. We'll still be able to field a good 17 with the likes of Vave and Matagi but we may not have the troops to call on should we end up with some injuries next year.

So, basically, if we are happy with Evans bulking up the front row, with Meehan coming good, then I think, in terms of the roster, we're short a hooker and a dynamic second rower. Adding these to the squad on top of what we have would also solve the depth problem.

Arthur is good enough as a coach. Our front office is no longer visible in public so that's going ok. It's just the roster.

Gronk

Staff member
You need a good mix of experience and gutsy youth and a hell of a lot of luck with injuries.

Bet you that the stats show that high achiever teams use the least players in FG each year.

eel01s

Bench
Improve our mental toughness so we don't get that 20 to 30 minute period where we can't complete a set and give away stupid penalties.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I think our attack needs much work.
Medium sized forwards continually pounding and getting pounded in the middle with not a hint of an offload allows opposition defence to compress with the inevitable result.
N.Brown was always looking to offload early but he's had that privileged taken from him it appears. No other forwards either have that skill or are allowed to offload.
More offloads i say.

Gronk

Staff member
Medium sized forwards continually pounding and getting pounded in the middle with not a hint of an offload allows opposition defence to compress with the inevitable result.
N.Brown was always looking to offload early but he's had that privileged taken from him it appears. No other forwards either have that skill or are allowed to offload.
More offloads i say.

Yes the good sides always create second phase play.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon the main thing we are missing is just one experienced forward leader in the middle. A player like Graham would be perfect (Burgess would be ideal). Not sure what other options are available.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
More offloads i say.

To be fair to our attack, our spine has played bugger all games together and while our half combo has only just started to get some game time together.

If we managed to scored just one more try in half the games we played this year, our attack would be close to the top 5 or so sides in the comp - and this would have been possible if our spine had more time together.

Latest posts