What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think we need to win a premiership??

T-Boon

Coach
Signed with Sharks.

I reckon we build for 2023/2024 after this season. Take a hit in 2022. Better a small one then having to blow the whole thing up.

I know he signed with Cronulla. I asked earlier why we didnt make a play for him (maybe we did, but an article I read said otherwise).
Agreed about the rebuild.

hindy111

Post Whore
I know he signed with Cronulla. I asked earlier why we didnt make a play for him (maybe we did, but an article I read said otherwise).
Agreed about the rebuild.

If we persist with this squad next season we make the top 8 but won't do any damage. Then I worry we have to blow it up and be 3yrs away for a challenge. 2025/2026
If we take a hit in 2022 we could put the pieces together to make a run in 2023/2024.

This year isn’t over. We kind of just need to hope we are all fit and finish top 5 and that Penrith and Storm are a little banged up and off. And aslong as one of them takes care of Souths. Lot of footy left. Lets see what unfolds.

TheRam

Coach
Penrith have a pretty small pack, so they are very mobile defensively. To'o and Edwards give them plenty of go forward out of their own end, so it is very difficult to pressure them. With Cleary's kicking game they can stay patient and win the grind. They either frustrate their opponents into error or they just outgrind them over 80 minutes.

They don't out grind teams mate. They out play them. We don't out play anyone. We physically power over teams and out bomb teams. If that doesn't work we don't have a plan B.

There in lays the problem. We aren't a smart footy team, even though we have very talented individual players. The coaching has to be accountable for that. Dumb footy teams don't win comps.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They don't out grind teams mate. They out play them. We don't out play anyone. We physically power over teams and out bomb teams. If that doesn't work we don't have a plan B.

There in lays the problem. We aren't a smart footy team, even though we have very talented individual players. The coaching has to be accountable for that. Dumb footy teams don't win comps.
You can't out grind a team without patience and execution, which is what Penrith have. They wait for defences to make a mistake.

lingard

Coach
Moses would be good at 5/8 and Guth would be good at centre. Guth is a bit slow. You could easily find a position for Hynes.
I don't think Moses would be a good five-eight. I don't think he runs straight enough often enough. I also think a five-eight's defence needs to be better than a half-back's.

lingard

Coach
It's not about capable vs not capable. It's about improving our chances. Once you've got a squad signed up I don't believe tactical tweaks make much difference, as the squad is built to suit a particular style of play. Or it might have been built with no style in mind (like when coaching/recruitment staff are replaced in quick succession) but will still suit one style over others. It would be foolish to change to a style that doesn't suit the squad, just because another (differently composed) squad is having more success with that style.

I think we are already a chance of winning the comp (about a 10% chance). But if we remained a 10% chance of winning the comp we would only win one roughly every ten years. Certainly better than our (average) probability of winning since 1986, but if we want to be better than 10% chance of winning we need to improve the squad.

I think the argument is that we are perhaps currently playing a style that doesn't suit our squad.

lingard

Coach
Penrith hardly have a great fullback. We have a better one. Their hooker isn't any better either.
Forward packs are close. So what makes them so much superior? It leaves the 6,7 and 2-5.
Actually, I think their centres are better than ours, too.