What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think we need to win a premiership??

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think you understand the difference between being a good enough team to compete for the comp, and having a team with the best or better line up.
Yep. I definitely think we will challenge for the premiership this year but our chances are about 10%, which is in line with our premiership odds. What this means is that we are 90% chance of not winning the comp, at least imo.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Appreciate @Noise sharing his info, but the whole shooter thing has me perplexed. Surely, it cant be the go to every time? I never see us slide.
I reckon that’s because the opposition seem to get quicker play the balls on our line (that may be due to our wrestle or hesitance to concede a restart or both). The tacklers don’t get set which means we then don’t number up. A decent attack can shift the ball quickly and the only option is to shoot and try and stop the play. That shooter needs to make a decision though and lately they have been getting it wrong and/or making poor contact leading to the play continuing (especially Waqa). You need some footy smarts in your defensive decision maker.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I would improve the spine so we don't need to be as reliant on Paulo, then I would play him for shorter minutes. While he's on the field though, he would make a lot more carries. Maybe play him in three stints. I would also go with two safe defensive centres rather than requiring strike from either of them. I think we need more speed at fullback as well, just so he can get away from such heavy contact from the kick chase. A surrender tackle is better than being driven back by three middle forwards.
I could get on board with this. I reckon a team that looked something like this would be capable of taking us to the next level:

1. Hynes
2. Sivo
3. Opacic
4. Drown
5. Blake/Dunster
6. Gutho
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. RCG
11. Paps
12. Matto
13. Brown

14. Smith
15. Kaufusi
16. Niukore
17. Lane

The good thing about this is that we’d only need to find room in the cap/squad for Hynes. Whether Jennings and Fergos departure would accommodate this with the recent upgrades, who knows. However I’d be trying to offload Blake and I could handle losing Lane and replacing him with either Emu, Hipgrave or even Stone in the 17 if it meant bringing in Hynes.

hindy111

Post Whore
Is it a coaching thing?

Lack of execution?

Lack of communication?

I'm not too sure what the answer is.

I do know that our squad, on paper, is decent. Maybe not at the level to win a Premiership yet, but we are good enough to ruffle some feathers come Finals time.

X factor. We have no one with x factor. We do not have a Semi or a Hayne anymore. A teddy,Turbo,Ponga,Kikau,Papnhzuen,Latrell etc.
I'm a firm believer you need someone with x factor to win a comp.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gutho - origin player Only due to injuries
fergo - origin player many years ago

Opacic- good buy fair
Waqa- at the time Penrith's top centre No. Why happy to get rid of. Had floors
Sivo- top tryscoring freak Has major floors
Dbaggs, chased by everyone. Due to age. But hasn't delivered,
Moses, top 4 halfback in the game when plays well but not consitent
RCG - top line origin
Mahoney - Origin
Paulo - Origin
matto - Origin conversations I honestly don't get it. Good but not great.
Papalili- buy of the seas
Brown origin Yeah nah. Did he make it? Needs to be a lot on injuries

Nikure - Starter most clubs
Cartwright- skillful
Khafusi- Australian schoolboys
Lane - very experience Starter

Gazzamatta

Coach
The Great Gus Gould was into Our Eels last night on 100% Footy with his opening comments.
" Gus, what have you learned from Indigenous Round"?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There is a shooter yes. Sometimes it appears to be centre and other times the winger. I'm not sure how that gets decided. It seems the timing and/or execution of the shoot is way off though.

Fergo has no idea. He gives the centre/half no opportunity to come across to provide cover. Blake / Dunster had no issues in the small sample of one game.

Fergo needs to trust his inside players.

With the defence you mentioned, it was good with Drown / Marata, as Drown after there is an over lap wouId slide better or provide cover for the wing / centre (which Arthur wasn’t doing, he wouIdnt slide quick enough or make the correct decision which is as expected from a rookie) or if Marata went for a tackle he generally nail it.

And Drown did save Marata a few times from looking like Blake

I reckon Drown and hopefully Opacic stays on that side (might as well have our better attacking centre on the left) we will see a huge difference.

lingard

Coach
I would have patience and spend more money there when it comes available.

No, I mean what areas do you think need improving - and how would you go about doing it. For example, you're saying you'd like more speed at fullback; so I'm imagining that would mean moving Gutherson to five-eight and replacing him with a fast fullback. You've often expressed your opinion that Dylan Brown might make a good centre. So if we had a spine of: Mahoney, Moses, Gutherson, fast fullback - with Opacec and Drown in the centres - do you think that would make us more competitive? If you do, I might tend to agree - except that I'm a little sceptical about Brown as a centre.

lingard

Coach
Fergo has no idea. He gives the centre/half no opportunity to come across to provide cover. Blake / Dunster had no issues in the small sample of one game.

Fergo needs to trust his inside players.

With the defence you mentioned, it was good with Drown / Marata, as Drown after there is an over lap wouId slide better or provide cover for the wing / centre (which Arthur wasn’t doing, he wouIdnt slide quick enough or make the correct decision which is as expected from a rookie) or if Marata went for a tackle he generally nail it.

And Drown did save Marata a few times from looking like Blake

I reckon Drown and hopefully Opacic stays on that side (might as well have our better attacking centre on the left) we will see a huge difference.

I don't think Waqa actually is a better attacking centre than Opacec.

Gazzamatta

Coach
No, I mean what areas do you think need improving - and how would you go about doing it. For example, you're saying you'd like more speed at fullback; so I'm imagining that would mean moving Gutherson to five-eight and replacing him with a fast fullback. You've often expressed your opinion that Dylan Brown might make a good centre. So if we had a spine of: Mahoney, Moses, Gutherson, fast fullback - with Opacec and Drown in the centres - do you think that would make us more competitive? If you do, I might tend to agree - except that I'm a little sceptical about Brown as a centre.
Probably swap Drown and Gutho.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't see Brown as a centre either. He needs to cement his spot in the 6 or he's f**ked imo.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
How come? He has good footwork, pace and is a great defender. I reckon they are the key attributes of a decent centre.

He probably doesn't want to play centre though.
He has OK pace, OK footwork and is a good defender. He'd be OK, but not if Opa is the other centre. Body shapes are too similar.

Latest posts