What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you want to see in 2013?

Frailty

First Grade
This thread is to discuss the changes we need in 2013 to improve - team, tactics, bench use, etc.

What would be an acceptable finish in 2013? Can we win the premiership?

carinashark

First Grade
I would like to see the team developed toward size , taller players not nessesarly heavier players, reason is , more able to stand in the tackle ( Jono , Besty) , more able to get an offload away, more able to jump for the ball, better to wrap the ball carrier up in defence by keeping the arms around the upper torso. Defence is a problem for smaller players even with large skill sets. look at Melbourne, actually copy the Melbourne model in everything possible ,now that in the coming years money wont be such a problem.

Special K

Coach
^ Can this f**king gronk piss off back under whatever rock he crawled out from under?

:lol: Just noticed that because I deleted some trolling post this looks very misdirected!! It was not aimed at you Frailty.

I want some finishers with speed. KFFL, Jennings - someone from the 20s!?!! Someone!! Anyone!!

coolumsharkie

Referee
I was wondering what got into Craigshark for a second there...

I think we need to start building the team around Graham, keep Lutele, he's improving with every game. I think Faffita will be awesome next year.. Aaah it's a long off season.

fizman

Bench
Apologies for offending the masses, but I would be playing Gallen at 10 next season and I would appoint a new Captain.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Apologies for offending the masses, but I would be playing Gallen at 10 next season and I would appoint a new Captain.

Doubt you will offend many, I think for as good as Gallen is he is holding the team back in the way he's over involves himself in every set of 6.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I'd like to see the team not playing September football in March and April and peaking by end of May.

The last half of the season showed to me a team practically burnt out. There was no zip or pizzazz left in them.

I'd like better injury management and better decisions made on when to play injured players and at what level of injury is it is wise to do so.

Gallen, Graham and Carney, while they are all lynchpins and important, played too many games where they would of been at 75% fit or less. Needling an achilles for a semi? Absolute f**king stupidity. That's practically a breach of duty of care. There's is no way known, in 2012 with modern diagnostics, that the club would not of known exactly how bad TCs achilles was before sending him out with a far better than 50/50 chance of completing a less serious rupture. Just lunacy. Playing Graham just 2 weeks after a fractured sternum? Stupid. I know of half a dozen others who played needled up for long periods when at other clubs they would of been rested.

Leads into this. At years beginning a lot of us here, and others in real space, looked at the squad and thought, "Wow, there's some good depth there." Well there wasn't or there was and it was in the wrong areas. Work on this Sharks

Leads into this. For many years I have gone with the opinion that the gulf between NYC and NRL is too big. I've stuck to a perception that you don't rush these kids in because they are not usually ready. Well can that now. I always thought that other clubs were spoilt for options when it came to the better NYC players. That they could bring them up because they were bigger, faster & stronger. I'd like the Sharks to see a way around the reluctance at giving kids a go. Find a system to do it in a supported way, less stressful way. Too often the club waits till it is in dore straits as far as personnel that all it can do is shuffle deck chairs rather than risk the young ones. The young ones have to get exposed earlier and while the top team is confident and winning. No point waiting till you can't use them when you need to use them.

fizman said:

This is inoffensive to me. I've heard far too many little stories about Gallen's obsession with numbers. Of course this isn't allowed outside hallowed walls. He needs to get out of the way of the flow of the game and this won't happen while being captain allows him to overcall plays, run where he wants no matter what is unfolding or whether he's needed there or not and generally just trying to be all things to all men football wise. He should also be banned from kicking, (just minor but he does it a lot in tight spots)

He is a prop. Out and out simple.

There's probably more :)

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
yeah take the captaincy of Gal as reward for him holding the club together for 5 years while playing busted, 80 minutes every week & doing the dirtiest of dirtiest hard work there is to do in the NRL.
Most obscene thing i have ever heard. Worked a treat for Penrith.
& who would we replace him with? Buy a new guy who can captain? because there is no other captain material at the club.
Uppercut required.

I'd like to see shorter beer lines at Shark Park.

On the field I'd like to see more attacking options offered by our backs, fluid backline movements for instance.

I also agree with Frenzy about injury management. Ours has been apauling on occassions, especially rushing guys back who are not ready, Wade and Todd being prime examples. We should show a bit of faith in our understudies, even if they are not on par with whom they are replacing. We won that last Souths game with a makeshift team.

I wonder how we would have fared yesterday with a Chad Townsend in the #6 jumper, its not as if our only optuion would have been to replace Carney with a prop from the reggies.

Surely

Post Whore
A fb with positional smarts, lucky we are getting one.

A fully fit Carney gallen and Graham

Two Fijian wingers

And a partridge in a pear tree

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
I would like to see Gallen moved into the front row as well - and part of the rotation... He doesn't need to play 80 minutes... My Forward pack and bench would look like this:

8. Gallen
9. DeGois
10. Gibbs
11. Smith (Toupou if Smith leaves)
12. Lewis
13. Graham

14. Ross
15. Fafita
16. Toupou (Bakuya if Smith leaves)
17. Lichaa

The big losers here are Tafua, Taga, Bakuya, and Morris. The first three need to play to force themselves into the side. The best way to breed form is to keep up competition for spots.

Morris... I feel sorry for him. He is a great player, and has added a lot to the side this year, but I really think we need to start blooding Lichaa into the top grade...

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I'd like to see shorter beer lines at Shark Park.

On the field I'd like to see more attacking options offered by our backs, fluid backline movements for instance.

I also agree with Frenzy about injury management. Ours has been apauling on occassions, especially rushing guys back who are not ready, Wade and Todd being prime examples. We should show a bit of faith in our understudies, even if they are not on par with whom they are replacing. We won that last Souths game with a makeshift team.

I wonder how we would have fared yesterday with a Chad Townsend in the #6 jumper, its not as if our only optuion would have been to replace Carney with a prop from the reggies.
What about we go into the game with CT at 5/8 Jon Green, Fafita as props, Ross & Gibbs starters , Taga as impact. etc etc.

ghoti

Bench
Agreed with Frenzy's comments on injury management and rotation...we had players like Taga, Green, Frizell, etc all playing in reserve grade while our backrowers played on with injuries that effected their performance for far too long. Gallen played injured for too much of the season and so did Carney. We need to put the fittest side on the park, not the biggest names...and I really hope that the awful management at the back end of the season taught the coaching staff a lesson. Gallen doesn't need to play 80, especially with that knee...it f**ked him around the last few games of the season.

We have a great side for next year on paper, and plenty of depth...we just need to use it.

Special K

Coach
Agreed with Frenzy's comments on injury management and rotation...we had players like Taga, Green, Frizell, etc all playing in reserve grade while our backrowers played on with injuries that effected their performance for far too long. Gallen played injured for too much of the season and so did Carney. We need to put the fittest side on the park, not the biggest names...and I really hope that the awful management at the back end of the season taught the coaching staff a lesson. Gallen doesn't need to play 80, especially with that knee...it f**ked him around the last few games of the season.

We have a great side for next year on paper, and plenty of depth...we just need to use it.

We rested guys like Gallen, Carney, Graham etc but had to rush them back because the boys were not standing up and went from 3rd to 7th and were a danger to miss the 8. We went what 2 and 9? Gallen missed about 2 months in the middle of the season.