What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does Firkin mean?

Spike

First Grade
It's a small wooden tub used for beer. It's also a measurement, there's about 7 1/2 gallons to a firkin. It's also a chain of english pubs who brew their own beer.

Anonymous

Juniors
Bailey is spot on.
The forum origins go back to Legends World of Sport (LWOS) when GavBT started a thread asking for some snazzy name for the 'social bar' section.

Gav being of Welsh extraction and living in Yorkshire, shared my notion that the 'Firkin' chain of British pubs was a good start.

These pubs go by various names with the name 'Firkin' always prominent as if to replace the word 'f**ken'. Thats the joke anyway. :D

I used to frequent the Firkin chain of pubs in GB during one of my visits there in the 90s. Their latin slogan 'biberandum ad mortum' (I think) adorned their coasters - it translated to: 'drink until you die'.

Anyway, Gav related to this totally and then named the section: 'The Firkin Fun Bar'.
The TFR version is the second in the forums chain.

Anonymous

Juniors
Chicken_Hunter said:
I actually thought it was 'f***ing' fun bar with firking being a funny way to say it... How wrong i was.
No you're not wrong. Read back. It was always a play on words and I'm sure that was the intention of the London/GB pub chain. I vaguely recall visting a pub near Holland Park called 'The Firkin Kings Head'. :D

Paranoid

Juniors
It is also a unit of currency used in some 17th century Bavarian States. 8 Firkins were equalivilant to 1 Neusch if I remember correctly !