What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Games Are You Playing?

Vic Mackey

Referee
I got Far Cry 5 classic edition when it was on sale for $5 a while back. I loved FC4&5 and had heard great things about this so was excited to play it.

Very under whelmed so far. I know people loved it when it first came out but it’s 8 years old now and is sooo dated. 4 & then particularly 5 have blown it away both graphics and then gameplay wise.

billygilmore

Juniors
3rd Test, end of day 2, India on top.

Oz2Sn8X.jpg

Starc and Paine walk off after the last over of play.

OVqLSUh.jpg

Summary at end of day 2.

Just come back to this thread, who won the series mate ?

Loving the updates, I used to get right into my cricket games when I was a kid, I used have a book where I would keep scores from the old super international cricket on the SNES, found the book recently, players had fully documented careers with tests, innings, not outs, runs, avg's, 50's, 100's, highest scores, to say I was obsessed would be an understatement haha

Eelectrica

Referee
Getting through some of my backlog.
Finished up Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Good game, a bit long. Kingdom management was awful. Would like to play it again and try out different builds, but the game length.
Wasteland 2. Finally finished this one as well. Another game that overstays its welcome.
Bards Tale 4. They made a good game and then buried it beneath a mountain of puzzles. Every once in a while the good game they made pokes its nose through.

Next up I'll try and get through Shadowrun Hong Kong. This game was buried under a mountain of dialogue. See how I go with this time. At least it's not overly long. Shadowrun Dragonfall was an amazing game though.

Also picked up BSG: Deadlock on a recent Steam sale so I'll check that out as well.

Eagerly awaiting a review

I have it for PC. In many respects Star Wars: Squadrons harks back to the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series of games from the mid-late 1990s. There is a single player story mode where you fight as a member of a Rebel squadron (Vanguard Squadron) or as a member of an Imperial squadron (Titan Squadron). All game play is in first person mode. The game is set just after the destruction of the second Death Star timeline wise.

Major difference say of this game to Starfighter Assault (SFA) in Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is that power management of your systems (i.e. Engines, shields (if it has them), and cannons) along with what components you equip your ships with that can make or break a successful mission. Further piloting is different as the ships don't "turn on a dime", you have to get your throttle settings correctly to make a good tight turn, and there are mechanics like "drifting" you can exploit.

The story mode gives you the base groundwork of the game, but there is a literally practice mode where you can jump in any ship and just zoom around to see how it handles.

As the name indicates though, "Squadrons" is what the game is designed around. There are 2 multiplayer modes - (1) Dog Fight (where its you in a squadron with 4 other real players going up against another squadron of 5 real players in a straight dog fight); and (2) Fleet Battles (where it is two squadrons of 5 players going up against each other with the objective being to shoot down the opposing team's Capital Ship). You can though go into a Fleet battle alone with 4 x NPC team mates against a full squad of NPC enemies.

Communication with your team mates (even your NPC ones), what mix of ships you have (e.g. Not a good idea to not have a support ship in your squad) and the morale of your group as you fight are important. You get positive morale by shooting down enemy player ships, or destroying corvette sized ships which can swing a fleet battle to you being on the offence.

Unlike in SFA, you do not have unlimited supplies of missiles/torpedoes/bombs nor counter measures so that is why the supply ship is important, cause otherwise if you run out of those things and no Supply Ships is in your squadron, you have to land on your home capital ship to resupply.

Your ship types to choose from are -

1. Fighter Class - X-Wing (Alliance) or TIE Fighter (Imperial);
2. Interceptor Class - A-Wing (Alliance) or TIE Interceptor (Imperial);
3. Bomber Class - Y-Wing (Alliance) or TIE Bomber (Imperial); and
4. Support Class - U-Wing (Alliance) or TIE Reaper (Imperial).

They are all slightly different as they have tried to balance them whilst noting certain lore about ships (e.g. TIEs not having shields).

So far I have found it enjoyable to play but there are a few issues. After launch it was discovered there are deadzones when using flight sticks, which no one anticipated. Also have been some reports of "tearing" due to incorrect refresh settings. Also there are some glitches with rankings in multi-player mode which need to be fixed. Additionally some people reckon the penalty from quitting a multi-p[layer game should only be applied to the quitting player/s and not the entire team (as it can undo all ranking progress in one fell swoop).

It has taken me some days just getting used to flying the ships properly using a mouse and keyboard. Now that my flight stick arrived I have to re-learn how to fly again due to the number of available controls.

Personally I'd give it a solid 7.5/10.

greenBV4

Bench
I have it for PC. In many respects Star Wars: Squadrons harks back to the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series of games from the mid-late 1990s. There is a single player story mode where you fight as a member of a Rebel squadron (Vanguard Squadron) or as a member of an Imperial squadron (Titan Squadron). All game play is in first person mode. The game is set just after the destruction of the second Death Star timeline wise.

Major difference say of this game to Starfighter Assault (SFA) in Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is that power management of your systems (i.e. Engines, shields (if it has them), and cannons) along with what components you equip your ships with that can make or break a successful mission. Further piloting is different as the ships don't "turn on a dime", you have to get your throttle settings correctly to make a good tight turn, and there are mechanics like "drifting" you can exploit.

The story mode gives you the base groundwork of the game, but there is a literally practice mode where you can jump in any ship and just zoom around to see how it handles.

As the name indicates though, "Squadrons" is what the game is designed around. There are 2 multiplayer modes - (1) Dog Fight (where its you in a squadron with 4 other real players going up against another squadron of 5 real players in a straight dog fight); and (2) Fleet Battles (where it is two squadrons of 5 players going up against each other with the objective being to shoot down the opposing team's Capital Ship). You can though go into a Fleet battle alone with 4 x NPC team mates against a full squad of NPC enemies.

Communication with your team mates (even your NPC ones), what mix of ships you have (e.g. Not a good idea to not have a support ship in your squad) and the morale of your group as you fight are important. You get positive morale by shooting down enemy player ships, or destroying corvette sized ships which can swing a fleet battle to you being on the offence.

Unlike in SFA, you do not have unlimited supplies of missiles/torpedoes/bombs nor counter measures so that is why the supply ship is important, cause otherwise if you run out of those things and no Supply Ships is in your squadron, you have to land on your home capital ship to resupply.

They are all slightly different as they have tried to balance them whilst noting certain lore about ships (e.g. TIEs not having shields).

So far I have found it enjoyable to play but there are a few issues. After launch it was discovered there are deadzones when using flight sticks, which no one anticipated. Also have been some reports of "tearing" due to incorrect refresh settings. Also there are some glitches with rankings in multi-player mode which need to be fixed. Additionally some people reckon the penalty from quitting a multi-p[layer game should only be applied to the quitting player/s and not the entire team (as it can undo all ranking progress in one fell swoop).

It has taken me some days just getting used to flying the ships properly using a mouse and keyboard. Now that my flight stick arrived I have to re-learn how to fly again due to the number of available controls.

great description!

I think it sounds fun, I've heard the controls are a bit like ace combat with a SW skin (I used to really enjoy those games), but I think this'll go into the "later when its cheaper" pile

im still playing through Avengers, never got round to finishing Odyssey DLC, am planning on getting Valhalla when it comes out, and lockdown has had me dabbling in warzone every now and then and considering Cold War (after not playing a cod game in YEARS)

ACTPanthers

Bench

Brilliant! Thanks for the awesome and detailed review brother - I really appreciate it

soc123_au

Staff member
Sorry brother I just saw this - I'm on a PS4
Do you play Gran Turismo Sport? If so I'd be keen for a race. My ID is soc123

That Star Wars game sounds the goods as well. I used to like the old Air Combat games, might have to give it a look.

great description!

I think it sounds fun, I've heard the controls are a bit like ace combat with a SW skin (I used to really enjoy those games), but I think this'll go into the "later when its cheaper" pile

im still playing through Avengers, never got round to finishing Odyssey DLC, am planning on getting Valhalla when it comes out, and lockdown has had me dabbling in warzone every now and then and considering Cold War (after not playing a cod game in YEARS)

Brilliant! Thanks for the awesome and detailed review brother - I really appreciate it

You are welcome. It is fun to play and yes there are a lot of parallels with ace combat. Cost wise it is not expensive to buy, it cost A$50 for the PC.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Tried that hit game Among Us... Did not like. Don't get the hype.

Been playing a variety of different things, once part of my gaming view is to play older 'classic' games that I may not have played, or completed.
Recently, I've finished off Half-Life, Half-Life Opposing Forces, Half-Life Blue Shift, Portal and Portal 2. I'll do Half-Life 2 soon.

I've also been a bit of Sea of Thieves, Phasmophobia, Golf It and Jurassic World Evolution.

Eelectrica

Referee
Wasteland 3 lately. I backed the game when it went through that phase. Figured I'd wait for a couple of updates before jumping in.
Early in the game so far, but I'd say they've nailed it.

Also been having a bit of a look at Baldurs Gate 3 in early access. I like what I see so far. Getting used to the 5e D&D rules keeps it interesting. I thought having played through Kingmaker recently it would be pretty much the same, but it's different enough.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Wasteland 3 is great. Got that old school fallout/x-com vibe going on.

Currently playing Grounded. Basically an open world survival version of Honey I shrunk the kids, in pre-release, but it's a great game. Lots to do (very little story so far), pretty creepy when spiders are chasing you.

Parra Pride

Coach
Watchdogs Legion

It's pretty fun.

Was keen to try this but from most reports it seems the PC release is pretty poorly optimized, will see if it get's any better later on if not I'll probably just give it a miss. Would be a shame though, I enjoyed the first two games and this one was looking like at least being some stupid fun.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Was keen to try this but from most reports it seems the PC release is pretty poorly optimized, will see if it get's any better later on if not I'll probably just give it a miss. Would be a shame though, I enjoyed the first two games and this one was looking like at least being some stupid fun.

It's not brilliant - the stealth mechanics, driving, and gun play are pretty basic.

But the ability to go up to almost anyone, and try to recruit them to your Ded Sec group (you can't recruit every NPC, but the majority of NPC's you see that aren't cops, or baddies, can be approached) is pretty cool.

It's a typical Ubisoft game - glitchy, but fun.

I'd probably give it a 7 out of 10 - it's a very interesting idea, but the gameplay can let it down at times.