What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to the pioneers?

Sjrugby

Juniors
First time poster long time reader

Question, what ever happened to the USARL pioneers, I thought the concept was to have them be a development select side team or a form of representatives

Would like to see the USARL become more active in playing more games around the country and begin laying the ground work of getting more people aware of League since we are now 6 years away from the WV. Play Mexico out west in California, or a select side from BCRL some where in the PNW, rugby union is growing fast and becoming very competitive I'm Oregon, Washington and Idaho. But yet underappreciated from USARU . Would be a good time to swoop in and begin testing the markets, many rugby fans just want to see some form of top rugby played some where in the PNW, I think the USARL could get a good size crowd of 5-6 k to show up for a game (if marketed fairly decent, )

Evil Homer

Staff member
Not sure the USARL have the funds or resources to do that type of expansion activity. IIRC the Pioneers team was self-funded and flying across the country to play exhibition matches would probably not be a very high priority for anyone. Maybe Moore Sports could get involved in this type of thing though in the run up to the WC, hopefully they will.

Golden point

Juniors
Well is seems as though people are a little bit frustrated with the lack of growth of recent in the USARL. I for one am happy that they are focused on sustainable development. They moved forward greatly with the teams in the south and this is an appropriate time for consolidation. Besides we never really know what they have up their sleeves because they only make announcement once genuine progress can be reported. We saw this with the comp in the south. We heard nothing until it was done and bang .three new teams!