What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Kidley has reached his peak?

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Is it possible that all Knights supporters were looking for a saviour to launch into the post-Johns era when it looked like Joe was certainly going and in doing so we got "over-excited" about Kidley thinking has was the man? Is it also possible that Kurt has reached the best he will EVER be? What if Kurt doesnt get any better and Joe suffers a major injury again next year? IMO Witt is not, and will never be, a first grade 5/8th. Also some of our forwards, M Kennedy and Andrew Price are below first gade standard. Perry was falsley elevated too early above his ability and he has become a plugger. Too much over-rated and over-priced player asset. Don,t tell me about the "great potential" coming from the lower grades- we dont have enough. Time to buy. That means time to free up funds. Goodbye Parson Tahu, M Kennedy, Quigley, Fitzgerald, O'Davis, B Kennedy etc. Use thid money to buy a QUALITY 5/8th and Centre. Perry, Price, Gidley, Carmont, Hall, Quinn pull your goddam fingers out!!!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Price, with the exception of this week, has been pretty good for us. He and Lowrie have stood out in a pretty depleted pack.

I agree that guys such as Witt, Perry, and Hall have been a little poor this year.

keeney

First Grade
hall has been good in smoe games and non existant in others, hes a good finisher, adn decent dummy half runner

Nuffy

Bench
I said last week that Kidleys game has plateaued.

I even suggested that the more games he plays the faster his value will fall. We can't keep making excuses for these guys, they have to aim up or we need to start being ruthless.

If Kidley was the 3rd highest priority in the club then we have got massive problems. Hes played 50 FG games and hes very much like Rudder, good one week in four.

Time for a serious rethink on all aspects of this club because otherwise we are heading down the toilet.

thuganomics

Coach
Well Nuffy,

What does Kurt have to work with, poor go foward and backs that drop the ball whenever they get the ball. He has a great short kicking game and a great kick chase game, but with Witt doing jackall, he has had to do all the work with just 50 1st grade games under his belt.

Earl

Coach
How much did Perry re-sign for last year?

About 250k to much if my memory serves me correctly.

In a depleted pack this guy has been as soft as butter. He has had the oppurtunity to really stamp his mark on the NRl this year.

Nuffy

Bench
I don't know what kicking game your talking about, the last few times I've seen him play his kicking game has been ordinary to say the least.

I guess what I've amazed at is that many people on this forum have talked Kidley up as the key to the knights future and more of a key signing than blokes like Tahu.

God, i've even seen blokes saying that we should resign him before Joey.

Simple answer is that his game is flaky, and hes shown plenty of promise but NO consistency.

Does his game get better each week?

thuganomics

Coach
Nuffy said:
I don't know what kicking game your talking about, the last few times I've seen him play his kicking game has been ordinary to say the least.

I guess what I've amazed at is that many people on this forum have talked Kidley up as the key to the knights future and more of a key signing than blokes like Tahu.

God, i've even seen blokes saying that we should resign him before Joey.

Simple answer is that his game is flaky, and hes shown plenty of promise but NO consistency.

Does his game get better each week?

Many aspects of his game does need help, but he will get those patched up when he becomes more experienced. Kidley has a great SHORT kicking game. His long kicking game is scrappy but he makes up for it with his kick chase. A great step and he can score tries and kick goals. He is a valuable player.

Alex28

Coach
i thought Kidley kicked OK tonight. it's OK to bag on him, but lets not forget the non-existent go forward from the forwards, no sign of a break from the backs, and absolutely no help at all from his 5/8.

he has made a few ordinary mistakes over the last few weeks that have lead to losses for the club. it is something he will learn from. but if he is going to be the $200K man, it's time he steps up, cuts such mistakes out of his game and becomes a better player week in, week out - not just when he has other rep players playing beside him.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Skaife was only cool when he was driving a Skyline...

I've always firmly held the belief that Kidley is not the savior, matter of fact, i always wondered how he even made the Knights team... In his younger days he couldn't even make the Glendale High team (apparently), and Glendale are shitty at football.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Nuffy,
It's seems to me that you really hate Kurt for some reason.

AS has been said if he has no good forward and a 5/8 that doesn't put it, then it's going to be much tougher for him. I have never said that he will be the saviour to our team, but he will continue to get better.
Do you not remember when Freddie was voted most over-rated player in the game???
Look how his career turned out.

K. Gidley is the best option we have at the moment.
We need to re-sign him for another 2 cause he needs time outside of Johns to learn how to run the team.
Maybe Country..SOO selection built his confidence but 3 straight losses have sapped it.

Still...we cant let him go

viva_la_bam

Juniors
how fickle rugby league fans can be, 4 weeks ago newcastle were proclaiming the new joey, now we are asking has kurt gidley reached as good as he is gonna be at age early 20-something lmao :lol: good one.

the halfback position of all positions at the best level is not one were you come in and dominate without your learning curve that will go up, down, plateau at various stages. it also doesn't help any nrl halfback in the competition johns inlcuded when your forward pack is playing like busted a$$'s not getting forward momentum.

is kurt gidley a halfback ? no. i believe his future is from fullback injecting himself into the line similar to the way lockyer did for the broncos when he was heralded as perhaps the best we had seen. keep in mind gidley carries the burden of the teams attacking fortunes on his shoulders with relaively no support from hiss outide men.

write kurt gidley off at your own choosing.....i think this kid will come back with the last laugh though.

Gidsgal

Juniors
bluesbreaker said:

I've always firmly held the belief that Kidley is not the savior, matter of fact, i always wondered how he even made the Knights team... In his younger days he couldn't even make the Glendale High team (apparently), and Glendale are shitty at football.

Skaifey is even cooler now, cause he is driving for not just the best Holden team, but the best team in the whole series.

I think Kurt is extremely talented and skilful, he made it into Country Orign, and also 18th man for sof 1!!! Why would they pick him for rep teams if he was such a shit player!!!

Alex28

Coach
Gidsgal said:
bluesbreaker said:

Skaifey is even cooler now, cause he is driving for not just the best Holden team, but the best team in the whole series.

er...you dont watch V8 supercars at all do you. he hasn't been in the best car for the last 18 months, and got lucky winning in 2002. he has successfully taken HRT to mediocrity and doesn't look like recovering from there anytime soon.

Gidsgal

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Gidsgal said:
bluesbreaker said:

er...you dont watch V8 supercars at all do you. he hasn't been in the best car for the last 18 months, and got lucky winning in 2002. he has successfully taken HRT to mediocrity and doesn't look like recovering from there anytime soon.

I do watch it mate, and if u haven't heard, Skaifey is on a comeback, he won race 1 yesterday, and I'm sure he will do just as great in todays two races!!!

Munky

Coach
I think Kurt has lost his stature as 'the next superstar' to Mathew Head. Head is excellent week in and out no matter what crap is playing alongside him.