What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is going on with CQ?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The other day I drove past the Western Suburbs Leagues Club in Bundaberg and noticed some bizarre signage....

CQ LEAGUES CLUB​

....quite prominently displayed all over the building. WTF?

I am a financial member of this quite inconspicuous club and didn't know jack shit about the change of business name. Seems that members weren't consulted about this change.

So did the CQ's NRL bid based in Rockhampton run off the rails? Considering that Wests Leagues was on the brink of going broke a couple of years ago, how would they ever manage a foray into the NRL?

Anyone enlighten me on this weird occurrence?

CQ Italia

Juniors
Heard back in October along the grapevine...

From what was said and rumored back than was the Bid are aiming to have/acquire bases in each of the major towns/cities - formerly Brothers in Rockhampton, Wests in Bundaberg, one in Central Highlands (can't remember what major town sorry), one club in Mackay etc. Basically clubs with potential.

Haven't seen any announcements, but may have been purchased or something could happen soon. I know apart of the CQ Leagues Club - Rockhampton, fundingand sponsorship still goes toward those league or general sports teams plus they have a point system for members and their nominated sports teams (form a specific list) and $$ goes toward that chosen club at the end of the year

Prometheus

Juniors
The other day I drove past the Western Suburbs Leagues Club in Bundaberg and noticed some bizarre signage....

CQ LEAGUES CLUB​

....quite prominently displayed all over the building. WTF?

I am a financial member of this quite inconspicuous club and didn't know jack shit about the change of business name. Seems that members weren't consulted about this change.

So did the CQ's NRL bid based in Rockhampton run off the rails? Considering that Wests Leagues was on the brink of going broke a couple of years ago, how would they ever manage a foray into the NRL?

Anyone enlighten me on this weird occurrence?

You're a member.

Just go in and ask them about it.

davi

Juniors
I've read today that former Queensland treasurer Terry Mackenroth has been appointed interim Chairman of the Central Queensland Capras as they are having financial challenges. I'm not sure if this would be impact on any expansion bid in Central Queensland in the future but it's probably hardly encouragement for the NRL to expand in Central Queensland.

League guru

Juniors
I've read today that former Queensland treasurer Terry Mackenroth has been appointed interim Chairman of the Central Queensland Capras as they are having financial challenges. I'm not sure if this would be impact on any expansion bid in Central Queensland in the future but it's probably hardly encouragement for the NRL to expand in Central Queensland.

This is an interesting one. When Murphy and his mates (Dennis Keefe) took over the Capras it was all about being professional, attracting sponsors, pathways etc. Now they are in financial trouble, as is the NRL bid club (former Brothers Club) which he also took over. He replaced Harbin with Hetherington as coach, another disaster decision. The Capras under his Chairmanship have gone backwards. All this from a bloke who wants an NRL licence.

davi

Juniors
Hard to know if this was just poor management, or Central Queensland is just not a viable for expansion team for the NRL. This article sheds a bit of light of whats going on.

"RUGBY LEAGUE: The Queensland Rugby League has committed $250,000 towards the CQ Capras survival. Now, community support is needed, more than ever.

Without it, the struggling club could cease to exist.

The grave but very real warning came from the QRL chairman Peter Betros this morning, urging the community to help keep their club alive.

Six weeks ago, the QRL became aware that the Capras were unable to meet their financial obligations. They stepped in and put up $250,000 to sustain the club.

"We were in danger of losing the side out of the competition," Mr Betros revealed.

"The model was unsustainable and in bringing forward a new governance model, that became obvious."

Capras chairman, Mr Geoff Murphy has chosen to step down.

"We think that the governance model didn't have enough input coming in from a business point of view. There wasn't enough community involvement from the junior and senior leagues but we are here to address that," Mr Betros added.

"We have put up funds but we can't continue with a broken model.

"The only way it will succeed here is for the community to get behind the Capras and get behind the new structure."

That new structure began immediately, with former Deputy Premier and current QRL director Mr Terry Mackenroth coming on board as interim chairman.

It is his job to help appoint a new board and drag the club out of the doldrums. It is a role he took on with the Northern Pride earlier this year with great success.

"My job here is do re-structure and work with the community to find a new board," Mr Mackenroth said.

"It costs a million dollars a year to run a team in this competition and while the QRL sponsors subsidises some of the cost, you need to raise money from the local community.

"I was the director of the Australian Rugby League and part of the group that put together the commission. We also negotiated the constitution and we want all our QRL clubs to move to this model."

Given the sheer size of the CQ catchment and its history of producing players of NRL calibre, the call to save the Capras was a must.

"The league nursery in CQ has always been great and we don't want to lose it. We can't afford to lose it," Mr Betros said.

"Rugby league is the DNA of Queenslanders here and you just have to look at the number of NRL and Origin players currently playing. We have to maintain that. It is a vital region for us.

"Hopefully we see a big improvement from the whole club and under the coaching of Kim Williams, on field too. We think there is a really bright future ahead but we can't do it alone."

Without the Capras, players like Corey Oates and Cameron Munster could be lost to the game.

Mr Betros said he had already received plenty of interest from locals about positions on the board and said the whole process would take about three months.

Added to the club's blossoming outlook was the upcoming announcement of an NRL club affiliation

He confirmed that clubs have expressed interest but could only hint that the announcement was days away."

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/the-250000-lifeline-that-saved-the-capras/3114648/

League guru

Juniors
The spiel about the sheer size of the CQ catchment area is a bit of a fallacy. Whilst the area is big geographically, it is small in the number of teams playing.

CQ is really only serviced by the 4 leagues. Rockhampon, Gladstone, Central West, & Central Highlands. None of which are particularly strong. Most of the upcoming talent is produced by the 3 schools, St. Brendans, TCC & Emmaus.

I don't believe that CQ has the population, finances and talent to support a NRL team in the current climate.

League guru

Juniors
Another interesting saga in the CQ NRL Bid saga. After taking over the Rockhampton Brothers Cub some years ago and renaming in the CQ NRL Bid Club, the culb has closed it's doors due to financial reasons. This follows hot on the heals of Geoff Murphys demise from the Capras and their financial issues, (a proposed link with the Titans supposedly in the winds).

So, with no club and no team, it may be time for Murphy to call time on his ill fated CQ NRL bid. All the original supporters, and name droppers, seem to have deserted the band wagon.

League guru

Juniors
There is no expansion, there are no expansion bids.
Well there are consortiums willing to apply. The NRL led them to believe there was expansion opportunities then shut the gate.

Unfortunately a lot of people have just wasted their, time, money and effort after being strung along by the NRL. No wonder the game is dying in local leagues.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
CQ should not be an NRL club anyway. This is what the QLD Cup is for. We do not need more small regional teams whilst there are big city markets sitting untapped.

Perth Red

Post Whore
CQ should not be an NRL club anyway. This is what the QLD Cup is for. We do not need more small regional teams whilst there are big city markets sitting untapped.

Everyone is entitled to a dream lol The sad thing was the way the NRL strung along the bid groups for years. As painful as it was at least Grant and Smith came out early on and said no expansion stop wasting your time and money.

Mind you Beattie has come in and started building false hope again.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
it seems the CQ NRL bid is finally finished. After the bid club closed it doors, now bid chairman Murphys business empire "JM Kelly Group" has gone into receivership. All the sprukers have long gone to ground.

TBH, I'm not surprised. It was a good dream, but a dream only. The region is too dispersed to accommodate a full-fledged NRL team there. It would have been good for the NRL to tell them early though that the area wasn't being looked at, or that they should throw their money behind an existing Q-Cup team, like the Capras, rather than invest it in a region-based NRL bid that had no identity. At least the Capras already have (had?) an established identity and pathways to a semi-pro league.