What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is our biggest issue?

biggest problem (within our control)

• Coaching

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Backline

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Pack

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Spine

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters

macavity

Referee
Of those four?

Personally:

From the four, coaching is the least of our worries. Wayne Bennett couldn't name it work here (although I think he is massively overrated, and can only win when he has all the advantages already in place). I think Brown is up against it and is doing about as well as could be expected.

Our backline has points in them. They also leak points. With some space they could do better, but they never have it.

Our pack is capable of holding their own, in fits and spurts. We don't have a game breaker or anyone capable of creating much. A close second as our "biggest problem"

For mine, the spine is the biggest problem of the four. We have next to zero creativity or impact. Our 1,6,7,9 is the worst in the comp by a LONG way. I think Levi will be a good player - in about 3 years time. I don't think they rest are ever going to do much - Mullo is made of glass and goes missing. Hodko has a low ceiling and has proven incapable of doing anything unless he is behind a dominating pack. Gagai can't tackle and while a decent winger, is a sub-par fullback with little to no creativity.

None of the fill ins have shown anything worthwhile. Lamb maybe in a few years.

Ergo, we need a half and a fullback. Holmes and Hastings would both be big upgrades on what we have.

Everything else depends on those positions being filled.

Burwood

Bench
With the amount of injuries we've had, it's hard to tell how the team would perform at full strength.

Personally, I'd like a much stronger pack. Give the opportunity for our young forwards to ease into first grade without getting monstered each week.

A strong pack also tightens up the ruck, which would hopefully stop our backs from having to make the decisions they do in defence once the opposition get a roll on and spread the ball. All you have to do is look at Uate this year- he isn't dropping bombs each week because the opposition no longer need to use that tactic. They just spread the ball and run their way to the try line.

mozza91

Coach
Option 5: Jake Mamo's haircut. Even more cringeworthy than any of our pissweak on-field performances.

perverse

Referee
Option 5: Jake Mamo's haircut. Even more cringeworthy than any of our pissweak on-field performances.

Not just our biggest issue, but the games biggest issue in general. Someone needs to sort it.

I'm hard pressed to see what our biggest issue is at this point, they're all huge. We have too much youth in the team to compete at present, even under optimal conditions. Kids this young drift in and out of games, and that's what we're seeing. I'd have to agree with mac that, if they have to be ranked, then our spine is the biggest issue, short and long term. The whole team also needs to learn how to defend, and how to stay in a match mentally for 80 minutes.

slotmachine

First Grade
Total lack of quality through the whole squad.

No game breakers, we haven't produced a legit rep player since gids unless you count akus purple patch.

Spot On

Coach
Of those four?

Personally:

From the four, coaching is the least of our worries. Wayne Bennett couldn't name it work here (although I think he is massively overrated, and can only win when he has all the advantages already in place). I think Brown is up against it and is doing about as well as could be expected.

Our backline has points in them. They also leak points. With some space they could do better, but they never have it.

Our pack is capable of holding their own, in fits and spurts. We don't have a game breaker or anyone capable of creating much. A close second as our "biggest problem"

For mine, the spine is the biggest problem of the four. We have next to zero creativity or impact. Our 1,6,7,9 is the worst in the comp by a LONG way. I think Levi will be a good player - in about 3 years time. I don't think they rest are ever going to do much - Mullo is made of glass and goes missing. Hodko has a low ceiling and has proven incapable of doing anything unless he is behind a dominating pack. Gagai can't tackle and while a decent winger, is a sub-par fullback with little to no creativity.

None of the fill ins have shown anything worthwhile. Lamb maybe in a few years.

Ergo, we need a half and a fullback. Holmes and Hastings would both be big upgrades on what we have.

Everything else depends on those positions being filled.

There's no doubting this.

No need to add to it as most of us know it. Levi will be a very good payer in the future. The other 3 are on (seriously) double what they are worth. Gagai is out of position and should be playing on the wing but would need to take a massive pay cut to do so. Newcastle doesn't need another 500K winger. He'll be gone to a bigger club sooner rather than later.

I'm happy with what Brown has done so far. Moving on the overpaid players has been long overdue.

I'm not against young blokes being thown in the deep end. Some believe it will ruin them. The strong will survive and hopefully we will keep them. Need not look any further than the twins.

As to who Brown has in mind to throw all the cash to???? Who effing knows. There just isn't a lot of outstanding plyers in the positions we are discussing to go around in my opinion. The quality drops of very quickly outside the top few player in each key position. Need only look at the NSW halves since Joey retired. We haven't had any decent ones in a DECADE!!!!!!!

macavity

Referee
Let me just be clear - I am talking about things we can actually look at fixing in the medium term, that are player/coach focussed. There is no point discussing the past, or indeed the ownership/tpa stuff, as we have absolutely no control over those areas (and yes, ownership/tpa stuff is THE biggest issue we are facing, but it isn't getting fixed an time soon).

Let me just be clear - I am talking about things we can actually look at fixing in the medium term, that are player/coach focussed. There is no point discussing the past, or indeed the ownership/tpa stuff, as we have absolutely no control over those areas (and yes, ownership/tpa stuff is THE biggest issue we are facing, but it isn't getting fixed an time soon).
You CAN fix poor management decisions in the past now. Or, at least learn from them and don't repeat them. That's the MOST important lesson the club needs to learn.
The thread fails to address the real issues.We are trying to do the best with what has been left to us and are clearly in the process of making positive changes - maybe sooner rather than later.

Whats Doing

Bench
It was interesting to see Sims performance for the Dragons. Yes he was playing prop which is not his normal position but he was blowing much more quickly in a short period of time than the other dragons middles which begs the question as to whether our fitness is up to par for an NRL side.

We have assumed that our blow outs in score lines is the result of inexperience (which is part and an obvious answer) but the question is whether this inexperience is also masking a lack of fitness which is compounding the drubbings we are getting but is being overlooked due to the obvious inexperience factor.

Spot On

Coach
That fitness theory, or lack of it, has been mentioned every year by forumites for a long time.

Surely they are fit enough.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Fitness is relative though

As a player gets older and plays more first grade games, their bodies become conditioned to the speed and impacts. Playing U20s or even NSW Cup doesnt fully prepare you and without that, young blokes can get fatigued. This is true of the mental side of things too

Seeing as our team is made up with a tonne of guys with 10 FG games or less, im not surprised they are fading both physically and mentally in games

Whats Doing

Bench
That fitness theory, or lack of it, has been mentioned every year by forumites for a long time.

Surely they are fit enough.

Yes but it appears this issue has not been resolved. They are clearly not aerobically or match hardened fit and we have a new coach who has not been in the NRL for a number of years.

Maybe Brownie needs to seek external expertise on current practices

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Sorry gents

I don't agree re lack of fitness or Brown not being up to speed.

I have read this theory year after year no matter who the coach has been. Remember, not so long ago, people were fawning over how fit Aku looked in preseason.

Remember, players always finish the pre season claiming it 'was the toughest ever'. ;-)

Of course the young blokes will be adapting to the game at the top level. That's a no brainer but the observation started with what someone saw from Tariq the other night. He aint new to the first grade. He just had a dig. He's not been used to that, has he.

Last edited:

newyboy

Juniors
im sure they are fit enough, just not good enough. it's a borderline nsw cup side in terms of talent.

We need athletes.

You can train an athlete to do most things pretty well.

All you need is a good dummy half and half back to steer them around.

Go to the USA and say to all the NFL cast offs, we will give you 250K a year to come to Australia and play a game.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Sorry gents

I don't agree re lack of fitness or Brown not being up to speed.

I have read this theory year after year no matter who the coach has been. Remember, not so long ago, people were fawning over how fit Aku looked in preseason.

Remember, players always finish the pre season claiming it 'was the toughest ever'. ;-)

Of course the young blokes will be adapting to the game at the top level. That's a no brainer but the observation started with what someone saw from Tariq the other night. He aint new to the first grade. He just had a dig. He's not been used to that, has he.

My opinion on Tariq is he is not a leader and the pressure to be at Newcastle lead to him plodding it up. Hes not expected to lead young guys at the Dragons nor was he expected to at the Cowboys. In Nth Qld he was one of the young guys needing an experienced forward leader

The guy just can't cut it with the extra responsibility. I see the same shit in the business world all the time