What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to bulk up?

Hey, how's it going? I am 16 years old and i am starting off-season training at the start of October. I am wanting to bulk up and gain muscle, but i'm not sure what is the best way to do it. Right now, i am 180cm tall and i weigh 60kg. I am aware that i may lose a bit of speed, but i am trying to maintain that. What is the best way to bulk up?

You won't lose speed if you do it right. In fact you should gain speed. I was faster last year at 115kg than I was at 80kg when I played rep rugby on the wing (U16s).

At 60kg/180cm you are definitely not within your optimal weight range for speed. Look at sprinters, they are hardly sticks.

Frailty

First Grade
It's about balancing your diet and workouts to favour lean muscle growth. There are plenty of resources online to find this information.

RHCP

Bench
Eat, then when you think you've eaten enough, eat some more. Pick a workout routine based around heavy compound lifts. Push for progression every workout. Those are the three most important things to keep in mind imo, especially the first one.

You probably won't lose speed, if anything you might gain some, you'll be heavier but you'll also be much more powerful. Akuila Uate (96kg, 187cm), Manu Vatuvei (112kg, 190cm) and Jarryd Hayne (102kg, 188cm) are speedsters and they're still big. Those numbers were just off a quick google search so not sure how accurate they are but the point is you can bulk up and still maintain your pace.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ceagle

Bench
You're 6 foot and only 60kg? I can't even imagine how skinny you are. At your age I recommend doing Starting Strength

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1

Follow everything that thread says and don't change it at all. Remember diet is more important then lifting, if you aren't eating enough calories, stop right now. Try and eat a lot of lean meats such as chicken breasts, eat eggs, nuts, milk etc. Maybe get a bulk protein shake, that will help you get the calories and protein into your diet much easier. Also try to avoid cardio if you can.

Anyway good luck.

You're 6 foot and only 60kg? I can't even imagine how skinny you are. At your age I recommend doing Starting Strength

Follow everything that thread says and don't change it at all. Remember diet is more important then lifting, if you aren't eating enough calories, stop right now. Try and eat a lot of lean meats such as chicken breasts, eat eggs, nuts, milk etc. Maybe get a bulk protein shake, that will help you get the calories and protein into your diet much easier. Also try to avoid cardio if you can.

Anyway good luck.

This. Except I disagree about the cardio part. There's a big stigma around that any small bit ov cardio you do is "catabolic". IMO you need a base level ov cardio to train hard. OP says he's in the offseason as well so I assume he needs cardio for whatever sport he's playing.

High school sports = too easy. Honestly, at the start ov the season everyone is extremely unfit, by the end ov the season it's not too bad. But then everyone sits on their arses all summer and it's back to square one. At least maintain your fitness over the offseason so you are getting fitter and fitter as the years go by. In high school rugby with the low standard ov fitness there is, the fitter you are the better you are, you will just run rings around everybody else, make the rep teams, get the best coaching etc. It's all in your hands how far you want to go.

Anyway good luck.

Cheers. Well, my weight goes up and down a lot. I'm not as skinny as you think, even though 60kg isn't much for somebody who is 6'0" tall.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Learn to squat properly, get under that bar and lift heavy 2 or 3 times a week and eat plenty of protein and carbs and you'll get there!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Won't lose speed if you do leg strength/power exercises as well as upper body.

You'll gain size/strength far more quickly too. The squat is the single most important exercise for gaining mass/strength, it utilises more muscles than any other lift and it uses the biggest, must powerful muscles in your body (quad, glutes, back)

GuardDog

Juniors
You'll gain size/strength far more quickly too. The squat is the single most important exercise for gaining mass/strength, it utilises more muscles than any other lift and it uses the biggest, must powerful muscles in your body (quad, glutes, back)

This plus heavy deadlifts on a different day to squats.Heavy standing military press,bent over rows and pull ups all give you good strength where it counts.Bench press is also usefull but dont go overboard with it like most trainers do.

macavity

Referee
This plus heavy deadlifts on a different day to squats.Heavy standing military press,bent over rows and pull ups all give you good strength where it counts.Bench press is also usefull but dont go overboard with it like most trainers do.

I can't do anything overhead (stuffed AC), any tips to replace military press? Currently do dumbell side and front raises, barbell vertical row and dumbell shrugs to hit shoulders.

I also can't go heavy (over about 50kg) on deads and don't have proper range of movement on proper squats (2 slipped discs). I still dead (just not heavy), and do mostly unweighted or front squats, focussing on form. Again, tips?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Yeah all good stuff too, deadlifts are my favourite lift personally, love the feeling after you've smashed out a set :)

GuardDog

Juniors
I can't do anything overhead (stuffed AC), any tips to replace military press? Currently do dumbell side and front raises, barbell vertical row and dumbell shrugs to hit shoulders.

I also can't go heavy (over about 50kg) on deads and don't have proper range of movement on proper squats (2 slipped discs). I still dead (just not heavy), and do mostly unweighted or front squats, focussing on form. Again, tips?
my suggestion would be to speak to a reputablt physio on how to train around limitations anything beats doing nothing

macavity

Referee
my suggestion would be to speak to a reputablt physio on how to train around limitations anything beats doing nothing

already have and am doing as he says - making some gains within my limitations.... was just interested in any further information :)

point taken though.

GuardDog

Juniors
already have and am doing as he says - making some gains within my limitations.... was just interested in any further information :)

point taken though.
great to hear you are making gains even with limitations of exercises you can do,a lot more respectable than those who use limitations as an excuse to be lazy then wonder why they are miserable and hate the world.
as for further info i have none as im not in the same league as the physio you consulted,.my knowledge in training has limits and i will admit that:)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
training 3 times a week, squatting and deadlifting every workout atm. will drop the deads back to alternate workouts soon though once by bung wrist has recovered enough to do power cleans. Compound lifts FTW!

Latest posts