What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the goal of the salary cap?

What is the purpose of the salary cap?

• Stop clubs spending themselves broke

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Make the comp even, spread the talent around

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im just reading the discussion of the TPA thread and i think most of the disagreement comes down to different beliefs about the purpose of the salary cap.

Im interested to see what the consensus is. For me, the salary cap is to stop clubs spending themselves broke; that was the reasoning when Quayle brought it in back it the 1990 (Im fairly sure he is even quoted as saying something along the lines of "TPAs are great. I just dont want clubs spending their OWN money")

But the modern interpritation is that the salary cap is meant to make all teams more or less equal (I think it was under Gallop that we started talking about the salary cap as a means of "spreading the talent")

So what does everyone think? Salary cap is for equality or just to stop clubs going broke.

I'm old enough to remember when the then NSWRL brought in the salary cap. It was stated at the time (namely 1990) that it was being brought in to stop clubs from sending themselves broken. Don't forget during the 1980s you'd had Newtown go broke, also Wests and Cronulla needed bailing out by the NSWRL to stay afloat.

It may have other effects such as potentially spreading the talent around, but you cannot say that exactly as some clubs have such bad administrations they cannot manage their cap properly and over pay certain players which stuffs up their club's talent pool.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL will claim to even out the comp, but we all know it is really to stop inept club management sending themselves broke in the quest for just one chance to have a photo lifting the premiership.

Murishido

Juniors
Salary caps are about wage control. The parity argument is one administrators use for public convenience.

I've never seen a study that suggests salary is the clear cut driver for employees decisions on where to work, it's important but so many things trump it.

One other aspect that always boils my blood is how juniors are apparently "stolen " on balance people will always accept less money to stay (we are change adverse) if juniors are leaving for its because you either didn't value them as highly as someone else or they'd rather the uncertainty of change than the certainty of your club.

Hell other leagues worry about teams deliberately losing to get better access to juniors and we treat them as some charitable curse.

Valheru

Coach
To give fans of the lesser clubs something to blame other than their own club's ineptitude.

they are a victim of circumstances.

"It just isn't fair"

Diesel

Referee
NSWRL brought in the salary cap. It was stated at the time (namely 1990) that it was being brought in to stop clubs from sending themselves broken.
Cronulla needed bailing out by the NSWRL to stay afloat.

Luckily Cronulla learnt from their mistakes in the 80’s

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Why shouldn’t the roosters be able to buy a pensioner one armed halfback when other clubs are able to sign superstars like Johnson,Dugan,Morris,Fifita,Graham, woods seumanufagai and Moylan without question? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Because they let Kurt dillon go

JamesRustle

First Grade
It's primary purpose is to have so much grey, that when the NRL conducts an audit, thorough examination of club servers and financial information will almost certainly allow them to deem any and every club will have breached for at least 1 season in any 3 year period.

This in turn gives the NRL power to force clubs to bend to their will, and when the inevitable fold/relocation is needed, the NRL can throw what ever club it decides on under the preverbial bus and blame poor club management.

Canard

Immortal
It was introduced for parity.

Not one official governing body of the game has ever stated it was "to stop Clubs going broke", that's just some LU delusion.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not one official governing body of the game has ever stated it was "to stop Clubs going broke", that's just some LU delusion.

lol you'd be pretty naive to think it wasn't also to protect the clubs from themselves.

Reality is NRL doesn't care that much if 3 or 4 clubs dominant the comp, eventually things change in any comp. In fact there is something to be said for the profile and glamour of having super star teams every now and again. Look at how dominant teams of the past are lauded now.

what it does care about is being able to fulfill its obligations by having 16 viable clubs operating and not look like a chump comp with clubs going broke left right and centre. Having realised that it wasnt working they then decided to bring in even more controls with a football cap.

siv

First Grade

You need to open up a few 1990 RLW magazines with direct quotes from John Quayle - which say exactly that

One of the quotes from the SL war was around paying players more after Canberra blew the cap in the early 1990s without penalty

Canard

Immortal
You need to open up a few 1990 RLW magazines with direct quotes from John Quayle - which say exactly that

One of the quotes from the SL war was around paying players more after Canberra blew the cap in the early 1990s without penalty

Happy for you to provide quotes.

Latest posts