What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the name of the older commentator with glasses on saturday 2pm?

mightybears

Bench
1.ABC Sport’s Gerry Collins
2. former St George, Wests & Balmain player Warren Boland
3. ex QLD and Aust representative David Wright.
4. Quentin Hull, ABC journo

are the only 4 who get a gig regularily

oz_bat

Juniors
The four today were John McCoy, David Wright, Tony Currie and Gavin Payne. I think it may be Gavin Payne you are talking about.

Keen4Green

Juniors
David Wright - David has been commentating rugby league for 30 years and is an ex-international who played for Brothers club in Brisbane. He also had one year with English club Warrington, winning the Wembley Challenge Cup Final. David has coached various rugby league teams including an undefeated premiership. He loves his footy and loves commentating on the Queensland Cup.
Away from the media, David is the General Manager (on behalf of Queensland Motorways) of the Gateway Upgrade Project which includes duplication of Brisbane’s Gateway Bridge and upgrade of 20km of motorway.

P.S. Hey Cap, who would the Gulls rather play in week one of the finals ? Burleigh or the Fins

Seagullsrock

Juniors
David Wright - David has been commentating rugby league for 30 years and is an ex-international who played for Brothers club in Brisbane. He also had one year with English club Warrington, winning the Wembley Challenge Cup Final. David has coached various rugby league teams including an undefeated premiership. He loves his footy and loves commentating on the Queensland Cup.
Away from the media, David is the General Manager (on behalf of Queensland Motorways) of the Gateway Upgrade Project which includes duplication of Brisbane’s Gateway Bridge and upgrade of 20km of motorway.

P.S. Hey Cap, who would the Gulls rather play in week one of the finals ? Burleigh or the Fins

Playing the Fins at Home. Definitely the preferred result the way Reddy have been playing lately.

rwaite

Juniors
The four today were John McCoy, David Wright, Tony Currie and Gavin Payne. I think it may be Gavin Payne you are talking about.

Does anyone know what John McCoy is doing today? He was a great commentator back in the 80's and I miss the days of Bill J Smith and Mick "Framer" Vievers.

Titanic

First Grade
David Wright, best known for his beating up of a 10 pound dripping wet Greg Oliphant in a club game - softest prop of that era - reasonable commentator though.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Does anyone know what John McCoy is doing today? He was a great commentator back in the 80's and I miss the days of Bill J Smith and Mick "Framer" Vievers.

John McCoy host TAB Sportsbet Breakfast on 4TAB radio, broadcast across Qld, NT and SA. The program used to be fantastic when hosted by Mark Forbes but has now turned to sh*t as the focus has shifted strongly to aussie rules. McCoy has rolled over to an obviously afl focused producer of the show and now co-host Richard Champion. The show includes more coverage an chit-chat of SANFL and WAFL related topics than NRL.

A disgrace considering it is broadcast out of Brisbane.

Titanic

First Grade
Yes mate ... I still tune in via the 'net from time to time but have lost interest over more recent years ... I was putting it down to age (and distance I suppose) but your comments echo my sentiments.

My father lectured me often in his waning years that "loyalty" was in danger of disappearing from the Oxford Dictionary and although I was happy enough to debate the positive changes that professionalism has brought to sport [read rugby league] doesn't mean that the whoring going on these days sits comfortably.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
John McCoy host TAB Sportsbet Breakfast on 4TAB radio, broadcast across Qld, NT and SA. The program used to be fantastic when hosted by Mark Forbes but has now turned to sh*t as the focus has shifted strongly to aussie rules. McCoy has rolled over to an obviously afl focused producer of the show and now co-host Richard Champion. The show includes more coverage an chit-chat of SANFL and WAFL related topics than NRL.

A disgrace considering it is broadcast out of Brisbane.

The irony is; Forbes was originally from SA. I've heard he had a vision for the show to be more like the BSB in Sydney (taking talkback on issues, more interesting interviews), but his ideas were frowned upon.

I agree that John McCoy is extremely disappointing, considering he used to be the voice of the Brisbane Rugby League.

This 4TAB show would, without doubt, be the most lame sporting show on radio in Australia. McCoy has no real passion for RL it seems. He fooled me good for many years.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I agree that John McCoy is extremely disappointing, considering he used to be the voice of the Brisbane Rugby League.

McCoy has no real passion for RL it seems. He fooled me good for many years.

McCoy has always gone with what's fashionable at the time for his own benefit. He was a Union man from his school days, became a Brisbane League "expert" when it was big, dropped it cold when the Broncos started, has flirted with AFL as it has grown and feigns interest in the Queensland Cup when filling in on the ABC is the best gig he can get these days.

undertaker

Coach
McCoy has always gone with what's fashionable at the time for his own benefit. He was a Union man from his school days, became a Brisbane League "expert" when it was big, dropped it cold when the Broncos started, has flirted with AFL as it has grown and feigns interest in the Queensland Cup when filling in on the ABC is the best gig he can get these days.

McCoy used to call NRL matches for Fox Sports (mainly involving North QLD Cowboys, and would normally be partnered alongside Wally Lewis) until he was replaced by Andy Raymond as caller at the end of 2002. First time I remember hearing McCoy was in '98 when the Knights played in Townsville and thought McCoy was calling a Saturday night rodeo, such as this:

On the other hand, Greg Clark is an interesting case: I remember he started calling Warriors away games in '96, before becoming the head of Fox Sports RL commentary during 1997-2000 and then went to call Union matches afterwards and has done so ever since.