What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is win32?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Every time I shut down my pc this pops up and I have to click on OK.

What is it??

win32.jpg

Justme

Juniors
Win32 is the 32 bit code kernel that Windows 95 and 98 loads to run 32 bit programs in virtual segmented memory and WinXP uses it for backwards compatability of old games. The error you are getting on shutdown is usually associated with a device driver that is not unloading correctly, most often caused by removing hardware without uninstalling the supporting software properly.

Have you removed anything from your PC recently?

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's been happening for quite a while (6 months +) and I have probably removed quite a few progs in that time. It doesn't seem to harm anything it's just I have no idea what it meant.

BTW, I still use Windows 98se. I'll have to buy two new pc's to upgrade to XP.

Justme

Juniors
El Duque said:
It's been happening for quite a while (6 months +) and I have probably removed quite a few progs in that time. It doesn't seem to harm anything it's just I have no idea what it meant.

BTW, I still use Windows 98se. I'll have to buy two new pc's to upgrade to XP.

Figured you were running 98 El :roll:

It is a program that is running in the background that is not unloading. You may find it by starting 98 with the boot text option, available by presing the F8 key when 98 starts to load, which records the loading and unloading of all drivers. You need to start up and then shutdown and reboot again to then open the file "Boot.txt" on the C: drive in Notepad and near the very end of it you will see an entry with FAIL against a driver or program. If you find it you need to disable it. The other way is to type "msconfig" at the run command. This will show you all the drivers and programs 98 is starting automatically. You need to go to the last tab page and go through all the drivers and programs listed there and find the ones you don't recognise or know have been removed. You can uncheck the box to disable the driver and then reboot to see if it fixes it. If it does then leave it disabled if not renable it and try another one. It's pretty much a case of trial and error unless you know a bit about computers.

Justme

Juniors
El Duque said:
I think I'll leave it as it took me 30 minutes to fix up something I stuffed up. lol

It does help to know what it is your disabling I s'pose :roll:
If it doesn't bother you then just leave it if it does then post what is listed in msconfig and maybe I can help you identify everything.

El Diablo

Post Whore
there was only one thing in msconfig I didn't know what was but soon found out after restarting, lol

justme, thanks for the help but I'm always scared to tinker as I usually stuff things up and seeing it only seems to pop up on shut down I might jut live with it. I was hoping it would be an easy prob for a novice like me to fix.

Cheers