What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What number to retire 8 or 24.

Choppies

Coach
I have been thinking about this while waiting for a delayed flight. When the Lakers retire Bryant's number what will they retire? 8 or 24?
Personally I think they should retire both as both represent 2 different Kobe eras with the Lakers. The first his 3 peat and younger years and the 2nd is really the championship and possibly more that Kobe built.
Thoughts?

Ridders

Coach
Yeah you put that pretty well. Each number represents a different phase of his career. I think in the end they will just retire No.24. Kobe probably values his post-Shaq accomplishments moreso than his achievements with O'Neal.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
It's either retire both or number 8 - at this stage. If he wins another ring or two in 24 then you can make a case that it should be 24 but until then, he's achieved considerably more in 8 than in 24.

McLovin

Staff member
It depends on the success he has. If he can accomplish more wearing 24, it'll be that...but right now, its 8...They wont retire 2 jerseys...

Choppies

Coach
I think they will actually. He has had huge success wearing 8 and I think he will win at least 3 in 24. Also as far as I know there are no superstars that have worn more than one number apart from Jordan in 45 for a short time.

Mr Saab

Referee
I think they will actually. He has had huge success wearing 8 and I think he will win at least 3 in 24. Also as far as I know there are no superstars that have worn more than one number apart from Jordan in 45 for a short time.

When playing for the same team?

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Amare Stoudemire went from 32 to 1 a couple years back.

Shaq has changed number nearly every stop (32 at Magic, Heat & Suns, 34 at Lakers and 33 at Cavs), but not during his time with a team.

Artest changes his number just about every stop I think.

Last edited:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
And you're only allowed to change number with your current team after serving four or five years I think. That's why it's fairly uncommon.

Special K

Coach
T-Mac changed to 3, JR Smith changed to give Billups his number... Iggy did the same for Webber.. Players sometimes buy each others numbers

but LA should retire both..

Choppies

Coach
Sorry. I realise players change numbers change numbers from time to time but Saab picked it up. I forgot to mention superstars on one team.

El Coconuto

Bench
Chicago didn't retire both 23 and 45, despite Jordan's cameo in the number. The Lakers will only retire one number (heaven forbid that Kobe will have two jersey's hanging from the rafters when the likes of Magic, Kareem, Wilt, West and co have one) and I'd be willing to bet it's number 8. Regardless of whatever accolades Kobe accomplishes wearing 24; he is the 24 he is because of the lessons learned whilst wearing number 8 - for better and worse.

attamarrap

Juniors
do u think they will retire his jersey? :p i would think 24 because that will be the jersey he will be wearing when he actually retires no way they will retire both they are running out of numbers

Latest posts