What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Phrases and Words Make You See Red?

MCMLXVI

Juniors
I hate the phrase Are you OK ?

No, I'm not if it's any of your business.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lounge room has been refurbished to suit the needs of the game and its guests can choose from two different types of activities to suit each individual

Stay Safe! FMD! WTF is that? That's rhetorical. I know where it came from and what it refers to and the next person who says it to my face might find themselves in an extremely unsafe situation.
If you're one of these people you are a parrot and a puppet.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I metaphorically explode when people use "literally" in the wrong context
"Literally" in the so-called 'wrong' context was used by Charles Dickens (he had literally feasted his eyes), Jane Austen (when we had been literally rocked in our bed), James Joyce (literally knocking everything else into a cocked hat), F Scott Fitzgerald (He literally glowed) and Mark Twain (Tom was literally rolling in wealth), to name a few.

Using "literally" this way was perfectly OK for centuries. Looks like it only changed relatively recently... presumably when a self appointed grammar cop decided otherwise, for everyone else.

Someone wrote about it, quite literally.

...the word literally has been used as a hyperbole or intensifier for at least three centuries, with its earliest figurative use dating back to 1769.

Latest posts