What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Phrases and Words Make You See Red?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Oh f**k....I'm being haunted.

Just having a music night to myself playing songs I haven't for a while and played Edie Brickell's "What I am".

She sung "Do you know what I mean?" at least five times in the first half of the song.

Time to top myself unless Caro Emerald can save me.

OVP

Coach
it can be spelt either way

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt wrong again.

http://writingexplained.org/noone-or-no-one-difference

When to Use Noone
is-noone-a-word.png
What does noone mean?
No one cannot be shortened to a single word. It must always appear as two words. Noone is an error, even though many similar constructions exist in English, like any one and anyone, every one and everyone, and some one and someone. No one cannot be combined into noone by extension of the same rule.

The reason being, among others, is that the double O is clumsy, as it approximates the double vowel oo, which is a separate phoneme in English. In other words, noone looks like it should be pronounced like noon. Since that’s not the case, it’s better to leave this term separated into two words.

OVP

Coach
People who say "at the end of the day"

f**k off.

People who don't know the difference between his and he's. He's means "he is". If you can't work out the difference then may i suggest you f**k off too ?

alien

Referee
Bzzzzzzzzzzzt wrong again.

http://writingexplained.org/noone-or-no-one-difference

When to Use Noone
is-noone-a-word.png
What does noone mean?
No one cannot be shortened to a single word. It must always appear as two words. Noone is an error, even though many similar constructions exist in English, like any one and anyone, every one and everyone, and some one and someone. No one cannot be combined into noone by extension of the same rule.

The reason being, among others, is that the double O is clumsy, as it approximates the double vowel oo, which is a separate phoneme in English. In other words, noone looks like it should be pronounced like noon. Since that’s not the case, it’s better to leave this term separated into two words.

:eek: I remember both ways being acceptable! The damn "Mandela Effect" changing things! :D

Ok this doesn't anger me but "maybe, just maybe". The "just maybe" part isn't needed and just sounds silly!

Life's Good

Coach
People who say "at the end of the day"

f**k off.

People who don't know the difference between his and he's. He's means "he is". If you can't work out the difference then may i suggest you f**k off too ?
Totally agree. Can I add the following:
Then & than
Off & of
Not the end of the world but how the f*ck do people confuse the above.

Reactions: OVP

Nuke

Staff member
I dislike immensely American spelling of words, and their words for objects that are falling into general use in Australia.

Example 1: The 'z' in words such as realize ... it should be an 's'.
Example 2: The word 'cookies' and 'cell phone' coming into more popular usage here instead of biscuits and mobile phone. The biscuits / cookies one in particular irks me.

Then there are the younger generations' versions of words that don't belong in context, such as 'defiantly' (being used instead of 'definitely'), and 'could of' instead of 'could've' / 'could have'.

The obvious ones that you see people bringing up all the time, such as the to/too/two, they're/their/there, where/were, ect.

... And don't get me started on words / terms like 'on fleek', 'bae', and heavens knows what else the kids say these days!!

I genuinely fear for the English language in future generations.
(How old do I sound?!)

DiegoNT

First Grade
I've always wondered about people who get so caught up on grammatical errors. I rarely notice errors in people's writing, or even in my own ( grammar nazis must hate me. I have so many typos and errors saved onto my phones auto-correct and have never gotten around to fixing it). When most people read, they read a string of words or even complete sentences at the same time. So when there's a mistake or typo our brains have already seen what context it is in and corrects it for us in in the processing part of reading. It's why most people probably didn't noticed me wrote the word 'in' twice back to back in the last sentence. So when people get caught up in minor grammatical errors i always wonder if maybe their brain isn't fast enough to fix the errors in context in processing the words, or if they are only capable of reading 1 word at a time

Scorpio30

Bench
I dislike immensely American spelling of words, and their words for objects that are falling into general use in Australia.

Example 2: The word 'cookies' and 'cell phone' coming into more popular usage here instead of biscuits and mobile phone. The biscuits / cookies one in particular irks me.

Then there are the younger generations' versions of words that don't belong in context, such as 'defiantly' (being used instead of 'definitely'), and 'could of' instead of 'could've' / 'could have'.

The obvious ones that you see people bringing up all the time, such as the to/too/two, they're/their/there, where/were, ect.

... And don't get me started on words / terms like 'on fleek', 'bae', and heavens knows what else the kids say these days!!

(How old do I sound?!)

A youngster said "sweater" instead of "sweatshirt" at work today...

Life's Good

Coach

(How old do I sound?!)
What about those who use ect instead of etc.