What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should Roosters' Minichiello replacement plan be? Ferguson or Tedesco?

Team tyro Anthony Minichiello is likely to retire at the end of this year. Sonny Bill WIlliams is leaving for rugby union. The club will have a lot of money to spend on a top quality new player for 2015.

Roosters first have to think of a replacement strategy for Minichiello. Right now they are considering two options:

Option 1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to full back (his preferred position), Blake Ferguson at centre, Shaun Kenny-Dowell to the wing.

Option 2. James Tedesco to full back, keep RTS on the wing and SKD in the centres.

We may not have a choice because Canterbury-Bankstown is chasing Tedesco and South Sydney is chasing Ferguson, and they both have money to burn, having lost Barba and Burgess respectively.

Personally I prefer option 1, even though Ferguson is an off field risk. RTS at full back will light up the NRL as will having Ferguson alongside Jennings as the most potent centre pairing in the NRL.

What do you think about the two options?

Last edited:

RichieB

Juniors
It's easy to slot people in, in forums like Tedesco for RTS but the consequences are that if RTS doesn't get the FB spot, then we run the risk of losing him to another club. Are we willing to bring in someone else who 'might' be good when we know what RTS has already done for us?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Why do we need to buy from the outside? I'm happy with RTS at fullback, and a youngster on the wing

This! Why not promote from within. Sheck to FB and young guns like Nene McDonald to get a chance. We have POS working for us so why not use what he's brought to the club first.

Fergo can get f**ked! Don't want him near our club regardless of talent. He'll f**k up again.

Parkway_Drive

Juniors
I really don't think Tedesco will want to play centre/wing and I thought Roger wants to play fullback. I am a fan of Tedesco but it will be an odd fit.

Fergo, no way!!!! I would prefer to get one of the young outside banks in our ranks, but from what I have heard they are still quite a way off first grade standard apart from young Milne who is currently injured.

What about RTS to Fullback and pick up a winger like Noafaluma? Who I believe is off contract at the end of the season (correct me if I am wrong) and would cost less.

adamkungl

Immortal
Don't forget about Tautau Moga.. bad luck with injuries but he's good enough to play first grade. He's never had a chance to have a shot under Robbo and he might bring a lot to the table.

Ferguson can f**k right off.

Parkway_Drive

Juniors
Don't forget about Tautau Moga.. bad luck with injuries but he's good enough to play first grade. He's never had a chance to have a shot under Robbo and he might bring a lot to the table.

Ferguson can f**k right off.

I forgot about Moga. Apparently he is not far away from making a return to the field possibly next month I have read. Hopefully his knees will hold up and starts regaining his confidence playing in the lower grades.

Touch wood he might see some first grade mid season during the Origin period or if an injury hits our outside backs.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Someone said Moga is about 4-5 weeks away. I would even be comfortable should he be good enough, to move SKiD to the wing and Moga to the centres.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Moga will have to earn his spot..

He was extremely lazy in defence when he last played..

I doubt Robbo will risk him until he proves he can defend laterally..

SKD is a club legend who is entitled to finish his career with the club..

Chook

First Grade
Tedesco is a massive talent but would be a waste of cap space unless he plays fullback where we have a similarly massive talent in waiting RTS.

Why he's linked to us is confusing as we don't need a young gun fullback.

Fergo would replace SKD if he was coming but that won't happen till after he's served his time.

Chook.

If anyone watched The Footy Show on Sunday, all and sundry said (including Jame Hooper of the Tele) that any talk between the Roosters and Tedesco never went very far at all. It just ain't happening.

As to Ferguson? Whilst Brian Canavan is there, there is 0% chance of this happening unless Fergus shows a BIG turn around in his off field demeanour and behaviour.

RTS will be Mini's successor at fullback whilst there are a few options to fill the then vacant wing spot. If he makes a successful return from injury, I dare say Moga will get first crack at it.