What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What signing will be the biggest flop 2022

Biggest Flop

• Adam Reynolds

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Kurt Capewell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Josh Addo-Carr

• TPJ

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Matt Burton

• Nico Hynes

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Dane Gagai

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Chad Townsend

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • George Burgess

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Moses MBye

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Moses Suli

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Shaun Johnson

• Jackson Hastings

• Tyrone Peachey

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Thats hard and as people say there are plenty that will duds that are not mentioned.
The unfortunate things for some of these players is it won't necessarily be their fault.

Diesel

Coach
I think a few on that list will struggle and a few are expected to turn a whole team around by themselves, such as Chad and Reynolds which is unrealistic in a team sport. Others will perform as well as they did at their last club but I don’t think any will be huge breakout stars.

collectively, I think the Dogs will struggle because of the coach

gerg

Juniors
I think you can throw Finucane on the list too. He's been a pretty good lock for a few years but I'm not sure V'landysball suits him and those injuries are catching up with him. Not quite at Chad or Mbye levels though.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I suppose it depends on who comes with the big expectations. The 5 biggest transfers would be:

Reynolds, Hynes, Burton, JAC, Finnucane and I think most are a chance at turning into poor buys

Reynolds: Will likley do what he did well at Souths, kick well and control the team around the park. Has never been a play maker or ball runner, if Brisbane can set up systems that allow him to do they'll be fine. If they expect him to be a dominant play making half both parties are in for a rough three years

Hynes: Made his name as a fullback and has now been signed to be the 7 of a team that has beaten what, 1 top 8 side in 3 years? Big worry for mine

Burton: Has gone ok at 5/8 and good on him for backing himself at a lower team. Going to have very average 1/7/9 with him. Needs to show more then just a left foot step back inside because teams will wake up to that soon. I havent seen much to say he isnt Blake Austin Mk II. Definite concern

JAC: ON the field he'll be fine, my worry with him is what happens off it. Has openly said getting out of Sydney made him the player he is today. If you follow him on insta the guys has suddenly started acting like he's Connor McGregor off the field, never once saw him post like this at the Storm

Finnucane: Yeah he'll be a pro off the field but last year he looked like a bloke who had hit a wall. He was terrible in Origin and didnt make a dint in the Panthers pack in the Prelim. He wont be taking a hitup after Bromwich and NAS like he has for the last 5 years and is apparently going to play prop. This has James Tamou to the Tigers and James Graham to the Dragons written all over it.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Shaun Johnson.

I think there is an element of the Warriors fanbase who are quietly hoping for a "prodigal son returns" moment to lift them a bit but I just can't see it happening. If Johnson couldn't shine at Cronulla, who have been much better placed in the big picture the last few years compared to the Warriors at least, he isn't going to be weaving any miracles with that roster around him.

nick87

Coach
If they play him at fullback, JAC would be by tip

Burton is a real sneaky one for me, i think he's an awesome player, he's such a good and complete centre. He seems like a good kid who will work really hard but i dont think he was very impressive in the games he played in the halves.

Ultimately my pick is Reynolds. Good player coming into a bad situation, mostly a bad team, with a terrible coach, and a ton of expectations. I dont think he's good enough (or anyone is) good enough to be the rising tide that lifts all boats there.

JAC: ON the field he'll be fine, my worry with him is what happens off it. Has openly said getting out of Sydney made him the player he is today. If you follow him on insta the guys has suddenly started acting like he's Connor McGregor off the field, never once saw him post like this at the Storm

LOL @ The Fendi jersey. A lot of modern NRL players are such f**kin try-hards.

Someguy

First Grade
Mbye is clearly the worst buy but not sure why he is on this list, can’t be a flop at such low expectations. I voted nicho hynes he looked like a product of a system and is heading to a club with a very different style of play

Also I vote Ryan James for the surprisingly good signing

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
Nicho Hynes & Burton are the one's I'm most interested in seeing. Most as risk of flopping as they are unknown quantities in their new positions. But both really talented players so expectations are high.

Everyone else on that list you pretty much know what you are going to get from them by now. JAC won't score as many as he did at Melbourne- but it won't be because he's suddenly not a good winger.

The Chad, Mbye & Reynolds will do their thing, at the level they do it at (Reynolds quite effective, the Chad is drastically overpaid but will just be steady as usual, Mbye is a bit crap).

SJ will be injured a lot- but do some good things when he does play. Suli will be a bit crap in defence.

I actually think TPJ might do well.

Should call it the "Greg Smith Awards"

images

blaza88z

Coach
Reynolds would have to get injured to be considered a bad buy, he's been bought to be the guy who kicks the ball and controls the team in general play and that's basically all he has done his entire career and done it consistently and as good as anyone else in the NRL for a long time now.

We have threats across the field, the trouble for us though for some time now has been being able to build pressure through our kicks, shouldn't be an issue with Reynolds in the side. Kevvie has bought well, he's building a culture that has competition for spots instead of having to throw young kids out there and relying on them to fire from game 1, which is how it was under Seibold's watch.

Wizardman

First Grade
I picked Reynolds. I think in the side that he is in, he'll pick up a lot of injuries and not have the same protection he got at Souths. He is a player that seem to be stuck together by sticky tape. The money he is on warrants someone who will be on the park most of the year. I think he'll have a difficult year.