What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what u did on the hill @ penrith park with your mates

Fibroman

First Grade
About 1981, drinking cooking cherry, smoking bumpers and reading/(looking at) Rybald and Mayfair. Ps. and watching the footy.
:crazy:

Doomednow

Bench
Mouthing off and generally being a huge twat. Baiting a Bulldogs supporter (very lucky to not get punched there) and asking in my loudest voice if the game was "fistf**king" me in a packed stadium when Parra made an epic comeback (circa 2008 ish).

Not proud of these things, but they were fun.

soc123_au

Staff member
At the time Fibro was into the cooking sherry I would have been looking for bits of cardboard to sit on & slide down the back of the hill. I also recall the first time I discovered a ribald mag was one that had been discarded at Penrith Park. Cheers for that Fibro, I wasn't sure I knew what I was looking at, but I knew I liked it.

Reactions: ODC

franklin2323

Immortal
My hill memories always involved a footy and 90% of the time led to injuries. Hill footy retirement was brought on by the hot chicks deciding to sit on the hill..... Oh and hitting someone in the head whilist they were carrying a tray of beers.

YoungPanther

Juniors
The old chochie soldier days. My fondest memroy is running onto the field at full time and seeing who could nab the corner post, follwed by a game of "touch".

I also thought Matt Goodwin was king, those long flowing locks always looked really cool, especialy as the mullet was the only hairstyle to have at the time.

I am straight, not that there is anything wrong with that.

betcats

Referee
What exactly is " cooking sherry" boys?

Never experienced it personally but Sherry is a type of wine so im guessing "cooking Sherry" is a cheap for of Sherry used in cooking.

I imagine it is a step or two above drinking mouthwash.

broncos2010

Juniors
Never experienced it personally but Sherry is a type of wine so im guessing "cooking Sherry" is a cheap for of Sherry used in cooking.

Oh yeah I get it now, I don't drink at all trying to keep my liver healthy as I can so I can live a long time to see many broncos premiership in my lifetime.

GongPanther

Referee
Sweet Sherry is made by McWilliams.

Winos used to buy it for the cheap booze that it was.About 80 cents a bottle in the 70's.

Between the early 70's to the early 80's,Brandavino used to be a popular bottled drink.

It is generally a mixer,and if you weren't too much into the drinking like we were in those days,it got you by for the night.

Going a little off-topic,In the olden days,pubs had ladies lounges which were segregated from the men's drinking bars.

Women in those days mostly drank Wine,Sherries and other fortified wines rather then beer.

The reason for the segregation was that in those days,the main bars of pubs tended to be noisy smoky and often at times,pretty wild places that were no place for a woman although some women still drank in the mens bars for one reason or another.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
Ahhhh that's better

what%20u%20did%20on%20the%20hill%20@%20penrith%20park%20with%20your%20mates%20-%20The%20Front%20Row%20Forum%20%20R_2015-02-19_15-47-04.png

Pomoz

Bench

Well, you imagine wrong. It is worse than mouthwash

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
I remember talking to a old Panther fan many years ago who told me that you use to be able to drive your car onto the hill and watch the footy from the car. Anyone comfirm this ( we both had a skin full ).

murraymob

First Grade
I remember talking to a old Panther fan many years ago who told me that you use to be able to drive your car onto the hill and watch the footy from the car. Anyone comfirm this ( we both had a skin full ).

if it happened it would have had to off been pre 75 as i dont remember ever seeing it

TheFrog

Coach
What exactly is " cooking sherry" boys?

A mate (no longer of this world) and I used to buy a bottle of McWilliams Cream Sherry for $1, fill 2 schooner glasses with it, and down the hatch it went. You're probably looking at 6 or so standard drinks each in one hit, and we were just 15 or so, please don't do this at home kiddies. This goes back to a decade before Fibroman's adventures. Evil stuff, but more alcohol per dollar than any other option available. Never did this at the footy though.

I go back to the very start, the Newtown game in 1967, our first home game, and I've never seen cars parked in the ground. There would not have been room. Maybe when we were in Second Division, but not in First Grade.

Last edited:

Fibroman

First Grade
Dressed to kill, Fibro and the boys made the march to Penrith Park. No expense was spared. Adidas Rome's, black Levi's. blue singlet and a flanno. Panthers beanie purchased from Best and Less in Allen Place and swiftly remove the pom pom. Kentucky Fried Foul. Yum yum and then off to the game, listening to Frank Ley on 2KA. Warren Fenton was one of my favourites around that time, and I also thought that all easts supporters were gay!!!(not that there;s anything wrong with that)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Dressed to kill, Fibro and the boys made the march to Penrith Park. No expense was spared. Adidas Rome's, black Levi's. blue singlet and a flanno. Panthers beanie purchased from Best and Less in Allen Place and swiftly remove the pom pom. Kentucky Fried Foul. Yum yum and then off to the game, listening to Frank Ley on 2KA. Warren Fenton was one of my favourites around that time, and I also thought that all easts supporters were gay!!!(not that there;s anything wrong with that)

In honour of fibroman.

Thanks for the laughs.

kinghippo

Juniors
At the time Fibro was into the cooking sherry I would have been looking for bits of cardboard to sit on & slide down the back of the hill. I also recall the first time I discovered a ribald mag was one that had been discarded at Penrith Park. Cheers for that Fibro, I wasn't sure I knew what I was looking at, but I knew I liked it.
I loved the cardboard slide down the back of the hills as a young kid, even though they were far to vertical and you often ended up in the fence.
I remember being obsessed with finding good bits of cardboard throughout the week and for some reason sneaking it in under my jersey in case It got taken off me.

Latest posts