What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What we as fans can do in Sydney.

8Ball

First Grade
I've had it up to here with having AFL rammed down my throat. Sick of that arrogant, smug piece of sh*t Demetriou, and News not putting two cents back into the game.

What are some things we can do individually to fight back?

Ari Gold

Bench
Talk about league in your workplace, create interest, be an opinion leader.

I work at a retail shop in Campbelltown, and on Saturdays and Sundays i'll ask customers if they're going to the Wests game during simple conversation. Even if they don't go, it gets the idea inside their head.

dimitri

First Grade

I work at a retail shop in Campbelltown, and on Saturdays and Sundays i'll ask customers if they're going to the Wests game during simple conversation. Even if they don't go, it gets the idea inside their head.

Ask them if they are a member of Wests Tigers

Tell them to become a member of Wests Tigers

Mish

Juniors

The guy that works in the Liverpool Westfields league shop does the same, he is a Tigers fan and often has a yarn about the upcoming game.

My youngest brother came to his first LO game yesterday and I think he fell in love with the place. How good does it feel to pass that down the generations. I bet he went to school talking all about the experience.

I was talking to my physio about the problems facing Sydney clubs and he wasn't aware of it, he was very interested and seemed suprised by it all. I gave him a run down on the issues at hand... at least talking about it helps people question what they can do as individuals to help. Turns out he is going to the Bulldogs game tonight. He is a sharks supporter, his wife a Dogs supporter. We should all do our part, and hopefully a little from everyone helps.

mark123

Juniors
you could start a fan club, goto more games, talk league up, point out the negativity sells at the moment vibe happening. become a member.

everytime you goto a game, try and take a friend along who might not have been before or hasnt gone for a while. take kids you know along

Have my own child now, but before, I used to do the same thing when the opportunity arose. A child up the road my girlfriend at the time knew was a league fan and his folks didnt want to go, so we often said we would take him, he loved it, despite being at brisbanes anz stadium...lol...and was a great way to get him and his friends more involved than they would otherwise have been.

Parra

Referee
Believe none of what you hear or read.

Are the clubs really in that much trouble? Could you tell if it wasn't for the endless stream of negative articles? What do the main protagonists stand to gain from the fear and negativity they are creating?

These people are not going to all this effort to create fear, uncertainty and doubt for the benefit of the sport or the clubs. There is an agenda - same as there was last time all this BS started to appear. The game is strong & exploitable and there are people and companies who want a bigger share than they deserve.

It is not the Sydney clubs or the fans fault that News Ltd poured buckets of cash into footy teams. Stuff 'em. There is no threat from AFL, there is no dire situation. League is strong and will remain so. AFL is a non-issue in Sydney and will remain so.

Callan Pk

Juniors
My youngest brother came to his first LO game yesterday and I think he fell in love with the place. How good does it feel to pass that down the generations. I bet he went to school talking all about the experience.

How long you bin a tigers fan?

Alehana

Juniors
i've grown up in a afl dominated environment, anything that was sport that was discussed between my mates was afl, i hated the game, so whenever they talked about it, i'd leave.
However i wasn't the smartest tool in the shed, now i use this against them, what ppl can do is whenever they are aroud ppl of the afl breed, always talk about league, heres some hints, whenever you are talking to ANY1
Use the term FOOTY to descirbe league and not afl
Wen they talk about tigers (richmond, and bulldogs (western)) and all those sh!t AFL teams, always talk to them as if they r talking about league.
When they mention players names, like (priddis of eagles) respond as if they are talking about luke priddos (panthers)
When they ask u what u did on the weekend always talk about footy, watched it, went to it, best times of my weekend,tell them every1 was there, went out afterwards talk it up, like its the best, cause thats what it is even if u have to manipulate stuff like HE GOT SMASHED, GOT A TRY IN THE LAST SECOND TO WIN, then when they described their afl game, where the highlight was the running thru the banner, looked real bored and disinterested, as soon as they have a pause talk league.
Take a few mates to the game (i only have the western force, but i got 3 season tickets so i could always take two mates, they really enjoyed it, even tho they were afl breed)
Even if they mention afl in a sentence, act as if u never heard it and as if they never said it, completely ignore anything to do with afl mentioned.
But ppl in customer service industry u have the upper hand, (y job at a nightclub, i cant even hear myself breath, so i try my hardest to promote it but others could do alot more)

Of course u cant do this all the time, but when promoting the game hope these help.

NSW ppl, good luck.

Slackboy72

Coach
Simple: bums on seats, buy a jerseyand support your side. Staying away cause a games at ANZ, whinging about the price of tickets and endlessly ragging sh*t on the admin and coaching staff does nothing to help your club.

Also:
- If you have casual fridays wear a team branded t-shirt to work. You may be surprised who else is in your office/workplace is a league supporter.
- Don't just rag off AFL supporters, engage them on why you prefer league. I got in a discussion with a mad carlton supporter about the push in the back rule in AFL and it gravitated towards "...but in league good tackles are rewarded" and then we talk about league for 5 minutes.
- If you can't get to the game on a Friday or Saturday night because of social commitments try and make sure your group get to a pub that has the game on a screen instead of going straight to that trendy groove lounge with the crappy DJ and $12 Jaeger bombs.
- Just cause league is the working mans game doesn't mean you have to imitate Reg Reagan. This turns a lot of people off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Become a member and join up your family, especially the kids. Get your nieces and nephews memberships and merchandise for their birthdays and xmas. If your club doesn't have a good kids membership club write to them and tell them to get their act together. The kids are the future. My UK club has about 6,000 season members and close to 800 kids members and they only get crowds of 8,000!

Th1rteen

Juniors
I've just bought a Penrith Panthers shirt from their website! Well my mate did and he will ship it for me. Cost me $150 and I don't really support them but it will go with my "collection". Buying your club shirts directly from their website/shop is a great way for the club to make money.

Patorick

Staff member
Yeah, get your gear from the club websites, no matter how much postage will be.

Ice777

Bench
I've gotta agree with those pushing for people to buy a membership. Every cent goes to your club and if for whatever reason you can't go to a game or two during the year, it won't affect the club financially as they already have the money you paid up front for the membership and it won't affect their bottom line if you can't show up.

On the same token the clubs have to make their membership packages as attractive as possible to entice as many supporters as they can. It might take a while but i reckon the clubs are now on the right track and with the right marketing we should see membership numbers at every club increase as each year passes.

Latest posts