What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will be your tackling strategy?

shirkhan

Juniors
hope fully you can select your side b4 the game like on the demo unlike rugby 2001 were u can play or the computer can play because sometimes i wanna play against my team and beat them to make it more realistic and hopefully at the end of the game it shows all the try scores not just like 4

I want the AI to be running sideays in fear of the smashings that my boys are putting on...and I am going to create Les Boyd as a super sub to clean up anyone that starts to play a bit too well if you know what I mean

Azkatro

First Grade
You guys are crazy for wanting to play to lose! Maybe if you're stuffing about trying to do something in particular, but yeah I normally thought you'd be playing to win :) I'll probably play a bit on easy first, get the hang of the controls, and when I find myself doing well enough to win regularly on the easiest level, step straight up to the top difficulty, and start a season. In FIFA 2001 me and a few mates concluded that we'd conquered the game when, collectively, we could beat Brazil in a world cup final with Australia 3-0. If I can beat Australia in a test match using someone like France or PNG on the hardest difficulty, I'll deem that I've conquered this game. But I kinda hope I never manage to do that!

I remember ET's like someone else said I used to move up and then tackle diagonally which was the best option percentage wise. Obviously this game will be a little more involved than that but I guess I'll probably go with the percentage option again. It might just be a matter of having to try and identify the guys that won't offload and taking them low, while other blokes who throw offloads all the time need to be more severely dealt with :)

I hope there's an option to turn off sin-binnings and send-offs, too - in FIFA there's nothing more enjoyable then turning bookings off and getting stuck into a mindless hack-fest with numerous pedistrian injured players present after the full time whistle.

TripleM

Juniors
I think he meant he will play to win but hopefully lose cos the AIs so great. And I don't think you'll have a hope jumping to the hardest difficulty anyway.. if what we heard about that difficulty is true. Anyway, wouldn't you want to play each difficulty in order, making it last longer?

Forum Idiot

Bench
i will lose some games on purpose too. when im playing madden i always make up story lines in my head and stuff. sometimes i like to stage miracle comebacks and stuff like that. i let the opposition score a few touchdowns and that.

Erhan

Juniors
We've already heard about people recreating the real squad every year in Et's Rugby (I think it was Goleel). But what I want to know is whilst playing it, did anyone keep a track of who played well etc. Then, whoever had a dud game would be dropped and you'd bring up someone else from reserves? (you would also change their attributes to suit the new player too) Alternatively, you would feel a bond between the player that scored the most tries or set them up and would give all the important plays to him for the future. Anyway, If you did.. I'd classify you a freak, just like me :lol:

Azkatro

First Grade
TripleM said:
I think he meant he will play to win but hopefully lose cos the AIs so great. And I don't think you'll have a hope jumping to the hardest difficulty anyway.. if what we heard about that difficulty is true. Anyway, wouldn't you want to play each difficulty in order, making it last longer?

I guess it depends on how *hard* the hardest difficulty is, but I really enjoy it because it reflects a situation where you come from the lowest ebb (ie getting thrashed 58-2 week after a week) until you slowly start to learn the tricks of the trade. Losing by less and less each time makes for hugely determined efforts, and then when you manage to eke out that first win it's so damn exciting you feel like you've just won the world cup. Then you progress to a few consistent wins in a row, and that feels great, then grinding out a fantastic victory against one of the better sides. I enjoy this progression rather than always winning from start to finish, just against varying levels of opposition. Each to their own though, I suppose :)

Erhan said:
We've already heard about people recreating the real squad every year in Et's Rugby (I think it was Goleel). But what I want to know is whilst playing it, did anyone keep a track of who played well etc. Then, whoever had a dud game would be dropped and you'd bring up someone else from reserves? (you would also change their attributes to suit the new player too) Alternatively, you would feel a bond between the player that scored the most tries or set them up and would give all the important plays to him for the future. Anyway, If you did.. I'd classify you a freak, just like me :lol:

I never dropped players, although I did have a tendency to put my fastest players in the centre of the field. When you attack it's largely up the middle of the park with offloads a-plenty. Occasionally you'd head out wide, but doing the trick where you pass across to a player and then have the recipient run the opposite direction of the pass to hit the ball and ALWAYS open up a yawning gap, even on 7 difficulty, I had my number 8 player make countless breaks up the middle.

I just loved how obedient the players were, too. In the rare circumstance that you got sin binned or sent off (think I got sent like 3 times ever), you'd hear the dodgy PC speaker voice saying "sent off" and within less than a second the offending player is sprinting from the field. Plus the way you could win every scrum with frantic key bashing, the way the computer player could kick 50m down field whereas you had to build them up painfully slowly by holding down the button, and the heartbreaking manner in which the ref would blow for full time as you're in the middle of a dive over the line for the matchwinning try.

Erhan

Juniors
Ah yes.. the good old pass two off the ruck and then stepping in the opposite direction would bamboozal even the best CPU defences. Another one of my favourites was to give the ball to your winger and hte only way to beat your opposite winger was to grubber the ball through and regather it. You only needed to beat the fullback at this point and you would hope your centre was there backing up. Also, did anyone manage to stand up & go around the CPU fullback ? (AKA Craig Wing style when he was at Souths) It was almost impossible to do it but when you did, it was definantly a replay worth saving onto disk :)

Azkatro said:
Erhan said:

I never dropped players, although I did have a tendency to put my fastest players in the centre of the field. When you attack it's largely up the middle of the park with offloads a-plenty. Occasionally you'd head out wide, but doing the trick where you pass across to a player and then have the recipient run the opposite direction of the pass to hit the ball and ALWAYS open up a yawning gap, even on 7 difficulty, I had my number 8 player make countless breaks up the middle.

I just loved how obedient the players were, too. In the rare circumstance that you got sin binned or sent off (think I got sent like 3 times ever), you'd hear the dodgy PC speaker voice saying "sent off" and within less than a second the offending player is sprinting from the field. Plus the way you could win every scrum with frantic key bashing, the way the computer player could kick 50m down field whereas you had to build them up painfully slowly by holding down the button, and the heartbreaking manner in which the ref would blow for full time as you're in the middle of a dive over the line for the matchwinning try.

Azkatro

First Grade
Erhan said:
Also, did anyone manage to stand up & go around the CPU fullback ? (AKA Craig Wing style when he was at Souths) It was almost impossible to do it but when you did, it was definantly a replay worth saving onto disk :)

I can remember doing that on very rare occasions and yeah that was a always a great moment! Speaking of great replays too, I remember one in particular when I was playing against Illawarra on a hard surface. They kicked off deep and the ball bounced dead-set backwards (like the perfect chip kick) and because the surface was hard it went back so high and far that the Illawarra players were there to catch it on the first bounce and ran the distance to score the try.

Munky

Coach
I'm going to be playing as the Panthers so my defensive strategy is to score more points than the other team.

I do plan to smash Kimmorley (take Gowers Aussie No. 7 shirt :twisted: ). Willie Mason will be in for a few coathangers and spear tackles.

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah, I used to record try scorers and that with ARL 96, not so much ET's Rugby, but I did actually try and use my bench players in ET's, despite how little use they had. In ARL though (I was a lot younger when I did this, by the way) I'd keep a notepad file of stats for my seasons, try scorers, try assists, line breaks and a 3,2,1 player of the year type thing.

Latest posts