What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats going on with Danny williams case?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
balmainbenny said:
Great decision!!! :clap: :clap:

:roll: I know you're a Balmain supporter but any decision or action like this is never good for our game. This was always going to happen now. I'll just shield my eyes tomorrow when they replay the incident 20 times.

Pigskin

Juniors
I'm not condoning what he has done by any means. And I can understand Tigers fans being angry toward him, not to mention Mark O'Neill being seemingly a good bloke.

But I always liked the way Danny Williams played the game. One of the old style hard heads. Not over endowed with talent, but did his job and showed passion and committment every time he ran on the field over a long period of time.

No difficult precedent has been set with tonights ruling, which is good for the future.

The only consequence is the Storms finals campaign is dented slightly, and Danny Williams goes out in the worst possible way.

Still a good career. Time to move on.

Oink !

Leagueguy

Juniors
Extreme compared to other incidents , but I hope they use this as a springboard to get a lot tougher on all high tackles and fighting. Too much is made of this "don't hit a man with his back turned" , its just crap. What should you do? Tap him on the shoulder, then when turns round its ok to try and break his jaw or knock him out? Don't we see players hit high in tackles and punched in tackles all the time when they are in no position to defend themselves.

Yes I agree he should go for this amount of time, but a lot of high shots are just as dangerous and gutless as what he did. Fighting and high shots should be stamped out. The whole bring back the biff thing is crap. If a punch connects and knocks someone out or breaks there jaw or causes a serious gruesome injury, that slogan will be dead very quickly. I'm amazed its endorsed now. Its just a matter of time before something really serious and dangerous happens. Its like that saying saying says, its all fun and games still someone gets hurt.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oh no, but you don't get it, it's a jibe at the old 70s and 80s players who'll get a laugh out of it. :roll:

GUESS WHAT, IT"S NOT ABOUT THEM ON THE FOOTY SHOW! Kids are cottoning on and thinking it's OK to belt their opposition. Hell, last week when Ch.9 did crowd shots I saw a kid with moe, pretend gut and a BBTB tshirt on. Todays kids are taking it on face value and want the violence. Not a good image for our game.

Agree 100% LeagueGuy.

lazza

Juniors
so what was the point of the 2 week delay? headlines?

im surprised he got the maximum 18 weeks... imo shoulda been 15 since the headslam contributed to it.

coolumsharkie

Referee
For a while there I thought he was going to do a 'OJ Simpson'

Perhaps not the best similie but you get what i mean....

18 weeks = life for a washed up 30 yr old thug...

nice!

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I agree with League Guy and Dodge here. It's time to move on. Matt Johns should retire his Reg Reagan character (if it wasn't all ready old about a year ago) and develop something new.

And the 2 week delay was so the NRL judiciary sould become more informed of the unusual circumstances of the case.

18 weeks, good riddance.

bartman

Immortal
That's at least six matches this year, plus any semis Melbourne play (max 4), leaving him 8 games to serve under a new contract.

I think you'll find he'll still end up a big chance of being brought over by an English club midway through next season, or even a struggling NRL club that sign him and register him to play after Round 8 2005.

JOELCORE

Juniors
Leagueguy said:
Extreme compared to other incidents , but I hope they use this as a springboard to get a lot tougher on all high tackles and fighting. Too much is made of this "don't hit a man with his back turned" , its just crap. What should you do? Tap him on the shoulder, then when turns round its ok to try and break his jaw or knock him out? Don't we see players hit high in tackles and punched in tackles all the time when they are in no position to defend themselves.

Yes I agree he should go for this amount of time, but a lot of high shots are just as dangerous and gutless as what he did. Fighting and high shots should be stamped out. The whole bring back the biff thing is crap. If a punch connects and knocks someone out or breaks there jaw or causes a serious gruesome injury, that slogan will be dead very quickly. I'm amazed its endorsed now. Its just a matter of time before something really serious and dangerous happens. Its like that saying saying says, its all fun and games still someone gets hurt.

Have you ever played football. ;-) Doesnt seem like it.

High tackles are alot of the times very hard to avoid.Hitting someone with his back turned is no where by a million miles close to being the same.

It was a dogshot with malice.Remember he had to walk a ways to get to oneil.18 weeks is great.

People go to jail for doing this in the streets.

Latest posts