What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the deal with Brooky in 2016???

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Can anyone give me a quick summery of the f**kery going on with Manly and the Brooky deal???

I keep seeing little things like this...
Hey, Manly isn't even locked in to a home ground yet, so stop your whinging*

*this doesn't affect me as my membership is unticketed, but sweet merciful f**k it's ridicirous.

Whats the holdup? Are they close to a resolution? Are they threatening to move if they keep getting f*cked around/where to? etc....

zombie jesus

Staff member
Not panicking yet, something will be sorted, out of necessity if nothing else.

Went through a similar process last off-season and the lease wasn't finalised until mid-December. Although this is a little bit different with the club holding back money owed rather than just disputing new terms.

It's quite difficult to get information out of the club unless Zorba has something he wants to hand feed Dean Ritchie for some positive spin for the masses to eat up over their Corn Flakes.

A couple of things to note this time around since last year. In June or July the Penns asked the Football Club if they could take away more games than the allowed 2 from Brookie, that was rightfully denied by the FC board.

There's also the situation surrounding the Leagues Club land and development. The Penns sold the land to some developers (for a hefty profit) who promptly put in some plans to Warringah council, they were quickly withdrawn when it was clear there was no chance of proceeding and nothing has been heard since. It wouldn't be a stretch to think the land deal was contingent on the development proposal getting through, that's just me speculating.

The final say on Manly at Brookie comes down to the Football Club who hold 2 seats on the board with 5 Penn representatives, they made it a condition of privatisation that there would always be 10 games at Brookie plus a few other things like name and colours. Those things can't be changed without a massive majority of FC members voting for it.

If it gets to February and nothing has been sorted, then I will start panicking.

Might get some info in a few weeks with the Football Club AGM on, they're usually open and honest about things, they have no control over anything but they don't mind at least sharing what they know.

Last edited:

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Still can't believe we had the PM of the country and couldn't get a full upgrade. Even if it is a safe Liberal seat. I can't see the money ever coming if not from the private sector. Well, except approx $10m.... Or a new PM coming from the electorate or a fan of the club.

It is inevitable the club will move unfortunately. The FC can hold them out for a while though, hopefully at least until the Penn's sell.

I thought the aim of the FC was to buy shares back into the club to increase its ownership. Has that happened at all?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The final say on Manly at Brookie comes down to the Football Club who hold 2 seats on the board with 5 Penn representatives, they made it a condition of privatisation that there would always be 10 games at Brookie plus a few other things like name and colours. Those things can't be changed without a massive majority of FC members voting for it.

No wonder the deal is terrible for the Eagles, Brooky already know what theyre going to get before they even sit down to the table...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No wonder the deal is terrible for the Eagles, Brooky already know what theyre going to get before they even sit down to the table...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/manly-sea-eagles-being-bullied-over-change-to-rent-at-brookvale-oval/story-fngr8hax-1227667338052
MANLY Sea Eagles and Warringah Council have agreed a secret deal on unpaid rent for Brookvale Oval. But Manly is fuming after the council introduced new costs for hiring the ground next season.

The club was being ?bullied?
, chairman Scott Penn said.

Knowing they will get X number of games, the COuncil was always going to bend the board over...

Threaten to take a few more games to Gosford and this "bullying" will end pretty quickly.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Just a thought what impact if any will the proposed council mergers have on brooky? Better or worse situation for the club?

zombie jesus

Staff member
Can't be much worse than the current situation I think. The Mayor of Manly Council is Ken Arthurson's sister, she has been critical of Warringah Council over the fees they charge the club, her council (and Pittwater) hasn't put in any money when requested under the guise of Brookie being a regional asset.

If she has anything to do with the new council it will be interesting to see if she puts her money where her mouth is.

pink v

Juniors
Still can't believe we had the PM of the country and couldn't get a full upgrade. Even if it is a safe Liberal seat. I can't see the money ever coming if not from the private sector. Well, except approx $10m.... Or a new PM coming from the electorate or a fan of the club.

It is inevitable the club will move unfortunately. The FC can hold them out for a while though, hopefully at least until the Penn's sell.

I thought the aim of the FC was to buy shares back into the club to increase its ownership. Has that happened at all?

how bout stop poaching other clubs players and put that money towards ya own upgrades turkeys

zombie jesus

Staff member
I reckon it's 70/30 they work something out.
If not then whoever offers the most attractive package of Allianz and Central Coast, maybe a split.
We'll be out of there by 2018.

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
how bout stop poaching other clubs players and put that money towards ya own upgrades turkeys

Because its a council owned amenity you f*cking imbecile.

That would be like you having to pay for the upgrade to the public toilet block you no doubt live in.

The toilet block you live in is used by the general public and is not actually owned by you so why would you be expected to pay the money to fix it up?

I'm sure you probably have a couple of nice pictures on the urinal door or something, but you should not be expected to fix the plumbing and replace the dunnies when the time comes.

You are so many levels of stupid, sunshine.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
It is all a political load of BS. You have a club hell bent on moving the club. Doing everything it can publicly to force an upgrade and decrease in fees. You have a council actively exploiting a clause in the clubs by structure to force it to play games at Brookie. I'm not a fan of either side... This campaign to force the council to decrease costs is a marketing campaign to bring fans to be more agreeable to a move and make the council the bad guy. Which they also are to be honest. It stinks... The whole thing. The fees are an outrage, but why won't they consider a decrease rather than lose the local team completely?

zombie jesus

Staff member
The council quote the $375k figure a lot and then says they make up the rest. They conveniently leave out the $1 levy for every GA ticket they collect also, another ~$100k a year in an average year.

Latest posts