What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the difference between a hit and a king hit?

Moffo

Referee
Honest question,

After the match tonight I saw Cartwright, Prince and someone else call it a king hit. After watching a replay or two, it looks as though Delaney and Lowe square up for a brief moment before Lowe clocks him. It's not as though Delaney wasn't looking, so does the fact that he fell down make it a king hit?

Sorry just trying to reconcile it to other fights that I have seen this year. Are we suggesting that the severity of the punches is judged by what happens to the person on the receiving end?

I've never really understood it to be honest. If Lowe's punch missed (and in doing so, was quite similar to 1,000s of other haymakers that have been thrown over the years...such as Tallis v ross), would he get straight off and Delaney get 3 weeks for the nut grab?

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
If Lowe's punch missed (and in doing so, was quite similar to 1,000s of other haymakers that have been thrown over the years...such as Tallis v ross), would he get straight off and Delaney get 3 weeks for the nut grab?
No, because there's no proof that it was a nut grab, other than the evidence given by Jason Taylor.

DeeGan

Bench
King hit = Danny Williams on Mark O'Neill

Hit = Jaiman Lowe on Brett Delaney, Casey McGuire on Justin Hodges, Kevin Campion on Shane Webcke

To me it look like Delaney was backing away before been ' King Hit ' by Lowe , still not in the same league as Williams one as Delaney was still facing towards Lowe

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if Delaney was looking, which he was, its not a king hit

you normally associate a king hit when some one gets hit from behind and didn't see it coming

Lowe claims Delaney got him in a squirrel grip, couldn't see too much on the reply tho

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It was just a good clean punch, Delaney saw it coming. Stupid, but not cowardly. Worth a send-off though as Lowe did chase Delaney rather than simply lashing out in retaliation, if he had copped a squirrel grip he should've sucked it down and complained after the match.

stimpy u idiot

Juniors
re: king hit vs hit, isn't a hit that you don't see coming called a 'sucker punch', i.e. danny williams. I always thought a king hit was basically a punch that knocks some one out cold in one effort. Which lowes effort qualifies for.

I reckon he should get 6 weeks for it. It wasn't as dirty as williams' was.

It wasn't as bad as Danny 'Cat' Williams, Williams just walked over to O'Neill and nailed him in the back of the head. Lowe they were grabbing each others jerseys then Lowe just lashed out and got him.

JK

Not a king hit.
In fact it was a good hit...

...if there wasn't a freaking game on! Idiot!!!

Phillips

Referee
it seems today that if its a good punch.. or knocks the person to the ground its classed as a "king hit".

Moffo

Referee
the media is a joke, the way they've blown this out of proportion. tallis would've knocked ross' head into mt druitt a few years ago with the punches he was throwing but got nothing because he missed

Big-Steve

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
King hit is when you punch Wally Lewis

Hit everything else

:lol:
HA HA

What if ya hit Matt King!

Ya know after having he's balls pulled he needed balls not to react. I think there's alot of over reaction out there simply because the punch connected. What if he missed like millions before him.

It's like that poor bloke from Newcastle that got the sack for a lot less than well know players have done. And the media blows it up big time.

Life has become pretty tough for footballers. To play at the level they do they are generally full on people. We or the media (take you're pick) unrealistly expect them to give all on field but as soon as they go too far we crucify them so badly. That's what Australia is all about giving a bloke a far go :clap: