What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what's the problem?

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
i have been reading everyones comments over the last few weeks regarding the abilities of some players. but i just fail to understand how other clubs have new combinations and injuries but still play controlled footy. besides losing games can anyone tell me what the problem is. i personally think we have the players to be champions, but there seems to be a lack of discipline and commitment to the game. maybe i am wrong but i am at a loss to understand what is happening. could it be fitness? could it be some underlying unrest at the club? or, at the risk of being swamped with criticism, is it a coaching or training issue? i just find it heartbreaking to see our great team being outplayed all the time.:(:(:(

No one can seem to point to one thing.
But we play a hell of a lot better in Sydney. Maybe it's a travelling thing.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
1. Our right side defence is a huge problem, we can fix that by bringing back Benny

2. Forwards give away the ball far too easy and too much, ball security and discipline, but that is the basics that every team tries to improve

3. Our halves are hot and cold, f**ked if I know what we can do about them

Slick

Juniors
1. Our right side defence is a huge problem, we can fix that by bringing back Benny

2. Forwards give away the ball far too easy and too much, ball security and discipline, but that is the basics that every team tries to improve

Agree.

I would also add a major lack of enthusiasm. We just don't seem to fire up anymore. If a team out enthuses us we're doomed. It's like the team expects to win without really trying or something.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, I agree on th enthusiasm

look at Anthony Watt's last minute try, we all stood around and watched him pick up the ball and score

he wanted it more than we did

juneauquan

Juniors
Agree.

I would also add a major lack of enthusiasm. We just don't seem to fire up anymore. If a team out enthuses us we're doomed. It's like the team expects to win without really trying or something.

Bingo!

An influx of younger talent could fix the lack of enthusiasm.

But it is not the only problem that needs addressing.

1. Hagan needs to get tough and axe inconsistent non-performers. What I mean by that is, those players who play great one week and crap the next week. We need players who perform at a high to medium level consistently. I don't mind if a player has a bad game every once in a while, but not every second week.

2. Errors. Too many stupid errors, like Riddel throwing a pass to Foi Foi who was a metre in front of him by the time Riddell threw the pass. Or strips on the oppositions first set of six in each half (albeit contentious strips considering both were first ruled knock ons by the ref and then overturned by the video ref)

3. Player depth. Sort of related to my first point. Honestly, if Reddy and Lowrie are in the line-up is this a reflection on our depth OR is this a reflection on Hagan? But we have won the Premier League the last two years and our juniors are going great guns, so depth shouldn't be a problem.

4. Teams like the Roosters have yet to leave Sydney. We have travelled to Auckland and Townsville in the first four rounds. I think sometimes we underestimate the impacts of travel on our performances.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not having a go at Ben Smith here, but before he got injured last year he wasn't setting the world on fire either. He was copping a his fair share of flack as well, now after a knee reco he will just magically come back and fix our right side defence???

parra.letic

Juniors
Not having a go at Ben Smith here, but before he got injured last year he wasn't setting the world on fire either. He was copping a his fair share of flack as well, now after a knee reco he will just magically come back and fix our right side defence???

no but he cant make it worse!

COACH STERLING

Juniors

I agree totally with points 1 & 2.
Once we address these 2 areas I think we can than judge point 3 a bit better

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Our problem is our defence, I mean every week we've conceded 20 points, we shouldnt let that happen.

In attack, we just seem to flat footed, someone tell Moi Moi to stand a lot deeper so he can really charge onto it.

If it wasnt for Hindmarsh it couldve been a lot worse, p1ss off Lowrie and Wagon, Im just glad Robinson could be back next week to fix up that defence. As well as Ben Smith out wide, I dont think Reddy is a centre.

So for next week, fix up the defence, the halves, the attack.

Eelementary

Post Whore
But who's ready to step up?Personally, I feel we need some young blood up front. One of the Mannah brothers would be the obvious choice, but are they ready? I believe this would go a way to helping us out a great end - an enthusiastic young forward making metres and tackles...All good.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I have no idea. But if he goes forward and isn't lazy in defence, bring him in in my eyes. Though what we need are more props imo, and less defensive-oriented back-rowers; can't have Hindmarsh, Wagon and Lowrie/Robinson all in the one side imo.

Mannah brothers are way to young guys... forget about them for at least 1 year. They will be smashed if they play now.

parra pete

Referee
Read Brett Kenny's article in the Courier Mail...That's a start to finding out "What's the problem"...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Tim Smith is not the problem, the problem is that Tim Smith and Brett Finch are to similar types of players.