What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's up with the Fish?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I've seen more than enough evidence to know that the Fish is probably the fastest man in rugby league. So why does he look so sluggish in first-grade? I can understand if his positioning isn't the best, but so many times today (and also last year in that awful performance against the Cowboys, and a little bit last week) he got out of position and then appeared to be running in slow motion to get to where he should be. George Rose would've made a better effort on that Papali'i try. Also, although he made a good tackle on Ferguson, Manu honestly looked faster chasing Ferguson that Fish did.

He also runs the ball back like an old lady and generally looks like he doesn't want to be there. Is it fitness? Attitude? Confidence? I'm really frustrated by a guy who I have seen do amazing things at lower levels.

Izz

Bench
George Rose would've made a better effort on that Papali'i try.
My thoughts exactly. Caught badly out of position (for the hundredth time in the game), then jogged after him.

As to the rest of your post, i think it's attitude. Looks like he just wants to be the razzle-dazzle tryscorer and can't be bothered doing everything else a fullback needs to do. Locke better be back in the team next week.

And maybe we're using up all our game energy in warm-ups.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Looks tired constantly, like most of our players.

Yeah. You wouldn't think he would have fitness issues but it honestly looks like it. Watch the replay of the Papali'i try and he has this pained expression on his face as though he's really putting in, but his legs just wouldn't go.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I know we did a bit of defense early on but I saw some of our players with hands on knees after 10 mins.

One Warrior

Bench
Clearly if the Fish wants to play first grade, he needs to play centre or wing in the Vulcans and then push for a position in the side in those positions. He can't hold a candle to Locke defensively at fullback, Locke is everywhere in defense at the back, Fish isn't even in camera shot half the time. This was his chance to stand up and he didn't.

Izz

Bench
Fish made the Raiders long kicking game look much better than it actually was. So many of those kicks should never have found the ground, but he was so badly positioned on almost every one.

Benek

Juniors
I've been hugely disappointed with Fish at the back. It makes it so obvious how good Nobby is. Fish is almost non existent on defense. So poorly positions he's not even in the camera frame. That might be excusable if he was magic on the kick return but he's been ordinary at best. We desperately need Locke back.

One Warrior

Bench
Yes definitely not a fullback, says he only likes playing fullback, well if he wants to play he will have to learn to like centre or wing.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He's fit, he's fast

he's not a fullback.

Uh huh. So he should be playing a different position to the position he always plays, and it's because he's playing in his normal position that he sometimes runs really slow, not because of fitness.

:crazy:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
For mine, Fish should be doing everything he can for that #1 jersey. But he's just not doing enough.

I've seen enough to know that Locke has a lock on the Fullback jersey. The Fish just isn't up to it.

worier

Juniors
Nothing new to be honest from the Vulcans games I've watched. He's always looked a bit lack lustre at the back but when it comes to sniffing out an offload you'll see him going hard.. If only he showed the same sort of attitude when on defence.

_addict

Juniors
For a quick man he sure doesn't hurry about bringing the ball back. Was it Learoyd-Lahrs that smashed him as he dawdled back? He deserved it, hopefully it'll learn him.

_addict

Juniors
Oh yeah, I agree with all those who want to see our usual FB there next week.

The one who has a more complete view of what the job entails, hauls arse not only when on attack, and who doesn't care about pesky triffles being in the way - like goal-posts and advertising boards etc.

aargon

It just shows what a huge differnce first grade is to reserve grade.

All that ya de da about how great Fish is scoring 6 tries for the vulcans, similarly how great McCleannan is coaching Leeds to the Superleague title.....they're finding out the hard way it aint the same ball game.

welcome to the big league boys.

hitman82

Bench
It just shows what a huge differnce first grade is to reserve grade.

All that ya de da about how great Fish is scoring 6 tries for the vulcans, similarly how great McCleannan is coaching Leeds to the Superleague title.....they're finding out the hard way it aint the same ball game.

welcome to the big league boys.

This post is right on the money.

I do feel sorry for the Fish coming into a side which is spiraling into oblivion... but he's show SFA to be happy about. I did like him bundling an attacker into touch; something Locke usually wouldn't have the size to do. That was about it.

Latest posts