What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your bench press?

C

CanadianSteve

Based on what I read on the Footy Quiz thread, I'd guess that Grubrunner is the strongest here.

I benched pressed 250 pounds (113.6kg) 25 years ago when I played college football. I was 6'0", 190 pounds then, small compared to Grubrunner.

Those that have trained with weights, what is, or was, your max in the bench press?

H

hutch

the other day i benched 107kg . that would be my best, but i only did one rep. how old r u canadian steve

A Quote from Guido Hatzis (Australian-Greek Legend)

In ringing the Vatican and asking to speak to the pope

"Jesus could turn water into wine, but could he bench press 200 kilos?"

I bench pressed a paddle pop the other day,then blew out a candle and had a smoke.
It has taken me two days to get over it, so I have given up paddle pops and candles.

C

CanadianSteve

I am 48. I think I could still do about 230 lb. but a cardiologist recently told me not to lift really heavy weights any more.

Last time I got into a convo in here, it was called a fable. Seems anything you say is not believed. Funny, I was thinking recently that I assume most people in here are always telling the truth, or at least not misrepresenting themselves. But maybe that doesn't apply if you're from TFS.;)

Still waiting to hear from Grubrunner, who I'm guessing can bench a lot more.

S

SpaceMonkey

Not sure what I could do as a one off but the most I've done reps with is 80kg for 4 or 5 reps. My guess is I'd be lucky to manage 100.

I'm only doing this because someone asked. It's usually not my MO.
First some Powerlifting rules that I had to abide by when I competed. I'll post my best lifts below, but it'll make more sense if you read some rules first as to what could and could not be done in competition lifting. Competition lifting is for 1RM.
At the time, we abided by thePowerliftingAustralia INCrules, which in turnwere determined by the International Powerlifting Asscociation:
Belts, straps, wraps, chalk and lifting suits (as long as they met the requirements of PowerliftingAustralia INC), which can assist a great deal on ocassions,were all allowed at the time. I'm led to believe they still are but not certain.
Here are the rules:

Squat

1) The lifter approaches the bar resting on heightened racks facing the audience and the judges. The lifter must then take the bar on the back of his shoulders and move away from the racks in an upright position.
2) When the lifter is in a stable position (no movement of the feet is allowed until the lift is completed) the head judge shall call "Squat" and will move his hand downwards. The lifter must sit down to a required depth and stand up without any assistance to return to his original standing/upright position.

3) The lifter must wait for the head judge to call "Rack" and demonstrate a backward movement of the hand, until the bar can be replaced on the racks. Spotters may assist to return the bar back to the racks.
4) The lifter is then judged on the lift - two or more red lights means that the lift is failed.
<u> <h3>Causes for disqualification in the Squat!</u>
1) Failure to observe the head referee's signals at the start or on completion of the lift.
2) Double bouncing or more than one recovery attempt at the bottom of the lift.
3) Failure to assume an upright position with the knees locked either at the start or end of the lift.
4) Movement of the feet in any direction during the lift.
5) Failure to reach the prescribed depth at the bottom of the lift. (Refer diagrams 1, 2, 3 and 4 below).
6) Moving the position of the hands or the bar during the lift.
7) Spotters touching the bar during the lift.
8) Contact of elbows or upper arms with legs.
9) Failure to make a bona fide attempt to return the bar to the racks.
10) Intentional dropping or dumping of the bar.
</H3> <h2>Bench Press
1) The lifter approaches the bench with the top of the bench facing the audience and the judges.
2) The lifter must lie backwards with the head, shoulders and buttocks in contact with the bench. The lifter receives the bar at arm's length from the spotters.
3) On receiving a command from the head judge to "Start", the bar is brought down onto the chest, paused and then it is pressed back to the starting position.
4) The head judge then gives the command " rack" with a movement of the hand backwards. The bar is then returned to the bench racks.
5) The lifter is then judged on the lift. </H2><u> <h3>Causes for disqualification in the Bench Press!</u>
1) Failure to observe the referee's signals.
2) Any change in the elected position of the shoulders, head, raising of buttocks, lateral movement of hands, or excessive movement of the feet during the lift itself.
3) Inadequate pause of the bar on the chest as well as heaving or bouncing the bar off the chest.
4) Allowing the bar to sink into the chest on the upward press.
5) Uneven extension of the arms during the lift.
6) Any downward motion of the bar on the upward press.
7) Contact with the bar by the spotters during the lift.
8) Any contact with the lifters shoes on the bench during the lift.
9) Deliberate contact with the uprests of the bench and the bar in order to assist the lift.
10) Failure of the centre spotter to give the central referee a clear view.
</H3> <h2>Deadlift</h2> <h3>1) The bar is laid horizontally facing the audience and the judges.
2) The lifter comes to the bar and picks it up in one continuous movement until he is in an upright position with his shoulders locked.
3) The head judge will then signal "Down" with his hand moving downwards. The lifter must return the bar to the ground without dropping the bar.
4) The lifter is judged on the lift. </H3><u> <h3>Causes for disqualification in the Deadlift!</h3></u> 1) Any downward movement of the bar before the lifter reaches an erect position.
2) Failure to stand erect.

3) Failure to knock the knees straight at the completion of the lift.

4) Supporting the bar on the thighs during the performance of the lift. This is defined as a body position adopted by the lifter that could not be maintained without the counter-balance of the weight being lifted.

5) Movement of the feet in any direction during the lift, although. rocking on the heels is permitted.

6) Lowering of the bar before receiving the head judge's signal.

7) Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands.

Here are my personal best lifts for ONE SINGLE REPETITION (or one rep maximum)-
280.5kg(618.50LB )- Squat
202.5kg (446.51lb) - Bench Press
285kg (628.43lb) - Deadlift
Total = 768kg (1693.44lb)
This wasall performed in the late 80's andearly 90's period. I held the NSW and AustralianOpen (125+kg)weight divisionSquat record for just short of2 years which I did at Gold Coast, Qld.None of the other twolifts or totalswere good enough to be recognized asstate or national records at the time. I'm not as strongas I once was, but I still hit the iron often.
These days we have 100kg division guys doing better total lifts than what I did, let alone individual lifts.
<u>100.0KG</u>
SQUAT PETER KYRIAKOS VIC 320.0 KG 14 APRIL 1995 MELBOURNE
B/PRESS MASON JARDINE QLD 210.0 KG 13 FEB 1999 BRISBANE
DEADLIFT BERNIE WELSFORD QLD 337.5 KG DEC 1998 OCEANIA NZ
TOTAL MASON JARDINE QLD 835.0 KG 13 FEB 1999 BRISBANE
Have a look at the current standing records for the weight class I competed at and compare them to my best lifts. These are also the current Australian records inpowerlifting competitions:
<u>125+KG</u>
SQUAT JOHN PITCHER QLD 341.0 KG 09 JUNE 1996 MOUNT ISA
B/PRESS MICHAEL ABDULLAH NSW 222.5 KG 14 NOV 1996 AUSTRIA
DEADLIFTDEAN COWAN QLD 335.5 KG 27 JULY 1997 GOLD COAST
TOTAL PAUL NEWMAN NSW 870.0 KG 26 JULY 1998 SYDNEY
You can see all the records at thePowerliftingAustralia INC page:
[url]http://members.tripod.com/~Powerlifting1/recmen.html[/url]
*None of the events,now or then, were drug tested. Just being honest.

Mate I'm a whisker under 6'4'' and just weighed myself on the weekend for the first time in about two months (I don't beleive in scales but do so when I get my BF measured) and weighed 128.4kg.
Have a nice arvo all.
embeer.gif

C

CanadianSteve

Grubrunner, did you ever play league? At your size and strength you should have tried American football.

None of the events,now or then, were drug tested. Just being honest.Without being personal, what would you say is the extent of steroid use in powerlifting?

S

SpaceMonkey

Grubrunner, did you ever meet Frank Boulgaris while you were competing? He ownsthe gym in Auckland that I used to go to and formerly held a number of Oceania records, and as far as I know is stll a NZ record holder in several divisions. He's still in awesome shape and trains quite a few NZ title/recrd holders and even a couple of guys who have set world records in their classes.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
But maybe that doesn't apply if you're from TFS.;)

Nah, we bullshit all the time Steve to keep Canadian people confused. It's all a big conspiracy to make Canadians paranoid. Eh?

This thread is stupid. It's typical of what an American would want to talk about, how good he is. The only person I believe so far is Lord Ted.

Yeah, I know you're Canadian Steve, like I said, American.

When does Raging Bulltwonk come back?

See this is why I thought long and hard about wheather I should reply to this thread or not.
I knew it was only a matter of time before some circus clown emerged and voiced his bullshit and half arsed comments. That's fine though.I made it clear that I replied only because someone invited me to. If not for the invite, I never would have. Not my style to brag unneccessarily.
Idon't try to do or be something I'm not. Never have never will. Those here can believe what they want. Water off a ducks back to me.
I whish not to further my input on this thread.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
"Not my style to brag unneccessarily."

Then you shouldn't have.

You bloody sook. I only posted that to get up Steve's nose (Steve ;)) but it looks like I caught something a lot smaller. I didn't even read your postings.

Now you big girl, I expect you to delete your postings in this thread, throw on a taffeta puppy skirt and skip down to the local Mobile Breast Centre for your yearly check up.

S

SpaceMonkey

EA, pull your f**king head in mate. This thread is not about boasting, those of us who are actually into keeping ourselves in shape sometimes like to discuss training techniques/acheivements etc. If you're not interested or just want to mock people who have obviously worked harder and achieved more in that way than you probably ever will then we don't need your input into this thread.
Grubrunner I hope you do continue to contribute to this thread as myself (and I'm sure Steve and others) value the input and opinions on this subject of somebody who has trained and competed at a far higher level than ourselves. If EA wants to act like a stupid little boy and accuse you of boasting then let him, let me assure you that hes in the minority here.

Mate why do you have to gee-up andmake a mockery out of just about every post and posterhere since you came?
Why can't you let things be for a change? Are you that much of an attention seeker? Weren't the kids at TFS giving you the time of day anymore?
This was a good serious thread till you pocked your foul mouth into it.
You're a bloody joke mate! Type of guy who's a Neville in real life but tries to display the complete opposite over the security of a screen. Believe me mate, I'm not the only one that sees past your smokescreen.
Didn't you get lost from here not long ago?
Do many here a favour and stay lost!
'fan-baller

Good on you Spacemonkey :)
I hope Grubrunner takes your advice and returns with some insight to a great topic. The guy has a shite load of experience and I'd like some insight into his info. His acheivements speak for themselves.
Why do the managers put up with this clown EA? The only thing this imbecile has done since coming here is abusing and mocking people and turning serious disscussions into complete jokes.
f**k him and his type!
'fan-baller

Latest posts