What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your bench press?

Navigator

Juniors
G-day Evilgrowler.
Thanks for your insight. Do you recommend brand A over brand B or is CM in general all the same?

V

Vertigo

It's a shame Grubrunner has departed this discussion. The thread seemed to all but die after his departure.
I still have one or two questions I'd like to ask you Grubrunner...if you are reading.
I see his last posting on LWOS was here in this this thread, when he reported his muscle tear and surgery. I'm starting to think the worse. I hope he is all right.
V.

C

CanadianSteve

I tried creatine a few years ago. At first I thought it was helping me train harder, but then I noticed my pants fitting tighter around the waistand thought I was getting bloated from it. Which was a side-effect I'd heard about. So I quit using it.
I may not have used it properly, or have been training hard enough to get the benefit of it. But I haven't gone back to it. Is there any more concern about long term effects, e.g. on the liver, than there was a few years ago?

Navigator

Juniors
Is there any more concern about long term effects, e.g. on the liver, than there was a few years ago?

I don't think so Canadian Steve. At least I'm yet to see any reports that back those early claims.
I got interested in CM a few months back now after a friend who lifts religiouslysuggested it. Being the skepticI am (for health reasons-not financial), I researched some info on it mainly thru online medical journals and university studies. I couldn't find any bad reports on it. It seems that because we get CM thru our meals, mainly red meat, a little excess wouldn't hurt us.
This discussion has reflamed my interest. I think I'll head out to GNC or the local supplement shopthis weekend and buy some. All reports point towards nothing less than advantages.
I'll see.

As far as I know, Creatine helps you reach an intensity during workouts that can't be achieved without it. It's more or less a natural steroid without the side effects.

Steve, I've never heard of that happening mate. I've not had any problems with it at all apart from the taste.

I take it by the spoonful, not disolved in a glass.

S

SpaceMonkey

Steve, the bloating effect of creatine is normal but nothing to worry about; creatine achieves it's effect because it wicks water into the muscle tissue, and because of this you tend to get a bit bloated and retain a little water. However this is totally temporary, and as soon asd you stop taking the creatine (which you should be using in cycles anyway) it will go away. For this reason bodybuilders who use creatine will always stop taking it a couple of weeks prior to competition, as they need to shed the subcutaneous water retention that creatine promotes.
Evilgrowler, I think fat burners are useful, but thier use should be approached in the same way that you'd approach creatine use; they are usefull tools to help accelerate the gains of a training programme, but it is crucial to have a sound training regime in place in the fisrt place. I've used hydroxicut and I find the boost it gives you is excellent for upping the intensity of your cardio work.

V

Vertigo

"I think I'll head out to GNC or the local supplement shopthis weekend and buy some."
Navigator, are you located in the US?
I ask this question because you mention GNC (General Nutrition Center) who are based in the States.
V.

G'day Vertigo
Mate I don't know where Navigater is located, but GNC stores are all over Sydney now. They're probably in other cities and states around Oz also.
GNC LiveWell are the world's most popular herb, vitamin, weight management and sports nutrition retailer. There are 4,500 GNC stores in the USA where GNC are synonymous with health, and another 500 stores in 32 countries worldwide.

As of January 2002 there are 30 stores across Melbourne and Sydney with further stores set to open in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
http://www.hines.com.au/healthandnutrition.htm

Cheers / Aaron C

I'm sorry for the lack of communication lately. It had nothing to do with my injury which has healed just fine.
Due to no reason or choice of mine, I've been forced to stay away from the boards. I've had to fly overseas at almost a last minutes noticed. This post is being posted from London, England. I'll be here for at least around June or July of this year. Maybe even a month or two more.I don't have now, or will for the next few monthsinternet or computer access as I'm posting this from a friends computer. This is a one off post, and I will not be able to view the boards or input until I return home in a few months.
I'm sorry that I'm unable to answer some peoples questions that they asked me, but sometimes things happen and you have very little control over their outcome. Shit happens.
I hope to rejoin the board mid or late thisyear. Until then take good care of yourselves and each other, and keep this fine community rolling.
Lot's of best wishes from the Grubrunner™

'Til next time :)

V

Vertigo

Good luck in your endeavours Grubrunner, and thanks for the post to let us know your health is fine.
Look forward to your return at your convenience.
V.

C

CanadianSteve

Too bad Grubrunner can't get some computer access and give us his perspectives on sport in England.

C

CanadianSteve

I wonder if Grubrunner is back yet. If you see this, Grubrunner, I suppose you should join the gang at the front Row Forums.

B

bender

One thing that has always intrigued me about bench pressing is its relationship to strength. I have quite a few friends who can bench press an awfull lot more weight than me (and peck press and all those other weightlifting exercises they do). They are also a lot bigger than me, with stronger biceps, triceps and every other arm muscle you can think of. For all intensive purposes they should be twice as strong as me. Yet I can beat them in an arm wrestle. Why is this?

imported_kier

Juniors
There's a fair bit of technique in arm wrestling - maybe this is your advantage? It's possible that you may naturally have a technique which gives you a greater leverage - in which case it isn't a case of strength v strength.

C

CanadianSteve

I guess it's different muscles used in arm wrestling too. When I was younger I was the opposite - I was fairly strong on the bench press, but "weaker" guys could beat me in arm wrestling.