What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

\"Where are all my friends?\"

Foz

Bench
I disagreed with Smith coming into the side last week but when he wasn't selected in the 2nd test I couldn't have cared less. (either could the papers).
The excuse then was that if they flew in a player from Australia they would be jet lagged. Smith went ahead and trained with the team.
Now that Smith's getting a run in front of the other guys (Penrith guys in particular) the press wants to run a story. Richardson should have spoken up last week. (maybe he did but it wasnt newsworthy)
Most people would have wondered last week why Smith was even considered. Unfortunatey this set the precedent.
Anderson obviously doesnt want to move Lockyer or Wing to 5/8. Picking Croker there is a huge gamble.I can only assume he's picked Smith as an insurance policy if Croker doesnt work out.
Smith would go to lock and Ricketson to 5/8 or Smith would play 5/8.
Give me the Wing, Lockyer option anyday and throw in a Panther.
Even when Anderson wins he cops it but this criticism is well deserved.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Yeah I was a bit vague for a few days last week & missed the fact that Smith had been brought out of retirement for the squad.
I actually posted then about it being misprint when I read that he was considering smith for a position.
IT is a slap in the face to "emus" & shows just how desperate he is.

He doesn't mind taking a risk with our club by releasing & disposessing us of 2 million dollars worth of experience, but ask him to take risk & pick an emu, an understandable risk considering the injuries, oh no. oh no. Not my name going down next to a test loss.

The Popper

Bench
I'm here, Blacktip. :)
Ooops! I took this thread topic at it's face value and should've read the content. Silly me. :oops:

Frenzy

Juniors
For the record I think he should of gone with Wing 5/8 Lewis centre.

Having said that the Smith selection says to me that Ando didn't have the influence people think he did in the selection process. He's obviously got blokes there he didn't want - or he'd be using them.

PJ

First Grade
Given your obsession with Ando I'm surprised you missed yesterdays quote from Lockyer about him.

Oh wait, it was positive, so your blinkers cut that one out.

I can't understand why he made this decision but I fail to see how it makes him
how desperate he is

Shows he plays favourites, and is arrogant and possibly shows his vindictiveness but I fail to see how it shows desperation.

wittyfan

Referee
:lol: Anderson seems to know that this will be his last test as coach and doesn't care about ruffling a few feathers on the way out. Poor Luke and Joel though, you'd think that after their great form for Penrith this year would have seen them play at least one test on tour.

Darren Smith being chosen - what an embarrassment. But we already knew CA plays favourites and that's his prerogative. But as noted in the article, CA might pay in the end by not having his contract as Aus coach renewed.

Way to get people pissed off at the ARL during rugby world cup week too.

Nages

Juniors
I think bringing Smith in is the masterstroke of a genius coach. Instead of doing the politically correct thing, he's brought in a tough utility player who will perform at this level in a variety of positions. Instead of consulting management back home, he consulted his senior players who love the idea. That’s why he’s such a great coach, he knows he’s not there to win a popularity contest. Just footy games.

wittyfan

Referee
Nages said:
I think bringing Smith in is the masterstroke of a genius coach. Instead of doing the politically correct thing, he's brought in a tough utility player who will perform at this level in a variety of positions. Instead of consulting management back home, he consulted his senior players who love the idea. That’s why he’s such a great coach, he knows he’s not there to win a popularity contest. Just footy games.

Darren Smith is 34 years old and not played in the NRL for over 12 months. A gamble? Yes. A masterstroke? No.

Foz

Bench
I had been under the impression Darren Smith and Anderson didnt see eye to eye when both were at the Dogs? Not sure if that was true as we were after his brother at one stage-I think.
I know Richard V........ had an ordinary one against Wales but even he would have got my vote V Darren Smith.
GB 13plus is paying $4.75. I hope Australia win but this may be worth a dollar or 2.

wittyfan

Referee
Lockyer - "The selectors and Chris have picked a team that we feel is going to give us the best chance."

:? Doesn't the coach solely select the teams while on tour?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, a ton friends in that article. :lol: :lol:
A toe the line comment from lockyer & multiple comments from.........Kimmorley!!!

Anyone who has watched Darren Smith play this year know he is way past it. He is overweight, slow & unfit. His brother would have been a better choice.
Lewis is twice the player of Smith.
I hope for Smiths sake that he gets up enough adrenalin to lift him through the game & he does not embarrass himself, because he was a great player & it would be sad to see him finish like that.

millersnose

Post Whore
blacktip-reefy said:
Anyone who has watched Darren Smith play this year know he is way past it. He is overweight, slow & unfit. His brother would have been a better choice.
Lewis is twice the player of Smith.
I hope for Smiths sake that he gets up enough adrenalin to lift him through the game & he does not embarrass himself, because he was a great player & it would be sad to see him finish like that.

although i think you have slightly underrated mr smith i have to agree and add

why bring the youngsters in the first place????

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I have always rated both Smiths as great players. Great.
But he is past it Millers. Way past it, at this level.
But excitement & adrenalin can do funny things.
He is lucky there is no Stacey Jones, Gasnier, Campbell, Senior or anyone liuke that running at him though, because anyone with half of a step has got him.

BTW, this selection totally contradicts what he does at a club level, which is of far more importance to us, I would suspect. Just adds more fuel to the fire that he makes it all up as he goes along.

Sharkie73

Bench
Oh what the hell bring Jarrod over just in case as well, This is proberly the lowest Act Ando has performed so far. What a slap in the face for the young guys who where slected for the tour. I was almost going to give the bloke a go next year if he stayed at the sharks but this just reminded me why he has to go.

Question the coach get the arse and never get picked.

Playing Smith is a ludicrous selection in my opinion. A conservative, negative choice in a test series that is already decided.

Personally I'd love to see some new blood given a chance like Lewis and Clinton. I reckon Lewis is a great player, and should be given a go.

Nages

Juniors
New blood is great, until we need a forward and we don't have one on the bench. Or we need a back and we can't fill in.

Ando's point is this is an Australian team and we must pick a team to win.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is football - not the Miss Australia pageant. It's on what you win, not how many friends you make.

Latest posts